Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
Canotila
Sever your leg please.

Canotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for President
Transparent black stone

So...I need a transparent black stone. Pretty much like a smoky quartz/Apache tear, but there are no Apaches in the world I am writing about, and the word "smoky" in smoky quartz kind of tweaks with the tone of the sentence a little too much.

Anybody know of alternate names for that mineral? Or know of any similar looking minerals? It doesn't have to be a precious stone, any transparent-esque dark stone will do. Thank you so much for your time.
Canotila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Some black opals are translucent (rather than transparent).

You could just call it a black quartz or black stone and say it's transparent. Perhaps a type of stone never seen before in whatever world you're writing about.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Mumut
Well begun is half done...

Mumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for President
Black diamond? Is obsidian transparent? and Tourmaline (not sure if transparent but it is black).

Last edited by Mumut; 08-06-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Mumut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Use obsidian instead of Apache tear. An Apache tear is obsidian and obsidian occurs pretty much world wide where there are volcanoes that throw out volcanic glass. Puma
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #5
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Obsidian is the word you're looking for. It's essentially volcanic glass--it's what apache tears is.

Obisidian comes in transparent as crystal clear quartz, to a transparent jet black.

It's basically melted silica (glass), with mineral impurities that give it color.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
dahmnait
Just a figment…

dahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputation
In addition to the suggestions above:

Augite - http://webmineral.com/specimens/picshow.php?id=80

Biotite (Black Mica) - http://www.thunderhealing.org/rock/biotite.jpg

Melanite (variety of garnet) - http://edwardsminerals.com/proddetai...prod=Africa048

Last edited by dahmnait; 08-06-2009 at 09:34 PM.
dahmnait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Biotite would be transparent only in a very thin piece. But yes, mica (clear/white called muscovite) was what was used in stoves as Isenglas. Puma
Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
dahmnait
Just a figment…

dahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputationdahmnait has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Biotite would be transparent only in a very thin piece. But yes, mica (clear/white called muscovite) was what was used in stoves as Isenglas. Puma
Yes, it does depend on whether you (the op) are strictly looking for transparent. Larger or thicker peices will be translucent to opaque. Size does matter for this particular mineral.

On another note, if you are looking for something that most people will be able to identify, I would think that obsidian would be the best bet. Or something like Alleycat suggested, a stone never seen before in your world.

dahmnait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Obsidian seems best to me, most people know what it is.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #10
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Except that even obsidian, when black, is transparent only in the thinnest edges. Frankly, it's pretty hard to envision anything truly black as also being transparent. Look at deeply darkened car windows; they're illegal in many places precisely because you can't see into the car from outside.

caw
blacbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Canotila
Sever your leg please.

Canotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for PresidentCanotila should run for President
You all rock (no pun intended). Thank you so much, obsidian or mica should work.

That melanite is really pretty!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #12
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Obsidian, as i have seen it 'in the wild' comes in a range of shades.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Keyan
ubiquitous

Keyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admirationKeyan has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canotila View Post
You all rock (no pun intended). Thank you so much, obsidian or mica should work.

That melanite is really pretty!
I suggest if you use obsidian, you call it 'clear obsidian' or something like that - all the obsidian I've seen in quite opaque, so I'd trip on it if it was suddenly used to signify a transparent stone.
Keyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For some further clarification, volcanic glass (obsidian) potentially would be a common substance on any planet with active surficial geology and volcanic activity, so it would be a believable material. I'd suggest maybe using the term "dark" rather than "black" to describe the stuff, though. "Black" carries an implication of "opaque".

caw
blacbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #15
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumut View Post
Black diamond? Is obsidian transparent? and Tourmaline (not sure if transparent but it is black).
Black Obsidian isn't transparent but it comes in rainbow, snowflake, mahogany and other varieties (not sure any of them are translucent - I have jewelry and stones of all three and can't see through any of 'em)... neither is most black tourmaline... Two of my favorite stones though.

I don't know of any "black" stones that are transculent - most are opaque, especially Jet and Onyx.

Can I ask what the stone will be used for -- ie., will it represent something or be used for scrying, etc.?? I may be able to help if I know what the stone will represent...

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 PM   #16
dmytryp
Banned

dmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdmytryp is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Except that even obsidian, when black, is transparent only in the thinnest edges. Frankly, it's pretty hard to envision anything truly black as also being transparent. Look at deeply darkened car windows; they're illegal in many places precisely because you can't see into the car from outside.

caw
Not to be nit-picky here, but with the darkened glass it isn't a matter of transparency (after all, you can see fine from within) rather than thelack of light inside the vehicle. Same as you can't see much from inside an illuminated room to the dark outside.
As for transparensy as a function of color -- there is no connection. The reason of the transparency or lack there of is the size of the particles/grains amount of imperfections etc. For example, a dispersion of nano-size carbon black would be black, but very transparent (as it should be since the particles are smaller than the half wavelength). A black diamond with no imperfections will be transparent also. The transparency is seen, of course, only when you look through the object onto te light.
dmytryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 AM   #17
Oberon
practical experience, FTW

Oberon is a shiny, shiny jewelOberon is a shiny, shiny jewel
There are black agates, that are somewhate translucent. Obsidian (I have a huge chunk in my yard), is translucent only when thin enough, at which point it is gray, not black. You can get black stones with relatively translucent edges.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 AM   #18
Canotila
Sever your leg please.

Thanks again. Blacbird, that is a good distinction to make.

I was trying to describe a ghost, but dark instead of greyish/whitish like ghosts are normally portrayed. Something dark and transparent at the same time. I have a big sack of apache tears which is apparently the same thing as black obsidian. They look opaque laying on the ground or if you shine a light on them, but if you hold them in the air where light can shine through they are transparent. I guess that is the effect I am going for.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 AM   #19
Kurtz
Fix up, look sharp.

Kurtz is a glorious beacon of lightKurtz is a glorious beacon of lightKurtz is a glorious beacon of light
Obsidian edges can also be several times sharper than surgeons scalpels and never get blunted. Aztec macuahuitls (essentially cricket bats with wedges of obsidian glued to the sides) were able to cut the head off a horse in one blow. I would kill for a set of kitchen knives in obsidian. And probably be killed by them.
Kurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #20
hammerklavier
It was a dark and stormy night

hammerklavier has a spectacular aurahammerklavier has a spectacular aura
Mica very easily flakes into thin layers.
hammerklavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:36 PM   #21
Use Her Name
Hot bug on doll action!

Use Her Name is a glorious beacon of lightUse Her Name is a glorious beacon of lightUse Her Name is a glorious beacon of light
Apache tears are obsidian
Use Her Name is offline   Reply With Quote