Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Lately, it seems to be popping up on different threads, this concept of an "organic" story - one which is grown, as if from a seed, and which takes on a life of it's own. It seems the author of such a story is more of a caretaker, with a green thumb... pruning, watering, etc... and allowing the story to grow naturally. And if you like you could liken the organic story to an animal rather than a plant. The point is, it's a creature.

So I'm thinking that on the other end of the spectrum, there is the "mechanical" story - one which is designed and built, like a motorcycle or a watch - carefully calibrated and lubricated for optimum performance.

*So is mechanical necessarily inferior to organic?

*Is any story fully one or the other?

*Do different genre's lend themselves to one style over the other?

Discuss.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
If you happened to believe in directed evolution, would there be a difference? ;)

Personally I like to think of creating a novel as if I am a god designing and sculpting a living organism.

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
sunandshadow said:
If you happened to believe in directed evolution, would there be a difference? ;)

Personally I like to think of creating a novel as if I am a god designing and sculpting a living organism.

I much prefer this analogy -- living organism -- to the mechanical watch (or motorcycle) one. I'd hate to think the finished product seems 'mechanical.'

I sometimes write short stories by starting with only a vague idea and letting the story flow, but so far I haven't been able to write a novel that way. I need some structure -- not a lot -- just enough to know where I'm going with it (and to know whether I get there). Maybe one day when I'm more experienced I can write novels more 'organically.'

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Organic

I kind of like the analogy of organic/mechanical, at least the way you phrased it. I don't believe one form is necessarily better than the other, but they do strike me as producing different types of novels, and probably appeal to different types of readers.

I first thought there was a difference when I looked into the writing methods of my favorite writers and found all but one wrote the same way I do, which is what you call "organic." That made me wonder, so I still do the same thing. When I find a new writer I really enjoy reading, I look into the way he writes, and far more often than not, he will be an organic writer.

But I know other readers who have the reverse experience. This tells me there is a difference, but not one of better/worse. If this difference really is there, and I firmly believe it is, it's a matter of different strokes for different folks, different types of books for different readers.

I can't think of a genre where my favorite writers aren't "organic" writers, though there seem to be fewer "organic" writers in science fiction than most other genres. I don't read enough fantasy novels to have an opinion. Other than Rowling, I probably don't read a fantasy novel more than once a year, if that. But in western, mystery, techno-thriller, romance, mainstream, and literary, all but a couple of my favorite writers would fall into the "organic" class. And most of the "mechanical" writers I enjoy aren't heavily "mechanical." They write very brief outlines, plot lightly, and veer away form the outline often.

Now, this could be because there are so many more "organic" writers than "mechanical" writers, but this doesn't seem to be the case. From my exprience and study, something over half of all writers are "organic," but not enough to justify the numbers of writers I enjoy versus those I don't.

But as I said, other readers I've known who tried this had the reverse results, in that the majority of writers they like turn out to be "mechanical" writers.

This tells me it's probably a matter of taste, but it also tells me there is usually some difference in the finished product.

Last edited:

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I suppose a mechanical story always has a strong element of fate, driving the plot. There's some overarching point to be made, and so the characters are forced to illustrate it. They aren't exactly the masters of their destiny, something larger is driving the plot.

I think in a good story of this type, the character demonstrates their free will, by fighting against this fate, or doubting their purpose, the way a real person might, and part of the drama comes from that. But the payoff comes when they either accept their purpose and bloom, or reject it and die, or turn evil.

There's no getting around the "morality play" dimension of a mechanical tale. Even in something like Hitchhiker's Guide, where the characters are more or less helpless against the tides of beaurocracy, there's great laughs to be had, but the moral there is still clear - "Life is absurd, and the more seriously you take it, the bigger the fool you are."

Fountainhead would be a classic mechanical story. Every character is a caricature - an embodiment of some virtue or vice. The whole thing is designed to illustrate Ayn Rands philosophy, but since it's larger than life, it's still a compelling read... at least for a teenager. It makes you think.

DaVinci Code, I would say is highly mechanical. The whole point of the story is to posit this concept of Mary Magdaline as the mother of Jesus' offspring, and toss Catholic dogma on it's ear.

