Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
judytrickett
figuring it all out

judytrickett is on a distinguished road
What is considered good blog traffic

I read a post on here that got me thinking. I have a blog that I started a mere 45 days ago. I "think" it's quite successful but maybe I'm just blowing smoke up my own butt!

Anyway, it's been published now for 45 days and I am getting about 200 visits a day and about 500 page views per day.

Is this normal (or more or less)???
judytrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
alanorloff
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

alanorloff is on a distinguished road
Sounds good to me.

I wish I was getting that many hits on my blog!

DIAMONDS FOR THE DEAD, Midnight Ink 2010
www.alanorloff.com
A Million Blogging Monkeys
alanorloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
flashgordon
practical experience, FTW

flashgordon is on a distinguished road
I would say that is very good traffic, especially for how old it is. Care to share any tricks? What did you do in only 45 days to get that?

I have a couple blogs that get much more traffic, but they have been around for over a year and have substantial backlinks and history to warrant it. 45 days is fairly fast and I would be interested in hearing what you have been doing for promotion.
flashgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
mmorsepfd

mmorsepfd is on a distinguished road
That is fantastic! I've been doing my blog for three years and get about 150 visits a day. Keep doing what you are doing, it's working.

www.rescuing-providence.blogspot.com
mmorsepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
mmorsepfd

mmorsepfd is on a distinguished road
I just left your blog, in my humble opinion your traffic will do nothing but increase. Your subject matter is something tons of people have an interest in and you present it with flair.

I have no idea where that "flair" thing came from, but it seems to fit!

Good luck
mmorsepfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #6
judytrickett
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorsepfd View Post
. Your subject matter is something tons of people have an interest in and you present it with flair.

I have no idea where that "flair" thing came from, but it seems to fit!

Good luck
Oh, you're making me blush! But thanks for making my day!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #7
spamwarrior
rewriting.

spamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsspamwarrior is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh wow, that is so awesome. My blog only gets between 30 to 50 visits, and I thought that was a lot.

I read the posts, and it's quite funny. Love it!

Follow me on Twitter
spamwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
judytrickett
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon View Post
I would say that is very good traffic, especially for how old it is. Care to share any tricks? What did you do in only 45 days to get that?

I'm not sure what I did. When I started the blog it was more of a method to vent my frustrations. Then I told a few other people who also do the same job and they read it and told me I needed to take it public. So, I moderate a few daycare provider message boards and I started to include the blog in my siggie. Next thing I knew there were all these people visiting each day. I'm in Ontario, Canada and I now have people from Europe, the US and Canada reading daily. Everyday my visit count goes up about 10-15 people.

I do post daily. Often twice a day. I don't post on Saturday or Sunday. Sorry I don't have some magic formula to share. Now, if I could only get everyone who visited to find one ad of interest I would actually make some money doing this too. Sigh....
Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #9
vrabinec
Dipwad

vrabinec is a shiny, shiny jewelvrabinec is a shiny, shiny jewel
I started mine May 21st, and I get 3-4 visits per day. So, ya got me beat. Of course, I'm not doing the ad thing, so I don't really care. I had one on AOL Journals before AOL nuked them all, and my ego pressed me to try to drive up the traffic. I found it to be a lot of work for an ego boost. Of course, yours is of a different nature. I can see parents flocking to read it, in the hopes of gaining some insight into their daycare providers and their children. Mine's just b.s.

Getting people to click on the ads is a completely seperate matter. I'd think about dropping the adsense Google thing and going with one of the blog support sites that pays for unique clicks to the site. I think you'd do much better that way. Maybe I'm worng, and someone correct me if I am, but adsense seems like a drop in the river. Their ads are little more than an annoyance.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
judytrickett
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
I'd think about dropping the adsense Google thing and going with one of the blog support sites that pays for unique clicks to the site. .
My being green is showing now as I ask you what you are referring to??? Do you have a name or link for me to investigate further?

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
vrabinec
Dipwad

vrabinec is a shiny, shiny jewelvrabinec is a shiny, shiny jewel
I saw it come up when I was perusing this thred:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=105578

Not sure exactly where, but the info is in there.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ressurrecting this thread for a not dissimilar question: Has anyone else experienced a massive increase in visitors to their blog through a single post, or are readers normally gained through time? I've posted an attack on Microsoft* on my blog and experienced a massive jump in people coming to my blog. We're talking four-fold on previous posts here, not just a small increase.

*Should I expect black helicopters to start hovering over my house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #13
myrmidon
i AM batman (not really)

myrmidon has a spectacular aura
trickett: 500 page views per day is great for a new blog. Keep up whatever you're doing. I'm averaging around 500 to 600 hits a day at this point, but I've been doing it for almost two years, so you are doing great!

I think the biggest key to driving up viewership (other than having original interesting content of course) is posting daily whenever possible. The trick (I think) is to get yourself in the regular rotation. Most people I know (including me) have certain sites they bookmark and go to every day, but I find if I go to a site too many times with no new content it seems to drop out of my mind and I forget to go. And I have to make a concerted effort to remember to go back there. So posting frequent quality posts and staying in the rotation (which can get exhausting by the way) is the key as far as I'm concerned.

