Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Paying Markets
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Bobster
Think loose, write tight!

Bobster is on a distinguished road
Latest Fiction Submission Guide for Woman's World

(For future copies, send e-mail request to DearWW@bauerpublishing.com)

Received in e-mail today (5/28/09):

WOMAN'S WORLD

FICTION GUIDELINES

Romance guidelines:

We buy contemporary romances of 800 words. Stories must revolve around a compelling, true-to-life relationship dilemma; may feature either a female or male protagonist; and may be written in either the first or third person. Characters may be married, single, divorced or widowed; should be down-to-earth (no yuppies or jet-setters); and their dilemma should be poignantly or humorously conveyed. Please think carefully about a story's setting, mood and plot, and tell the story with interesting action and dialogue. (Every sentence, paragraph, and scene of the story should deliver more information about your characters and their situation and/or briskly advance the storyline).

We are not interested in stories involving life-or-death matters, nor are we interested in fluffy, flyaway-style romance. When we say romance, what we really mean is relationship--whether it's just beginning or is about to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The emphasis in our stories is on real life-which is why we do not buy science fiction, fantasy or historical romance.

We pay $800 per romance and retain First North American Serial Rights for six months after publication.

Mini mystery guidelines:

We purchase short "solve-it-yourself" mysteries of 700 words--a count that includes the narrative and the solution. Stories should be cleverly plotted, entertaining cliffhangers that end with a challenge to the reader to figure out whodunnit or howdunnit. The solution to the mystery is provided in a separate box.

Robbery, burglary, fraud and murder are acceptable subjects, but spare the readers any gory details or excessive violence, please! We are also not interested in ghost stories, science fiction or fantasy.

We pay $500 per mystery and retain First North American Serial Rights for six months after publication.

IMPORTANT NOTES!

Manuscripts should be double-spaced in legible size type.

Where to send manuscripts: Fiction Editor, Woman's World, 270 Sylvan Ave., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632. Indicate Mini Mystery or Romance on the envelope.

How to send manuscripts: (1) You must include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope to receive a reply. Manuscripts not accompanied by a SASE will be discarded. Note: A #10 SASE is necessary not just for a response, but for your contract if we purchase your story.
(2) Please DO NOT fax or e-mail manuscripts--because such submissions do not include SASEs, we have no means of responding to your submission.

Get to know us: Please familiarize yourself thoroughly with our romances and mini mysteries before submitting your work.

Be patient: Because we receive a tremendous volume of manuscripts, our turnaround time may range from one to six months. If you still have not heard from us after that time, feel free to re-submit your manuscript. Please do not call or write us to inquire about a manuscript's status.

Last edited by Bobster; 05-29-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for posting this!

Storybook Love: A romance novella set at a storybook park.

Something Old, Something New: A short romance set at a storybook park.

www.carolayer.com
seaaircarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
thewritegirl
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

thewritegirl is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this! I have a story I want to send them.
thewritegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
mariedees
practical experience, FTW

mariedees is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Oddly, I was wondering the other day what their romance guidelines were now.

Marie
Old 05-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Finchlark

Finchlark has a spectacular aura
Anyone know if they accept submissions from outside USA? SASE will be difficult from another country.
Finchlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

seaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseaaircarol is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not sure, Finchlark. You could send an e-mail to the address shown in the original post. Hope it works out for you!

www.carolayer.com
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Be aware that with one of the biggest paydays in short fiction, the competition for this market is notoriously fierce. I no longer remember the number, but it's hundreds of submissions vying for every slot. It's odd that in my genre, I'm underwhelmed with their choices, but have critiqued work they rejected which I considered far better.

Still, somebody's stuff is chosen, so maybe it'll be yours, or mine, right?

Maryn, occasionally optimistic
Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Finchlark

Well I emailed them a few days ago but they have not replied, so I'll take that as a No then.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
Be aware that with one of the biggest paydays in short fiction, the competition for this market is notoriously fierce. I no longer remember the number, but it's hundreds of submissions vying for every slot.
IIRC, they receive about 2500 submissions a month for 4 to 5 slots.

I'd considered writing for them, but with the new word count dropping at flash fiction levels, I feel the stories are suffering because of it. The payday is nice, but I can barely write a decent relationship-type story in 1000 words, let alone 800.

