Children of the Rune

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. This is a bit of an odd question. There's a series of books over here called Children of the Rune. They have the most gorgeous covers (http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NIfpaINCL._SS500_.jpg), and the story sounds interesting. They're also massive (especially by Japanese standards, they could be Harry Potter) and in hardcover.

Now, these are clearly translated works, so I thought at first they were American. Author name looks like Jun Minhi. I heard somewhere that the books were originally Korean.

So here's the question. I would LOVE to read these books. Yes, the covers alone are enough to make me want to pick one up. My students all read them and they're incredibly popular. The thing is, as mentioned before, they're massive, and that's a little intimidating.

What are the chances that a Korean book series would be picked up and translated into English? I kind of imagine it's pretty slim, but maybe this happens more often than I know. Maybe they're already out there, but I'm looking for the wrong thing. If they aren't likely to be available in English, I'll just go ahead and buy the in Japanese. Good practice if nothing else. It'll just take ages to get through. :p

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like a cool book. And there's a video game of it too, it looks like?

It's REALLY hard for english-speaking audiences to get sci-fi or fantasy type stuff originally written in other languages. I know we get a small number of japanese novels translated (haruki murakami mostly, an author i just discovered named miyuki miyabe, and the new haikasoru novels coming out now), and some russian stuff (lukyanenko for example), plus some older stuff. I don't know of any korean novels in translation.

Good luck reading it in japanese! :)