Anais Nin

Reaction score
Can you believe I got to the age of 33 without reading any Nin?

The reason I started was, either as a joke or a stupendously undeserved compliment, the other day, someone compared my writing to hers.

"Huh?" thunk I. "I don't know if that's a good thing."

But having googled the snot out of her to see what I could see of her works, my reaction changed to: I wish.

But friends will tell you anything when they're gagging for the next chapter of your WIP...

So today I bought Delta of Venus and also got Eros Unbound from the library.

Absolutely chock-full of telling-not-showing and filtering. But also full of gems like this:
...all the mysterious links that roused and stirred places other than the one being kissed...
and
It was as if he enjoyed denying himself, while at the same time arousing them both to a breaking point with kissing.
What say you? Are you a fan? Recommendations as to which of her works I should read next?

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Little Birds is full of lovely imagery and language. I do like how she writes - but to be honest, I think Nin's work is quite dated now. It's certainly not raunchy either :0) More a gentle thoughtful eroticism

Last edited:

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Until you IMed me saying that you'd been likened to her, I'd never heard of her.

*Hangs head in faux shame*

The quotes you have in your post don't appeal though.

Uma

Registered
Reaction score
I fell in love with Anais after I read the first book of her diary when I was back in University. I loved the theme of being honest and exploring oneself so completely. Then I found out that she heavily edited the book as many of her loved ones didn't want to be included, so after feeling like 'I knew her' I learned she was married the whole time during the book but deleted her husband. I was actually very angered by this, as I thought it contradicted the entire message I took from the book. After that, not such a huge fan.

I've read a few of her fiction titles and find them slightly more tolerable, but I haven't quite forgiven her yet.

Gore Vidal often includes a 'Nin' satire character in his books who insists on 'enscorcelling' everything which always makes me giggle.

Many of the diaries have been rereleased in a less edited form, and I do admit I have read them. I think the most shocking thing she wrote about was her love affair with her father. These diaries are included in Incest

I think you are right, there are some great gems in there which is why I keep reading, but also quite a few rocks.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Nearer the Moon comes to mind...
‘I wanted passion - I got it, and its punishment too. I asked to be loved for my skin, feet, mouth, body, sex. And I got all the violence that accompanies desire.’

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I did one of those silly quizzes on FaceBook, What Writer/Author is the voice of your soul?, and it likened my work to Nin's. I've never actually read any of her works though.