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Last edited by Bubastes; 06-03-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchlark View Post
Well I emailed them a few days ago but they have not replied, so I'll take that as a No then.
Interesting. When I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they would accept a new story even when they haven't responded to an old one yet, I heard back within the hour (the answer was yes, by the way. We have a thread on it).

Maybe the answer to your question wasn't so easy, so it had to be forwarded on to the editors.

ETA: I just checked the e-mail address I used. I used DearWW@aol.com. Not sure if that would make a difference.

www.carolayer.com

Last edited by seaaircarol; 06-03-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Finchlark

Thanks I'll try that email also
Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
Finchlark

I received this response from the latest email address

Thank you for your email. We do accept submissions from outside the U.S. If you are submitting a NonFiction story to our features department, you may email it to: wwfeatures@bauerpublishing.com.
For Romantic Fiction or Solve-It-Yourself Mysteries, you would need to send those to us. While we do suggest sending an SASE, it is not mandatory. We recommend checking with your local post office for guidance about the SASE. If it is not possible, we will accept your submission without it.
We look forward to receiving your story.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
brainstorm77

brainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrainstorm77 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not accepting outside the USA cuts out many people including me! I think thats kinda shitty for them since they sell their mag in Canada too.
brainstorm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainstorm77 View Post
Not accepting outside the USA cuts out many people including me! I think thats kinda shitty for them since they sell their mag in Canada too.
Uh, it says they do.

Maryn, just sayin' is all
Old 06-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
cool_st_elizabeth
Last person who isn't on Facebook

cool_st_elizabeth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaaircarol View Post
Interesting. When I e-mailed them a couple of weeks ago to ask if they would accept a new story even when they haven't responded to an old one yet, I heard back within the hour (the answer was yes, by the way. We have a thread on it).

ETA: I just checked the e-mail address I used. I used DearWW@aol.com. Not sure if that would make a difference.
Thank you for this, seaaircarol. I hope you hear good news from them soon!
cool_st_elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #16
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

Thanks! I saw in the other thread that you've been waiting 8 months! Good luck to you, as well.

www.carolayer.com
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #17
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

For what it's worth, a writing acquaintance subbed a mini-mystery I'd critiqued. Her reply (a rejection) took about two months. The story was a good example of something I consider substantially better than the mini-mysteries they accept. We've been puzzling over the reasoning behind their choices.

Maryn, suspecting the work was not properly targeted at the readership
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

It's a very tough market.

I've subbed both romances and mysteries--many of them.

I've had one romance and one mystery accepted.

Sometimes I do think there is luck involved. The story somehow strikes the right chord and doesn't necessarily have to be an incredibly well-written piece.

The stories have to make it through 3 people, by the way: an initial reader, Johnene Granger (the fiction editor), and the Editor in Chief.

You know you at least made it to Johnene if the rejection comes from Seattle. Sometimes she'll tell you that she liked it but the EIC did not.

www.carolayer.com
Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #19
Kate Thornton
Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere

Kate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKate Thornton is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I will always be delighted with my mini-mystery, Key Witness, published by Woman's World ON MY BIRTHDAY! in 2000. Not to mention the very fat check!

Thank you, Johnene Granger! (She was mystery editor at the time)
Kate Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Pretty nice birthday present!

Maryn, who's had enough birthdays, thanks
Old 09-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #21
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two things: are the submission guidelines still the same as in 2009?

And I have a friend who submitted a mini-mystery to WW, a ms. he thought wasn't good at all. They accepted it. (And he's been pubbed in Ellery Queen Mystery Mag.)

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #22
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

Talking

Yes, I believe the guidelines are the same.

Number of words and the pay rate are definitely the same.

Good luck, everyone!

www.carolayer.com
Old 02-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #23
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
Does anybody know if this is still the same?

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
seaaircarol
Whose Idea Was This?

Yes, the guidelines are the same as those listed at the top of the thread.

www.carolayer.com
Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
snowsam
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

snowsam is on a distinguished road
Hi, does anyone know if you can still send in photos and bits to the Love and Laughter page? And, if you can do that by email? I'm in the UK as well, and my copy of the mag is from 2006!!
snowsam is offline   Reply With Quote