I guess to have a "good" mechanical story, the point your making must be something worth making - be it a new insight, or a defining metaphore for something that needs defining (like Orwell's 1984) - and the way the point is made must be entertaining, if not realistic.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say one is better or worse, it all goes down to personal preference. Me, I am definately an organic writer. I rarely ever outline anything and do very light plotting and such. There is a difference in the outcome of the book. Same goes with the writers attitude. If the writer is out to prove something, then you can really feel it in the tone of the book. At least I can.

Sara

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Jamesaritchie said:
I can't think of a genre where my favorite writers aren't "organic" writers, though there seem to be fewer "organic" writers in science fiction than most other genres. I don't read enough fantasy novels to have an opinion. Other than Rowling, I probably don't read a fantasy novel more than once a year, if that. But in western, mystery, techno-thriller, romance, mainstream, and literary, all but a couple of my favorite writers would fall into the "organic" class. And most of the "mechanical" writers I enjoy aren't heavily "mechanical." They write very brief outlines, plot lightly, and veer away form the outline often.

Interesting. I would love to find out how my favourite writers wrote their books; how do you research this? On the internet? Interviews in them media?
As for myself, I am definitely an organic writer. I ofetn have the feeling that the stories I write already exist, and all I am is a scribe.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Mistook said:
....there is the "mechanical" story - one which is designed and built, like a motorcycle or a watch - carefully calibrated and lubricated for optimum performance.

My approach to writing probably fits into this category. (I dislike the your term because a lot of visualisation is required for this approach.)

The following is IMHO, only:

>So is mechanical necessarily inferior to organic?
No, the results should be the same.

An "Outliner" seeks to produce the tight plot as or before they draft. An "Organic" achieves the same initially through cutting and revision, but eventually through experience and instinct.

>Is any story fully one or the other?
No. Most Outliners say that the outline changes with the writing. Most organics have some idea of what they're going to write, even if they keep it locked in their unconscious.

>Do different genre's lend themselves to one style over the other?
Different kinds of stories, I think, rather than genres.

Imagined not using an outline when writing about complex interactions between several characters, especially if their actions alter the setting, e.g. MilSF or a military thriller (e.g. Red Storm Rising)

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
If it makes a difference in the story or not--and I too prefer the organic story (write that way myself--and seem to favor authors who also do) it always makes a huge difference to those just starting out writing.

As all the threads, heated and cool arguments about it--better or worse, works or doesn't, the I don't see how you can write that way --on both sides of the coin. Writers get quite "emotional" about it.

I think some of it is frustration factor. They start out writing one way, most likely the way they were taught in HS or even earlier--or had pounded into their heads in places of higher learning. Outline, you must, or your story will suck. No, no, no, let the character's take the lead with all due speed.

So the new writer says OK, this is how it's done and off they go. When they meet with frustration, the wall, writer's block, a story that doesn't work, they search for why--and here is where many seem to land.

What if I had grown the story iinstead--what if I had outlined it like old Mrs. Bee told us in 8th grade? Then someone says no no no you can't do it that way you have to do this or you won't have a plot, your story will be aimless--someone else says, heck just let he characters talk to you and everything works out--I promise. Then all the other stuff gets in there, but if you don't outline how do you foreshadow, how do you---no no no--the characger's know, just write as you go.

Bout this time I imagine the writer is ready to smash the keyboard.

Back in when first took creative writing in HS, the teacher, a nasty bitter woman (but we won't get into that or why she was that way) was of the you must outline sort. She would assign stories and we had to have a package for her when we turned them in--outline, character sketches, a story bible, the whole plot it step by step thing--

So I set out to do that and found to my horror--although I was a wounderful oral story teller--hey, at family reunions little cousins flocked around me--following me until I told them a story--I could not do the assignments.

So sitting in front of my old Royal typewriter (manual if you must know) I wrote a story just like I woudl have told my little followers. WOW, the words flowed just like when I would sit under a tree and look for something and start talking--see that bird there, well he told me and off I went. I turned in the story and later the lovely teacher said where is the rest of this? She meant the outline and the mechanical package.

I said, isn't it there?

gotta love the teen mind.

You must have left it at home, bring it in tomorrow and I will only dock you one grade.

So home I went. Where I sat down in front of the green monster (that old Royal) and I typed up character sketches, plot lines, and time lines, and scene order--and so on--after the story had been written.

What this showed me was that no matter which kind of writer you are (and I think it does break down to --what kind of writer you are, not which way is better) all the elements of a story are there.

