• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Friedrich Agency (Molly Friedrich)

Dear Author

Yep, still at it.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've never started a thread before...I did search the Index & didn't find a thread for this agency-?

Just wondering if anyone has queried Molly Friedrich lately. AQ says she accepts queries: http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=202 but QT says she doesn't. No PM listing & the company website is under construction. She left Aaron Priest in '06 after many years. She seems savvy, kind, & fair, and surprisingly open to new voices.

Any personal insights much appreciated.

budgie_brain

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Dear Author,

I snail queried Molly in January, and she sent a reply in February. It was a rejection, but a nice and personalized one. She sounds like a great agent to work with. :)

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Molly Friedrich

I sent Molly Friedrich an e-query October 30 that contained synopses for the first three novels in a mystery series. She rejected it today, but said the idea sounded "gripping and mysterious."

She sent the email to me and to an L Carson. Could that be somebody at her agency-- maybe somebody who argued for my project?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Greg,

There's already a thread for the Friedrich Agency here. I'm sure this'll be ported there, but in the meantime, this is from the agency's submission guidelines: "The Friedrich Agency has two principal agents: Molly Friedrich and Paul Cirone and one associate agent, Lucy Carson."

GB

Leonidas

sui generis
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know why P + E lists no $ (or anything else) beside its listing of this agency? I researched it and found that it has a fairly large stable of active writers, as well as a few very well known ones (including the mystery writer Sue Grafton and the late Frank McCourt). This would seem to indicate that they make frequent sales. Or am I reading this wrong? The reason I ask is that they are presently reading my full, and if I am fortunate enough to have them offer me rep., I want to make sure that I am signing with an active, successful agency. Any thoughts or other advice? Thanks much.

curlbe

Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody know why P + E lists no $ (or anything else) beside its listing of this agency? I researched it and found that it has a fairly large stable of active writers, as well as a few very well known ones (including the mystery writer Sue Grafton and the late Frank McCourt). This would seem to indicate that they make frequent sales. Or am I reading this wrong? The reason I ask is that they are presently reading my full, and if I am fortunate enough to have them offer me rep., I want to make sure that I am signing with an active, successful agency. Any thoughts or other advice? Thanks much.

Molly Friedrich is a big time agent, with an amazing reputation. I haven't subbed to them because I don't think they rep my genre, but I would in a second if they did. Google 'Molly Friedrich' and plenty of info should come up. The only reason P&E might not be updated is because the Friedrich Agency is relatively new, she used to be a senior agent with the Aaron M. Priest Agency.

flyinghorses12

Registered
Reaction score
I equeried Lucy Carson today and got a full request a few hours later. She asked about exclusivity, but I have a partial out elsewhere (though it's been out over a month already) and was unfortunately unable to offer that to her. Very sweet, though, emailed back minutes after I sent my full to say she'd gotten it and would get to it soon. Crossing my fingers!

Creole Lady

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Molly Friedrich via snail mail back in May 2010 after reading an interview with her. received a nicely worded rejection after two weeks. Even though she has brought on a new agent it seems that she is overextended nd doesn't have the time to nurture new writers.

Tec

Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay to re-query?

I queried Molly Friedrich at the beginning of December and have heard nothing back. What is the etiquette of re-querying? I think my book is perfect for her and I fear my query got lost in the holiday dead zone. I am a real newbie at this - should I mention that I am querying again or just re-send my original letter?

thanks !!

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
Tec, I queried her back in August with no response. Sent a follow-up (mentioning the first try) in mid-December. Nothing yet. She doesn't state that she's a non-responder, so I'd keep trying.

Tec

Registered
Reaction score
Tec, I queried her back in August with no response. Sent a follow-up (mentioning the first try) in mid-December. Nothing yet. She doesn't state that she's a non-responder, so I'd keep trying.

Thank you! I'll give it another go.

Sleigh88

;)
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, MysteryScribe! I sent an EQ on 2/15, but no response yet...I have a sinking suspicion that a few of my queries are getting lost in cyberspace. She may just hate it enough to not reply (sad!), but people who queried a few weeks after me are getting Rs. Or maybe she's going backwards in her inbox?

Ahhh, the joy of waiting on tenterhooks. :)

Congrats again!

MysteryScribe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kerrimaniscalco.com
Thanks so much Sleigh! I think I may lucked out and caught her when she was looking through her email. I swear a few of my queries are being eaten by hungry spam filters lately as well. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a positive response shortly too!

Alchemenos Prausti

Registered
Reaction score
Three days after querying, I got this response:

Dear Author,

Well, it's finally happened: after over thirty years of answering every query letter that has ever come my way, I've been forced to finally acknowledge that a new era is upon us all. Before the arrival of e-mail submissions, I used to receive perhaps one hundred queries a week. That was a lot of queries but it wasn't frankly unmanageable. The Friedrich Agency now receives more than twice that on a daily basis and it's becoming impossible to attend to much of anything else! I'm so sorry for the impersonal response, I hate to do this. Writing a good book or a good proposal is among the hardest things in the world to do; I promise, we're not unsympathetic! You have our word that we are reading every single query letter that comes our way, but from now on, we're only responding personally if we're sufficiently curious and would like to read further. Please don't take offense at this Draconian measure-- there is undoubtedly a wonderful agent out there for whom your book might just be the perfect match. Toward that end, we wish you all the best!

Take care,

Molly

Takes a while to get around to the rejection part. At least I think that's what it is, ha ha.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
As form rejections go, I agree that's probably the best I've seen. For myself, I prefer my rejections short, simple and polite but the one from Molly would still soften the blow.

Hope to get better news from Lucy Carson, whom i queried yesterday.