• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Breathless Press / Lycaon Press (Justyn Perry)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Someone on another board asked about this one.

Here's what I found:

http://www.breathlesspress.com/

From the About Us page, the publisher is Justyn Perry, an author and cover artist.

http://www.justynperry.com

He has one non-fiction book about getting your book noticed, published with Absolute XPress.

Googling him comes up with info on Absolute XPress, Edge Publishing, Hades Press, and Tesseract Books. He doesn't appear to have been an editor or publisher at any of these places.

His author profile at Amazon says he's taken workshops in marketing and marketed over 50 books.

The job postings on the Breathless site for the position of Aquisitions, filled, and Editorial, still open, say that they can be done in "spare time" and would be great for "students, stay-at-home parent(s), or someone looking to gain some extra cash as it can be done in the evening, morning, or afternoon."

para

Registered
Reaction score
Another company that people aren't falling over themselves to pitch to at the muse online conf. I can see why after reading this thread.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Good rule of thumb: when the company is started by someone without industry experience (being an author doesn't count, btw), query elsewhere.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Good rule of thumb: when the company is started by someone without industry experience (being an author doesn't count, btw), query elsewhere.

Yep, yep, understood... If I came across as ignorant, I apologize. But I would still like to give the benefit of the doubt and hear from anyone who has actually dealt with this publisher. So... anyone?

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, yep, understood... If I came across as ignorant, I apologize. But I would still like to give the benefit of the doubt and hear from anyone who has actually dealt with this publisher. So... anyone?

No, you didn't come across as ignorant :) It's just that these startups ALWAYS end up the same way, to me it's just not worth pursuing. They could be so nice, so supportive and have a whole bunch of drive, but the bottom line is that none of it sells books. Sure it's great to have a publisher who's supportive and nice, but the first thing we should be looking at is experience. If they have none, everything else is pretty much irrelevant. Remember, this is a business ;)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
At this point their authors have said 'yay, my book got chosen and the all seem jolly nice'. Have the sold many books? I doubt it.

Dee Carney

Bringing sexy back
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deecarney.com
While I haven't submitted anything there, I do know a few of their authors. One of them--mind you, a very well-established author with a following--did triple digit sales in the first month. IMO, that's probably an exception rather than the norm.

For me there are too many things I've seen of their books, etc. that make me leery.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Recovered from 7/10/11:

Yesterday, 09:09 AM
RobinDelany
Can you take the heat?

Breathless Press
I know a number of Breathless Press authors, and they have been very happy. Two in particular that I know of have sold quite a large number of books. Also, they recently hired a marketing firm and a publicity person.
Personally, I think that's pretty good.

Yesterday, 06:52 PM
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

Would they like to share those numbers?

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
One of the reasons I'm with them is in addition to all sub-genres of romance, they publish M/M erotica that isn't romance. Feel free to ask me questions by private message.

They're currently seeking more submissions for at least one of the themed anthologies -

Serviced Anthology: Our Serviced anthology is an ongoing submission call. Stories must be under 10k, have a heat rating of at least 3, and be original stories. There is no other theme besides having something to do with the army, military, navy, or air force as well as being romantic/erotic in nature. We will be doing two a year, one with a focus on m/m stories, the other on m/f stories. The anthology will consist of 10 stories each with a royalty of 4% of net sales. No single author shall have more than 2 stories in this anthology. We reserve the rights for digital for 1 year with the option of renewing after that. Some anthologies will go to print, if this is the case for this volume, royalties are 1.5% of net sales and we reserve the rights for 2 years with the option of renewal for another 2 years. M/M Deadline: Sept 8th, 2011 - Feb 29th, 2012. M/M Published: Sept 7th, 2012. M/F Deadline: Mar 10th, 2011 - Aug 31st, 2012. M/F Published: Mar 8th, 2013.
Other themes and information at: http://www.breathlesspress.com/Page/submissions

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I've heard Dreamspinner also publishes non-romance m/m titles.

Just sayin'.

Dreamspinner do a Bittersweet (no HEA or HFN needed). It's good to make a note of who does and who doesn't, though.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
There's at least one thread in Erotica discussing that sort of thing. Sorry, I don't have the link now.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Lycaon Press

I did a search for this but didn't find anything. I'd mentioned how I was looking into YA publishers with a peer of mine and she mentioned this publisher.

Here's the link: http://www.lycaonpress.com

Anyone able to dig up some info on them?

ETA: Some of their books seem to do very well on Omnilit and such like that. I like the branding they've done for some of the covers. I was also told there are 3 rounds of edits followed by a final line edit.