And you can be either kind of writer and write sucky stuff, or great stuff.

Shawn

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What this thread is addressing isn't the finished product. It's the approach. There is no single path to "the goal." And there aren't two. A good story can come from any method of preparation, including none, meaning nothing written down before cutting loose at the keyboard. We all have different talents, and different ways to bring those talents out. With that said, it is helpful to look into how one's favorite writers prepare their stories. However, what we find shouldn't limit us as individuals. Study others' methods, but develop your own. Do what works.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
It appears to me, from some conversations with mystery writers, that mystery as a genre lends itself to the mechanical method. (Mind you, I've mostly talked with people who write historical mysteries. I don't know how much a difference that makes.) The need to know what was done by whom, how, why, and when, and what could and couldn't be known or done is so critical that you almost have to know it all in advance to write it well.

If either method is done well, the reader shouldn't be able to tell which was used to make the piece.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I would think the mechanical would more of a formlaic type of story. Same plot same characters, over and over again. Moorcock, and David Morrell come to mind. While the former explores different themes within the same premise,the latter writers the same story over and over again, without variation on theme or much on the plot either. Morrell created Rambo. I was quick to discover that all his books were exactically the same, I could predicted the end of all of them just by reading one. Moorcock was a thrill to read. I had fun guessing what the current experiment was. I loved being disspointed by one theme only to find the theme I wanted to happen a book or two later. I still love the idea of "An Alien Heat" which I have never seen another writer pull off.

Their's good and bad in mechanical. Organic can be beautiful or very very ugly. Most writers fall into organic, I think.

Planning is possible for both I think. I think you leave more room for suprises too.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Tirjasdyn said:
I would think the mechanical would more of a formlaic type of story. Same plot same characters, over and over again.

Actually, I seem to recall Robert McKee arguing the reverse.

Organics can easily fall into the trap of writing what "feels right" without realising it's kind of familiar because it's the same as their last 12 novels. They unconsciously apply the same boilerplate outline - formula - to everything they write.

Outliners engage with shape of their story at the outset, so enabling them to avoid endless rehashings.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
zornhau said:

Organics can easily fall into the trap of writing what "feels right" without realising it's kind of familiar because it's the same as their last 12 novels. They unconsciously apply the same boilerplate outline - formula - to everything they write.

Outliners engage with shape of their story at the outset, so enabling them to avoid endless rehashings.

I think people who believe this have never, ever managed to write a novel in an organic fashion. It seems the reverse to me. My biggest complaint with outlined novels is that I nearly always find them predictable. Especially in mysteries. Time after time after time, when I'm able to predict the ending of a novel, that novel turns out to be an outlined novel.

I do think "organic" writers can fall into the trap of writing the same novel over and over, but I still find such novels far less predictable that most outlined novels. And it's a mistake to think outliners can't also fall into the trap of writing the same novel over and over. One of the reasons outlined novels bother me is because they all seem to have the same predictable pattern of events. But falling into this trap has much more to do with the writer than with the method.

In all honesty, I think it's rather lame to suggest organic writers wouldn't realize a new novel is just like their last twelve. You'd have to have amnesia for this to happen. Organic or mechanical, writers write the same novel over and over because they've stumbled over something that works, that sells, and they stick to the easy path. Writing the same novel over and over is a conscious choice, and writers using any method do this.

I don't care whether you write in an organic fashion, or whether you outline, coming up with something new, taking that chance when you've already proven you can do one thing very well, is tough for any writer. It's tough stepping away from a winning "formula."

A winning novel becomes what the publisher wants from you, and want the majority of readers want. That's the trap. Millions of fans buy the novels, so publishers ask for the same thng again, and readers want the same thing again, and writing the same thing again is usually easy.

It's also a mistake to think "organic" writers don't engage the shape of their story at the onset. I know people who think this have never written an organic novel. Doing so is the whole point of organic writing, or at least of "situational" writing, which is what King talks about, and what most of us do, I think. The entire shape of the novel is set up in chapter one, you can set up any shape you wish in those first few pages, and I find this produces novels that are far different than outlined novels, if you , the publisher, and readers actually want it different. They seldom do.

Which is one reason many pro writers have a couple of pseudonyms.

