how do you motivate yourself to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywriter16

New at this!
Registered
Reaction score
so I have been "taking a break" from my WIP but it's more like I just can't get motivated. I have tried reading my favorite authors, reading stories on here, and I can't seem to find motivation. I really want to start writing on it again because I miss it (that must sound corny) but I just can't seem to put my butt in the chair and type... What do I do, Is there anything you all do for extra motivation?:flag:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Guilt. I say to myself: "Parametric, if you can't put words on paper, you are not a writer. You are a talker-about-writinger. You are a slacker, a poser and a failure. You hate yourself and want to die. Only through writing can you gain validation! Now put your ass on the chair and your hands on the keyboard!"

Usually works. :tongue

skywriter16

New at this!
Registered
Reaction score
Guilt. I say to myself: "Parametric, if you can't put words on paper, you are not a writer. You are a talker-about-writinger. You are a slacker, a poser and a failure. You hate yourself and want to die. Only through writing can you gain validation! Now put your ass on the chair and your hands on the keyboard!"

Usually works. :tongue

now chastising myself that could work...i'll certainly try it;)

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
What motivates me to write?

I remind myself that making something beautiful with words, even if it's nothing more than an overturned kerosene can in an abandoned yard, is more than just entertainment. Writing is important on so many levels. Once I remember this, I can't keep myself from it.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... just say to myself, "Ken, you've got to do some writing, now, whether you want to or not."
Works 75% of the time, which ain't bad.

the_Unknown

Drinking your story's blood...
Registered
Reaction score
I also have this problem, but it's really just me getting stubborn and wanting to finish where I am instead of skipping over.

Screw it. Just skip over and write something cool. Later you can go back and change settings/characters and patch plot holes.

Write what excites and interests you and you can write with ease.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
I've found that posting goals and joining in challenges and such with deadlines forces me to write. Specifically here on AW. It seems that if I say out loud what I should do--I will actually follow through with it most of the time. Even if it not 100% of the time. Just having it laid out there where other people can see it-- "I will do XXX this week" forces me to remain accountable.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
so I have been "taking a break" from my WIP but it's more like I just can't get motivated. I have tried reading my favorite authors, reading stories on here, and I can't seem to find motivation. I really want to start writing on it again because I miss it (that must sound corny) but I just can't seem to put my butt in the chair and type... What do I do, Is there anything you all do for extra motivation?:flag:
You have your answer right there (bolding mine). You need to ask yourself, 'is writing what i really want to do? Because if it is then i need to put in the hard work.'

Worthwhile goals are almost never easily achievable and require discipline to attain.

I think it was Uncle Jim over in his Learn Writing thread (i could be wrong, however, but i know somebody's said it :D) that gave this as something to try: Set aside two hours to write in a room with no other distractions. Just the computer screen in front of you or a notepad, or whatever. Lock yourself away and allow yourself to do nothing else except write for two hours. Pretty soon you'll be writing. Anything's better than staring at nothing for two hours.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I can't do it. I had to start a critique group that gives strikes when we don't make a weekly quota. :) I'm at fifty MS Word pages in seven weeks (we do 10pp a week, but my first week was a 10-page novel outline and I re-submitted one section because I had to make huge structural novel-affecting changes to answer some valid issues brought out in critiques), so it's working.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I was forced to have two weeks away from writing. My wife and I had two weeks in Fiji and I wasn't allowed to take my laptop. When I returned, I realised I wasn't happy with my WIP. I'd been procrastinating over the previous two weeks but now I realise that it is because the writing isn't as tight as my other works. So now I'm attacking it with the razor and cutting off anything unnecessary. I'm feeling better about it already. When it's back to my normal style I'll be able to progress.

So if you're not getting into your wip, edit it. When it's exactly what you want, you'll want to continue.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I don't bother trying to motivate myself when I don't feel like writing. Instead, I sit down and start writing whether I like it or not.

Granted, I do whine about it occasionally, but at least stuff gets done.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Write up a contract to your dream agent/publisher. Stick it on your desk like you have deadlines to meet.

