Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
stargurl128
Stargirl128

stargurl128 is on a distinguished road
Question How often do you skip lines with dialogue?

When you're writing the story how often do you have to skip a line? How do you know when the speech is supposed to be part of a paragraph? I'm having trouble but I can't find anything that will help me.

Rejected 7 times but if I gave up now my protagonist would be very angry with me.

p.s. working on book 1 for the 12th time, working on book number two that has nothing to do with book number 1
stargurl128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A new speaker gets a new paragraph.

Skip lines?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
Shadow_Ferret
They see me rollin', they hatin'

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not sure what your question is.

For short dialog, each speaker's part of the convo is a paragraph. If one speaker gives an extended speech that is very long, then it follows the same rules any other paragraph does... in other words, you decide how long you want the paragraph and where it gets broken up into several paragraphs. Each paragraph begins with a quote ("), but only the last paragraph of the speech ends with a close quote.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How is this treated in dialogue in the books you've read?
Old 11-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ditto what Bufty said. Dialogue format is handled in a standard manner in most novels. Go look at some.

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When you say "skip a line" you mean begin a new paragraph, yes?

The same character's actions and dialogue can share a paragraph, e.g. Bill picked up the newspaper and read the front page. "I see your harlot sister has made the headlines again." He sipped his coffee, aware of his wife's frosty glare.

If another character speaks, or an unrelated action takes place, you'd start a new paragraph.

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”
dpaterso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
I think the OP meant she's having trouble with the actual dialog. The second character's responses, etc. The only answer to that is to listen to people talk. Pick up how they respond to each other. Also, READ. learn how other authors do it.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the actions of one person and the dialogue of another, can not be in the same paragraph. though this might not be the case for novels written with 1st person narration (or is it?)
ao nguc paltal ao lot nam dep chau tam cho be thoi trang cong so vay lien cong so cho thue trang phuc chup anh
As an example:
John grabbed his bag and ran for the door. "Where do you think you're going?" his mother asked.

should be:
John grabbed his bag and ran for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" his mother asked.

Steven Whibley | author website | blog | facebook

Last edited by profen4; 05-14-2013 at 06:41 PM.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don't know where you got that from, RJ -
I hope the OP returns to clarify what her real problem is -if it hasn't already been answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
I think the OP meant she's having trouble with the actual dialog. The second character's responses, etc. The only answer to that is to listen to people talk. Pick up how they respond to each other. Also, READ. learn how other authors do it.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Patrick L
looking for a home

Patrick L is a glorious beacon of lightPatrick L is a glorious beacon of light
I've not had occasion to do it, but yes, often in books where the character has a long dialog sequence, a new paragraph will be started. I believe they treat the end of the former paragraph without end quotes, but will show quotes at the beginning of the following paragraph. Clancy does this often.

I would help the reader, but that's just me.
Patrick L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Chasing the Horizon
Found the Horizon

Chasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthood
Dialogue can be combined in the same paragraph with thoughts and/or actions as long as those thoughts and actions are from the same character as the dialogue and relate to it in some way. There should always be a paragraph break between one character's thoughts/actions/dialogue and another character's thoughts/action/dialogue.

You don't actually skip an entire line (by hitting 'return' 'return') unless you're writing something to post on the internet. Normal manuscript format uses 'return' 'tab' to make a new paragraph.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
stargurl128
Stargirl128

stargurl128 is on a distinguished road
Okay dpaterso seems to have answered my question. Swhibs123 also asked my question better than I did. If you have dialogue like that how often would you skip a line?

Rejected 7 times but if I gave up now my protagonist would be very angry with me.

p.s. working on book 1 for the 12th time, working on book number two that has nothing to do with book number 1
stargurl128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
bonitakale
practical experience, FTW

bonitakale is a splendid one to beholdbonitakale is a splendid one to beholdbonitakale is a splendid one to behold
Yes, that's not a grammatical necessity, but it makes for much easier reading.

stargurl128, you don't skip any lines. You set your word processor for 'double space' and it automatically puts all the lines one line apart. To end a paragraph, you hit Hard Return, and indent the first line of the next paragraph. No extra lines skipped between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhibs123 View Post
I believe, and please correct me if I am wrong, that the actions of one person and the dialogue of another, can not be in the same paragraph. though this might not be the case for novels written with 1st person narration (or is it?)

As an example:
John grabbed his bag and ran for the door. "Where do you think you're going?" his mother asked.

should be:
John grabbed his bag and ran for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" his mother asked.

Manuscript Line Editing at BKEdits
bonitakale is offline   Reply With Quote