Outliners do not, in any way, avoid endless rehashings, any more than some organic writers do. This is a trap of the writer, the publisher, and readers, not of the method. And it's not really such a bad trap. A good number of organic writers, and a good number of outliners, have ridden this trap to fame and fortune.

My main complaint against outlined novels isn't that they are rehashed, however, this happens with any writers using any method. My main complaint against outlined novels is that I almost always find them predictable, no matter how different they are.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
James, I'd say that the predictability of an outlined novel is more a failing of the author than of the method. You could just as easily say that of the rambling, unfocused novels you've read, almost all of them were written organically. Using either method badly is going to give you a flawed product.

I find that since I started writing, almost all books are too predictable. I can see the setups, I recognize certain techniques, and see where they're going way too far in advance on important points. Whether they're mechanical or organic doesn't make much difference.

Katiba

Registered
Reaction score
I too would like to know how you researched this to the point where you feel comfortable saying something like, "My main complaint against outlined novels is that I almost always find them predictable, no matter how different they are."

I'm curious as to what your sample is - are you talking about a dozen writers, a hundred, or what? And could you give us some examples of the outliners so that we can judge for ourselves whether or not the results are 'predictable'? Surely there are thousands (or more) of successful and published authors who have never mentioned to anyone, on line or in interviews, how they write?
I'm sorry if I sound confrontational, but I get a bit offended at the idea, which seems very prevalent on these boards, that if you don't produce your work through some mysterious, organic procedure, it's somehow inferior and you're somehow less of a writer. Personally I think that there are all different ways of approaching writing, and I would need to see a much more rigorous study than what's been presented here before I would be prepared to believe that one of them is superior to any other.

Mike Martyn

Registered
Reaction score
zornhau said:

QUOTE]

Ain't it the truth, Ain't it the truth!

I've done a rough draft of novel one and I'm working on novel two;

1. Novel one has as a m/c a man in his mid forties who is alone, embittered and has walked away from his great success, ditto novel two;

2. Novel one has two 13 year old boys as m/c s, Novel Two has one 13 year old boy as m/c but I give him a side kick and a girlfriend. In novel one both young m/c's don't have fathers. One has run off and the other is killed in a car accident, in novel two the father of the young m/c falls off a cliff, exit dad stage left;

3. In novel one Lovecraftian supernatural evil dudes are attempting to break into our world, in Novel Two, extra demensional organo- mechanical evil dudes are atempting to break into our world.

And so it goes!

I've set the first one in 1962 and the second in 2007. Do think anyone will notice the similarity?
icon7.gif

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Katiba said:
I too would like to know how you researched this to the point where you feel comfortable saying something like, "My main complaint against outlined novels is that I almost always find them predictable, no matter how different they are."

I'm curious as to what your sample is - are you talking about a dozen writers, a hundred, or what? And could you give us some examples of the outliners so that we can judge for ourselves whether or not the results are 'predictable'? Surely there are thousands (or more) of successful and published authors who have never mentioned to anyone, on line or in interviews, how they write?
I'm sorry if I sound confrontational, but I get a bit offended at the idea, which seems very prevalent on these boards, that if you don't produce your work through some mysterious, organic procedure, it's somehow inferior and you're somehow less of a writer. Personally I think that there are all different ways of approaching writing, and I would need to see a much more rigorous study than what's been presented here before I would be prepared to believe that one of them is superior to any other.

The research is a simple matter of everytime I read a book, I then try to find out as much about the writing method of the writer as possible. Doing so usually isn;t difficult. Do teh research for yourself. It's the only way you'll see what I mean. Everytime you read a book, rate it, and remember whether or not you found it predictable, which means how often trhoughout the book did you guess what was coming next. Then look into the writer's method of writing.

I can't do your research for you. We're different readers. But the books I've read that I've been able to see the ending coming, have almost inevitably been outlined novels.

It's really silly, but it alwasy comes down to somebody saying things like"some mysterious, organic procedure." The ONLY people who claim this kind of writing is mysterious, organic, or anything else, are those wgho can't or don;t write this way. No one who actually writes this way will ever make such a claim because it shows a complete lack of understanding about how novels are written in this manner.

There is nothing at all mysterious about it. The term "organic" is not my term. I know better. It's a method or writing that's based, I think, on oral storytelling, and it's a method that depends on knowing what good story structure is, what good characters are, and what a good story is. Far from being mysterious, its a dscipline, and it's done by many of teh very best writers. It has been for hundreds of years.