JJ

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at people who say they only write when the inspiration strikes. If I waited around for inspiration, I'd have all of two words written: "The End." My inspiration comes as I type and force myself to show up in the chair. I don't force myself to meet a certain quota of words, though. I think that's silly. (I could write a ton of purple prose that way and call it a day). But I do have daily goals of scenes I want to finish writing, editing I need to do on a chapter, etc, that keep me on task.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I like electricity and food. And I enjoy writing. That's plenty of motivation right there. If you're having to fight *that* hard to get motivated, then maybe this isn't the gig for you. Either you want to succeed at being a writer, or not. It's that simple. How bad do you want it?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Start another project--some new idea that is fresh, exciting, and gets the words flowing. Then, when that one gets a little tough, start on another new, fresh and exciting idea. When that one gets a little tough, jump to another new one. That way, you'll never have to worry about this writing thing becoming the least bit work-like and you'll never have to face the challenge of sending out a finished project for professional evaluation. It's the ultimate safe house.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I keep going because I like having written. I like when the words and scenes work out, so I'll keep going because I can't write things I'm happy with unless I actually write. But over all, I keep going because I love having the finished product. The short stories for submission or the novel that will land me an agent (and publication.)

It's like my lawn. I have an acre of lawn and a push mower. I don't get excited about mowing the lawn, but oh, do I love how it looks when I'm done (3.5 hours later...)

If you're stuck in your story, I think you need to look at what happens next. Perhaps you're writing a character in a way that is against who they are. Perhaps you are writing boring scenes, but don't want to admit you are bored writing them (in which case, just skip ahead), perhaps you are writing a conflict that is implausible or unimportant. Time to think, hard and brutally honest about what's going on in your story. I find I stop when I don't know what happens or I've written something wrong... but I KEEP WRITING because, as I write, the ideas breed other ideas, characters say things that close plot holes, and the story will slowly come together as I continue on.

But you can always go with Nero's advice.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Two things I've been doing lately that have helped me keep myself in the game:

I have my current WIP open at all times when I'm using the computer until my goal for the day is met. That way I just keep staring at it, and sooner or later I'll get tired of looking and just start working on it.

Also kept open in a Firefox tab is Neuro's challenge. Nothing motivates me like trying to prove someone wrong. :p I'm kidding, but the intent is certainly there, and quite effective at that. One day soon I will be able to add a post of my own to that thread. Then another, and another...

As you can see from my sig I too struggle with motivation; I'm great at starting, terrible at finishing. My current WIP is the farthest I've ever been in a long project and I am determined to make it the first one to reach the end.

The bottom line is, experiment until you find something that works for you and stick with it. You'll get there sooner or later. :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My stories won't write themselves. If I don't write them, no one else is going to do it for me.

For folks who want to make a career out of this, motivation is a bad word. Discipline is the key: Butt In Chair, Fingers On Keyboard. Once you're working under actual deadlines, you can't wait around for motivation/inspiration.

For folks who write for the sheer joy of it, that should be motivation enough. The exact reason you sit down and write stories should be enough to motivate you to do it.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The general feeling I get, from reading what people have posted on this site and others, is that most writers get rather caught up in not being able to write. This is something of a Catch 22. If you don't have the need to put pen to paper, then the feeling will remain with you for far longer than it need.
I don't read the works of other writers when the mental ink dries up. It harms my ability to see what I want to write, and gives me the false impression that I should be writing in the style / form / setting in which the author I'm reading has used.
The best way for me to get back to a project (and this is a subjective solution to a problem which is personal for everyone) is to watch television, listen to music, play a DVD, put on a computer game for a while... Anything other than reading a book. When I finish watching, listening or playing, I use the stimulus to generate something that resembles useful writing. It doesn't always result in ideas, phrases or scenes that are anything near useful, but it can get me out of a rut more often than not.

I can't remember which author gave the advice, but there is a scene-adoption technique that I also tried to work with. The basic idea is to switch on a program (TV or radio) in the middle of an episode, and switch off again before the end of the episode. Your assignment would be to write a scenario that gets the characters into the scene, then conclude events after the portion you watch or listen to.

Don't give up.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I go through phases where I paint, go on a cooking or baking spree, garden or whatnot. I always come back around to writing, but it's fun to have other side projects going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.