Gathering Storm Review [The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan]

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Was cleaning out my bookmarks, and came across the 13depository blog.

Dragonmount review.

Pretty good review. For the first time, I am actually interested in what's going to happen to Egwene. And Rand, one of my favs, I can't wait to find out what he goes through. As powerful as Dumai Wells? Can't wait.

Last edited:

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Are any of you reading the wheel of time series? I am currently reading book 8 of it. I find it to be an enjoyable read so far, although the plot can be slow-moving at time.

There is another thread discussing this series, at least in part. It can be very slow-moving. But, if I can recall, Book 8 was rather enjoyable. You might fall asleep with Book 9 and 10. Get the audiobook. On another note, I am somewhat displeased with how the new author has written them. They just don't keep my interest. I'll still get the new one when it comes out.

LilGreenBookworm

I write with crayons.
Registered
Reaction score
There is another thread discussing this series, at least in part. It can be very slow-moving. But, if I can recall, Book 8 was rather enjoyable. You might fall asleep with Book 9 and 10. Get the audiobook. On another note, I am somewhat displeased with how the new author has written them. They just don't keep my interest. I'll still get the new one when it comes out.

Ditto to the bolded. It just doesn't feel the same, if that makes sense. Is Sanderson a good writer? Probably, when he's writing his own work, but not Jordan's. IMO.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Sanderson is an amazing writer IMHO, but this isn't his story. He's been a lifelong fan of Jordan and loves the story, but there's just no way he can live up to what RJ did. I think thats why it's so easy to tell the difference between the two, not that its bad writing.

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
Sanderson is an amazing writer IMHO, but this isn't his story. He's been a lifelong fan of Jordan and loves the story, but there's just no way he can live up to what RJ did. I think thats why it's so easy to tell the difference between the two, not that its bad writing.

Since I've never read his other works, I can't really speak to his talent, or my perception thereof. I think because it's not the same as what Jordan did, it sets me off.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Ironically, I really like Sanderson's take on the Wheel of Time. I'm miffed it's taking so long. It's been ages, and they said it was going to be "bam bam bam" on the release of the last 30 books. I mean... 5 books. Or 4. Or whatever it was supposed to be.

I found books 5-7 to be horrifically boring. Drives me crazy. It gets better and better as it goes along from there.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I have never been able to get past book 5 of this series. It just crawls too much. Too many characters to try to keep track of in my head. Overwhelmed by details.

My Girlfriend, otoh, has read through them five times and is anxious for the next one.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I've been reading these since high school, and each time a new one comes out I have to reread four or five of the latest ones just to remember who everyone is! I'm holding out until the last one is finally released, then I'll read through the whole thing again.

BlueMach5

Registered
Reaction score
The Wheel of Time series

I've been wanting to pick it up but ive heard so many mixed things. Does anyone have an opinion on the series? Does it have any similarities to fantasy novel's being published today? Thanks!

LordGopu

Registered
Reaction score
What's the general concensus on Wheel of Time?

I ask only because I've enjoyed every book I've ever read (to varying degrees) but I hated Wheel of Time; I couldn't even finish. I think I got past book 10 but it was so bad I had to stop. And fantasy is my favourite genre.

I want to know what people here think of it cuz I feel alone in hating it. I only read it because people kept raving about it. I think I made it to book 12 but I was sick of it somewhere between 4 and 7; it's been too long to remember what the individual plots were.

The only thing I can say that I liked about it was the magic. I thought the magic system and the way it was used was great. The idea that the bad guy poisoned the male half of the magic was interesting and the way they fought was good too.

The scene at the end of one of the books, where Rand has been captured by the Aes Sedai and he breaks free and completely submits them all was very awesome. That was the highlight of the series for me.

But IMO, everything else is done badly. The characters are boring and stupid. They do really dumb things and make terrible decisions that are unacceptable. The women are so terrible it's jarring whenever one is present. They all raise their noses with contempt and sniff derisively. They all fold their arms under their breasts. Come on.

The plot is OK but very little significant happens and when it does, it doesn't change much. Like the scene I mentioned above where Rand defeats the Aes Sedai. You want him to stand up for himself and he finally does but then in the next book he's barely any better than he was in previous books.

In relation to the plot, since all the main characters are from that same town where the pattern of the world is so tightly woven, they basically become unstoppable. That's the explanation given, from within the series, as to why they are all so powerful. They are literally walking deus ex machinas. All drama is lost because of this.

Like when Mat died early on and Rand balefired him back to life. Or when Mat uses his luck to solve anything and everything. Jordan tries to create drama but his characters are so powerful I was never worried anything was going to happen to them.

I think by the time I got to book 12, only one person of any significance had died. I think he was one of the lords who initially backed Rand. I believe he died in that attack that cost Rand his hand. But honestly, he wasn't really that important. Why can't he kill anyone off?

And that also leads to where I stopped reading. I think it was in book 12 where Rand looses his hand. That scene was so bad I think it made me stop the series.

He's going to a meeting with his entourage, everyone knows it's a trap and they say it and so what does Rand do? Does he take hold of his magic before they go into the trap? (Because he knows from past experiences that taking hold of it under stress doesn't always work). No. He waits until he gets into the trap, that he knew about, before scrambling for his magic and gets his hand blown off because he couldn't get it in time.

And then Jordan tries to make it seem like a handicap that he lost his hand but he's so powerful in magic that you find it hard to care.

Sorry for the rant, but what does everyone else think of this?