Big Words: In my experience a few things have kind of taken me up to the next level. I was a featured "reader of the day" on popcandy (which is not really a big deal, anyone can get picked - you just have to email Whitney at popcandy) but she has a really large and devoted following, and after being featured there my hits jumped from about 100 - 150 a day to more like 300 a day. Then I started writing posts that were getting picked up by a popular linking site called When Fangirls Attack, and since they've started carrying my posts pretty frequently my hits went from 300 to about 500. So it's a slow build, but everything helps. I still wish I got more comments though. People show up to my blog, but I'm still not getting the comment level I'd like to get

Oh - and congrats trickett!
myrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #14
myrmidon
i AM batman (not really)

myrmidon has a spectacular aura
trickett: A question - I see you have ads on your blog...how is this working out for you? Since you're getting similar hit levels to me - do you actually see any money from carrying the ads? I've been thinking about adding ads to my blog since I'm out of work and my hits have been going up, but am not sure it's worth the effort - especially since I'd have to switch from wordpress (I think). Anyway, would love to hear how it's working for you...
myrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
aimeelaine

aimeelaine is on a distinguished road
That is AWESOME traffic! We get about double that on our photography site and it's been up 4.5 YEARS! My writing blog is only up to 20-30 a day now, and it's been up about 60 days. Kudos to you!

WIPs:
Day After & Silent Echoes

Completed Novels
After Dark, First Kiss(es), Do Over, Hide and Seek & Mystic Therapy

Website | Facebook | Twitter
Also writing as Emi J. Gayle.
aimeelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Matera the Mad
And God said, "Let there be Linux!"

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good content means good traffic. Of course hotwords like "Microsoft sucks" will always cause an increase. My website gets a lot of search hits for things that are not an important part of it. Dunno about my blog, poor baby is neglected by me
Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #17
bsolah
AW's Resident Commie

bsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by judytrickett View Post
I read a post on here that got me thinking. I have a blog that I started a mere 45 days ago. I "think" it's quite successful but maybe I'm just blowing smoke up my own butt!

Anyway, it's been published now for 45 days and I am getting about 200 visits a day and about 500 page views per day.

Is this normal (or more or less)???
To answer the original question, yes, that's really good for a beginning blog. If you're still following this thread, how's the traffic looking now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
Ressurrecting this thread for a not dissimilar question: Has anyone else experienced a massive increase in visitors to their blog through a single post, or are readers normally gained through time? I've posted an attack on Microsoft* on my blog and experienced a massive jump in people coming to my blog. We're talking four-fold on previous posts here, not just a small increase.

I tend to go through a steady growth and at times, there are spikes if I get linked from somewhere prominent.

But also there can be steady declines if you start posting less or there's something 'wrong' with your blog. Or you can have a slump if your site goes down for a day and people need to be coaxed into coming back.

Homepage | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Sanity Juxtaposed
bsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #18
judytrickett
figuring it all out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsolah View Post
To answer the original question, yes, that's really good for a beginning blog. If you're still following this thread, how's the traffic looking now?

It's still pretty good, I guess. If I figure it out both with a five day, Monday through Friday week (which is when my target audience is on-line. Most of them spend most time on during the work week and rarely on weekends), and then again with a standard seven day week my average stats are now like this:

Mon-Fri week:

169 visitors a day
424 page views a day

Seven day week:

120 visitors a day
302 page views a day

My blog is now 91 days since I publicly gave out the first link on a message board.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #19
bsolah
AW's Resident Commie

bsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudgebsolah is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Yeah, that is still quite high compared to me.

At my peak I was at like 70-80 hits per day and now it's down to 40-50 per day after my site crashed for a day and I did a redesign of my site.

Homepage | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Sanity Juxtaposed
bsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
Nick Russell

Nick Russell has a spectacular aura
Good numbers for so early on. I'm impressed!
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #21
upsidedowngrl
Noelle Nolan

upsidedowngrl is on a distinguished road
Thats great. I've had one of my blogs up for about a year and am lucky if I get a few hits a day. My newest one I really don't think has had any hits at all.

Best of luck.
Noelle Nolan
"Tough Love and Tons of Support is What Every Writer Needs - So Don't Sugar Coat It!!!"

"Jealousy is the best comment you will ever receive!"
upsidedowngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 AM   #22
errantruth

errantruth has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post

Can you see where people are coming from? I had the same thing happen thanks to someone (Armenian, I'm guessing) randomly clicking on my blog, seeing a photo and post they liked, and posting it to one of those linking sites. The thing is, everyone who comes through that goes only to the Armenian post and nothing else Hilarious as that's not "my market."

So...did your Microsoft post yield folks coming from any particular site? If you keep referencing Microsoft they may keep coming.

First WIP: rewrite phase
First screenplay: getting notes
Second screenplay: planning the second act

"Seize the hour." ~ Sophocles
errantruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #23
thomprecision
Banned

thomprecision is on a distinguished road
That sounds like great traffic to me, especially since your blog is still very young!

It seems like you were able to successfully link the right audience to your blog, people in the child care industry through your forum moderation. That traffic is the best kind of traffic, because you site probably has what they are looking for. I would keep up all the forum posting. You might also want to use something free like Google Analytics to see how much of your traffic is coming from referred sites (places with links). And how much is coming directly from the search engines.

That will give you more of an idea of how product your forum moderating is for directing traffic.

Keep up the good work!
thomprecision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #24
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by errantruth View Post
So...did your Microsoft post yield folks coming from any particular site? If you keep referencing Microsoft they may keep coming.
The unusual spike in traffic is from Google. I'm not going to list the particular .dmp files which have been getting people onto my blog, but listing techy stuff seems to do the trick.

I'm in two minds as to wether I should post another tech-heavy piece, with something I know people are confused about (csrss.exe comes to mind). The traffic is still steady because of the previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #25
Ms Hollands
Cow lover

Ms Hollands is a glorious beacon of lightMs Hollands is a glorious beacon of lightMs Hollands is a glorious beacon of light
Strangely, I woke up this morning to find 60 hits on my blog (normally it's about 5 overnight) - a great way to start the day! Turns out hat a pizza blogger liked a post I did back in 2008 and put a little text link to it on the pizza blog. Wow! Pizza.