Prologues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm totally ignorant to all of this, so bear with me (and my stupid questions).

What's the lowdown on Prologues?

I don't like my first chapter, and the majority of my book is actually NOT about the character that I mention in my first chapter (my antagonist). My protagonist is introduced in Chapter 2.

I just can't seem to "cut it out" though, because some of the background knowledge is necessary for things which happen later in the book.

I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that since prologues are useful for "setting up" the story and giving background information, that this might be a good fit then.

But someone told me that prologues and prefaces are supposed to be bigger "Attention grabbers" than the actual first chapter of the book (is this true?).

Someone (else) also told me that you can't use any narration or omniscient writing in a prologue at all. Is this true too?

Finally (last but not least), how long (word count) is a Prologue supposed to be?

Any other tips for writing a good Prologue?

As always, thank you much :)

Reaction score
There are approximately eleventy bajillion threads on prologues.

Search! Search, my friend!

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
My searches kept coming up as errors!!!!

I'll try again... I'm not usually computer illiterate, but I might be playing the ditz. It is the end of a very long workday ;)

SORRY!!!! Thanks :)

Reaction score
Be prepared for a fight. Last time the Prologuers started throwing bricks at the Anti-Prologulists, and the riot police were called in.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
*dives under desk*

OOoh maybe that's why I had to post it... to get some juicy stuff going again ;) (so very much j/k).

Eh. I give up. I'll search later. I think its firefox... or my VPN... sometimes I think it's possessed.

Thanks peaches!!!! :) *MWAH!*

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like my first chapter, and the majority of my book is actually NOT about the character that I mention in my first chapter (my antagonist). My protagonist is introduced in Chapter 2.

I just can't seem to "cut it out" though, because some of the background knowledge is necessary for things which happen later in the book.

I would question if the reason you can't cut it is because it's a "darling." Can the background information be provided elsewhere? Have you just gotten too close and possibly can't see other solutions? You know, an inability to see the forest for the trees.

I'm assuming (correct me if I'm wrong) that since prologues are useful for "setting up" the story and giving background information, that this might be a good fit then.

But someone told me that prologues and prefaces are supposed to be bigger "Attention grabbers" than the actual first chapter of the book (is this true?).

Well, know, I can't say that they have to grab the reader's attention more than the first chapter. I can't say that they're not supposed hook the reader, either. They are supposed to be the first thing a reader reads (and I do read prologues), so what they do need to do is 1) relate to the story, 2) add to the story, and 3) make the reader want to read the next page, just like every other part of the story should.

Someone (else) also told me that you can't use any narration or omniscient writing in a prologue at all. Is this true too?

Has anyone tried to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge recently? If so, don't buy that either.

Finally (last but not least), how long (word count) is a Prologue supposed to be?

Yes.

Any other tips for writing a good Prologue?

The same tips as writing a good novel, a good chapter, a good scene, a good paragraph, and a good sentence.

Be prepared for a fight. Last time the Prologuers started throwing bricks at the Anti-Prologulists, and the riot police were called in.

I've got the riot gear on.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I would question if the reason you can't cut it is because it's a "darling." Can the background information be provided elsewhere?
This may be a very valid option... I just haven't figured out how to accomplish it yet.

There might be a way to work some of the information in other places.... except for one thing. The "History" introduces a character. This character is elusive the whole book. You really don't know anything about the character. Even the reader knows nothing about her.

Then, about 3/4 of the way through, the reader (and the MC) find out that that this "mystery" person is the one-in-the-same person from the background. Taking them out completely means there would be no "ah-ha" moment associated with this discovery.... it would be more of an "ok, so who is that?" or "so what?".

This may be a plot error... But like I said, I just haven't figured out how to fix it :p :) haha

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just Chapter 1 instead of prologue?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
oh boy...just what I needed! We haven't had a good prologue discussion in like oh 2 or 3 minutes...

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
oh boy...just what I needed! We haven't had a good prologue discussion in like oh 2 or 3 minutes...

This is the prologue to the prologue thread.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Prologues suck except when they don't suck.

I think that accurately sums up the 4,286 prologue threads in this place.

Now, go write your book the way you want to write it, and throw it out to the ravenous dogs of agenting and publishing.

caw

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
Well, I haven't participated in any of the other prologue threads, so...

I wonder how many people sell their first book with a prologue in it?

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
*waves white flag* LOL!

Thanks all ... I'm home finally (not on my VPN at the airport) and it seems the search engine is working perfectly fine now. I had NO idea how many pages there were on this! Serves me right for being impatient, but I have to admit it was kinda fun gettin' ya'll riled up ;) haha

No worries, I'll figure it out. I'm just being antzy and pissy at my piece of crap beginning and taking it out on the boards instead of my WIP ;)

LUV YA!

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of people don't even read prologues, so if you include too much neccessary information in it a chunk of your readers might be lost later on. Of course, you could argue that that's their fault and not yours...

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a big fan of prologues.

In point of fact, my most recent novel "Lets talk Cocaine"

I establish my MC in the prologue and give a good bit of back story that explains how he found cocaine and came to love it.

To be completely honest with you, The prologue consists of about 275 pages of exposition into the character. There is only one chapter in the book, and its entirety reads "He realized he'd injected too much this time. He sat back and closed his eyes. Why had he thought to inject it directly into his scrotum? The pain subsided, and his soul released. Pippy had died. The end"

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how many people sell their first book with a prologue in it?

I did too. My YA novel, just sold to Random House/Delacorte, has a prologue. It's a flashback scene describing a catalystic childhood event in which two of the biggest events in my MC's life came togther, steering the course for the next eight years. I never had a single beta, agent or editor question it -- but it fits the criteria for a worthwhile prologue (attention-grabber, could never stand as Ch 1, works much better served up front, as opposed to plugging it in here & there, or as in-narrative flashback).

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
It's all in the way you write it.
My guess is that if the character is not all that interesting, perhaps that material might be better worked in elsewhere in the book. I ditched my entire first chapter and worked in about 30 percent of it later in the novel. After I did that, I realized the rest was less necessary than I had once thought.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
P.S. Please forgive some of these folks who like to give newbees a hard time. A simple reference to an old thread would have sufficed, but we're writers and writers tend to be cynical people who like to toy with others.
Hee, hee.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
I usually write one or two prologues for the "real" prologue. Then there's the prologue for the acknowledgments page, which is actually a prologue for the dedication.

Altogether, I think a good book should have at least 6-10 prologues. Nothing wrong with that is there? As long as they're written well.

Me&BacchusGoIntoABar

Registered
Reaction score
The reason I'm not a fan of prologues is because I haven't read many good ones. And as a writer, I'd rather not take the risk that many of my readers have come to that same conclusion. But there are certainly times when they can help your (back)story a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.