Let the Right One In, also known as Let Me In

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Let the Right One In, also known as Let Me In. Who's read it? Thoughts? Opinion? I want to pick it up.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By all means read it. I just read it last month. Loved it. Wonderful. Powerful. It's so much more than a vampire story. The movie is terrific too, but the book goes into so much more detail and it is scarier, but books almost always are.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading it now, and I kind of wish I wasn't. I'm past the page count where I'd ordinarily decide it simply wasn't for me. However, this was a gift from our son's girlfriend, so I feel obliged to complete it.

Part of my problem lies in the quality of the translation. I find it stale, uninvolving, and at times awkward. I can't believe a novel so highly regarded read that way in its original form.

Maryn, on page 125 or so

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading it now, and I kind of wish I wasn't. I'm past the page count where I'd ordinarily decide it simply wasn't for me. However, this was a gift from our son's girlfriend, so I feel obliged to complete it.

Part of my problem lies in the quality of the translation. I find it stale, uninvolving, and at times awkward. I can't believe a novel so highly regarded read that way in its original form.

Maryn, on page 125 or so

I'll agree that there were some translation problems, which not knowing Swedish, to me seemed perhaps a function of trying to perserve the feel of the language. I got used to it. There was one thing that bothered the heck out of me, they mistranslated the comic book character The Flash as The Lightning. At first I thought it was for legal reasons, but then they mentioned Superman who is owned by the same company as The Flash.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn, on page 125 or so

Really? Interesting. I read it last year around Christmas and loved it. I agree with you that the prose style was sort of clinical, but I took that as the author's intent rather than a failure of translation.

Personally I loved it. The author is now on my Buy In Hardback list.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will add it to my list.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I read it about a month ago and loved it. Definitely one of my favorite vampire novels.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the movie last night and LOVED it. I finally got the book and am just starting to read it :)

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Adored the film.

Read the book, was very impressed. Has things in it that would (sadly) be almost impossible to film. It is a wildly unsentimental yet strangely sweet, dark love story.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Now you both have me all excited :)

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the one where one of the MC's is named Oskar? I think I've picked the movie up but haven't watched it yet.

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
The movie is available on Netflix instant play. I have it in my queue but am trying to finish up a rough draft, so haven't watched it yet. Heard all good things about it, though.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the movie with a gaggle of friends, but they all hated it :( Unfortunately they found the movie to be weird and boring and they fastforwarded a bunch of parts. I liked what I saw, though, and I've been curious about the book. With so many positive reviews here I might have to pick it up!

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
I finished this book today in bed. I'm fightng a terrible flu. The book had many great moments however I wasn't impressed with the ending. Overall, I'd tell anyone to read the book. It's a decent read.