Mystery Must-Haves

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
From the Sass-Is-Bored-So-Let's-Ask-Questions category:

Let's say one of your friends is interested in reading a mystery novel. You have ONE CHANCE to hand him/her your two favorite novels and convince him/her that mystery is The Best Genre Ever (tm). Being a good friend, you also want to make sure they don't accidentally pick up a book that you strongly dislike (for any reason).

1) What two books do you hand your friend?

2) What author(s) or specific book(s) do you tell them to avoid, if any?

*cue Jeopardy music*

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's always sort of a coin-toss when one of these "if you could only pick one" questions is asked. On another day, or in a different frame of mind, I might very well pick something else.

1) I would probably select one from the "golden age" or earlier (Hammett, Chandler, Christie, Cain, Doyle, etc.) and something more recently published (P.D. James, James Crumley, Thomas Harris). So, just to be picking something: The Big Sleep by Chandler, and Death of an Expert Witness by James.

2) Probably Patricia Cornwell. I just don't like her writing style. Or maybe David Baldacci.

3) And I might throw in a ringer. Even though it's not a mystery novel, I might also hand "my friend" a copy of In Cold Blood.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
heh. I love David Baldacci. I've read quite a few of his novels. So I would be recommending him.

I would vehemently tell them to avoid James Patterson, mainly on principle that he doesn't actually write all of his books but a team of writers do. That just bugs me.

In Cold Blood would be a great choice, btw. ;)

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Any one of the Aurelio Zen books by Michael Dibdin.

Avoid Martha Grimes, possibly Elizabeth George as well.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Female friend: Georgette Heyer's Why Shoot a Butler? and the first in Lynda Robinson's Egyptian mystery series.

Male friend: the first Marcus Didius Falco mystery and either a Fletch or Jesse Stone novel by Parker.

Either: A Test of Wills by Charles Todd. The Falso mysteries are appealing to men and women, too.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Callalily61 can I ask, please, why that particular G. Heyer? I have read all of her mysteries and like them all equally. I am just curious as to why you chose that one. Thanks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Callalily61 can I ask, please, why that particular G. Heyer? I have read all of her mysteries and like them all equally. I am just curious as to why you chose that one. Thanks.

It seems to be the one I reread most often. I think that particular romantic subplot is my favorite as well. Some of her minor characters are plain nasty, but for me the minor ones in WSAB are a little easier to swallow. For ex., I like Duplicate Death, but the mother and drug-dealer get hard to reread. Same with the nicotine-poisoning one (the name escapes me). I get tired of the unrelenting nasties.

In the same vein, I love love love all Patricia Wentworth's mysteries, but she created some of the nastiest, overbearing, manipulative mothers in all of literature. And some of the most spineless, helpless, hopeless daughters, too. Might be a product of the 20s and 30s, but, meh.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I understand. The nicotine one is Behold Here's Poison. Have you read Penhallow?

Sorry seem to be hi-jacking the thread.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Thanks. I understand. The nicotine one is Behold Here's Poison. Have you read Penhallow?

Sorry seem to be hi-jacking the thread.

Apologies on my part, too.

That's also one I couldn't remember--I read it twice, because I wanted to make sure I really and truly disliked it. There isn't a single character in that one I want to spend time with, and IIRC, none of the characters were satisfied with the resolution they helped bring about. Excellent writing, but argh and twice was too much for me.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since I favor amateur sleuth mysteries, I would admit that affliction and hand my friend Agatha Christie's The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side to get started, then follow it with Stephen King's The Colorado Kid, in my opinion the best amateur sleuth novel of this decade.

Which mysteries to avoid? Any grind-outs from the formula mills of Patricia Cornwell and James Patterson. Although I like other works by Robert B. Parker, including other Jesse Stone novels, High Profile is a waste of good nightstand light.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Mystery is such a board genre. There's hardboiled/crime, cozies, police procedural, etc. it doesn't seem fair to pick one book to represent them all. I guess I would either go with 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' or 'The Name of the Rose.' I don't know if they're the best representative of the mystery genre, but they are really awesome books.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tastes are so different, this is a hard question. I would recommend Christie, Sayers, Rex Stout, Dick Francis, Kathy Reichs, Stuart Woods, Parker is good (although I can't stand the Jesse Stone books, and only go for Spenser), Cornwell was good early on for about six books or so (including the second series that started with Southern Cross) but then she jumped the shark, Anne Perry(Victorian police/society stories), Elizabeth Peters (female mc, professional Egyptologist, amateur sleuth), JA Konrath (I've only read the first book in the 'Jack' Daniels series but enjoyed it).

MM

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Parker is good (although I can't stand the Jesse Stone books, and only go for Spenser).

What? You don’t find this excerpt from Stranger in Paradise totally riveting?

"Ten years covers most things," Crow said.
"We’re going to watch you all the time you’re in town," Jesse said.
"But you’re not going to harass me."
"If we can put a case together on you, we’ll arrest you," Jesse said.
"Until then?" Crow said.
"We’ll wait and watch," Jesse said.
Crow nodded. The two men sat silently until Crow spoke.
You know about me," he said.
"I checked you out," Jesse said. "When you were here before."
"What they tell you," Crow said.
"Be very careful," Jesse said.
Crow smiled.
"Macklin was good," Crow said.
Jesse nodded.
"I wasn’t sure sure anybody could take him," Crow said.
"Except you?" Jesse said.
"Except me."
"Now you know," Jesse said.
Crow nodded. They were quiet again. Both men motionless, looking at each other.
"You let the hostages go," Jesse said.
Crow nodded.

All of the "said" repetitions, which can’t possibly annoy readers because they always go unnoticed?

All the breathtaking (zzzzzzzzzzzzzz) action?

The exciting nods?

Shirley, you jest. Okay, okay: Mary, you jest.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pbbbt! I don't like his Sunny Randall books either, so there.

MM

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed an abnormal number of Jameses on this list?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
True, but you don't look like a James. We'll have to put a mustache on you for the back-of-the-book picture.