Nor did I say it was superiour. But it is different, and when I find a mystery novel predictable, it is almost inevitably an outlined novel. I never said it was scientific research done at bell labs, but I can say it works this way for me at a better than nine to one ratio.

Now, I don't know how many thousands of writers there are who have never mentioned to anyone how they write. Nor do I care. But there are darned few bestselling writers who aren't interviewed endlessly about how they write, and the ONLY writers I research are the ones I have personally read, which usually means they are writers who sell very well, and who are interviewed endlessly about their writing methods. Many of them have also written many articles and how-to books dealing with their writing methods.

If there are hundreds or thousands of suuccessful, published writers who don;t talk about how they write, you'll have to let me know who some of them are. In twenty-five years I've found exactly one writer out of thousands who kept quiet about his writing methods. That writer was William Faulkner.

If there are others, please let me know who they are. Surely tehre are some, but I have yet to find any of them.

And, of course, any writer who has reached the staus of classic writer has probably had a hundred books written about him, and most of these books deal heavily with writing methods. In college lit, we not only read classic novels, but spent long, long hours digging into the lives of the writers.

I also read Writer's Digest, The Writer, Writer's Journal, Byline, and Poets & Writers. I've read archives of Writer's Digest and The Writer going back fifty years. All these have articles by hundreds or thousands or writers that talk about their writing methods. I also read books on literary criticism. I also read as many how-to books as I can find, which also deal with writing methods. I also read as many biographies and autobiographies as possible, if they are about or by writers.

If there is a successful writer anywhere who doesn't love talking about his writing methods, or who doesn't write about his methods, or who hasn't been interviewed about his methods, I have yet to find him, William Faulkner aside. It was pretty easy before the internet came along, and now it's usually a snap. Seriously, pick a writer, any writer, you enjoy reading and see how long it takes you to learn his writing methods. There's nothng most writers enjoy more than talking about how they write their books, and nothing critics, reviewers, and fans ask more than "How do you write your books?"

So, no, there are definitely NOT hundreds or thousands of successful wirters who don't talk about their methods. If there have been a dozen since time began, I'd be astounded.

I suppose I'm talking about several hundred writers, probably more, though who keeps an exact count? I tend to read from two to four novels per week, sometimes more, and I've averaged this for nearly forty years. One year I read five hundred novels, though most were fairly short, the 60-70K kind you can read in three or four hours, tops.

I started looking up writing methods when I first began writing, and I've been doing it for many, many years.

And simply put, you do judge whether or not novels are predictable everytime you read one. But whether or not I can predict an ending doesn't mean you can or can't, and whether you can or can't doesn't mean I can.

I can only tell you that I, like a great many other readers, do sometimes see the ending of a novel coming, or see other events coming throughout the novel. That's just a fact. It does not mean you can do the same thing. And, primarily in mysteries, when I can predict the ending, or events along the way, I find that novel has been outlined. That's just how it is, like it or not.

But I never said one method was superior. I simply said I think they produce different kinds of novels, and when I do look into methods, I find that I enjoy those who write without outlining far more often than I enjoy those who outline. This, too, is simply a fact. And, yes, in every single instance it has been easy finding out how a writer writes his books. It in no way means one way is better than the other because there are just as many readers who prefer those writers I dislike, and who dislike many of the writers I love. Stephen King certainly has far more than his share of critics, after all. Just because I think he's a great writer does not in any way mean I'm right, or that thousands of readers won't disagree with me.

But time and time again, when I find a writer I really enjoy, that writer does not outline or plot. That's just how it is.

Which also doesn't mean I hate all outlined novels. Robert B. Parker outlined all his early novels, and I loved them. At some point, I believe when he was writing the Raymond Chandler novel Poodle Springs, the sequel to The Big Sleep, he stopped outlining because he wanted to write the same way Chandler did. I can't tell any difference at all between his outlined and non-outlined novels.

I can, in fact, think of several writers who outline that I like immensely. And I didn't even say that finding a mystery predictable lessoned my enjoyment of it. If I read mysteries for the mystery, I'd never read them a second time, but I've read hundreds of mysteries a second or third or fourth time. I've read everything John D. MacDonald, Lawrence Block, Robert B. Parker, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Raymond Chandler, and Dashiell Hammett ever wrote, and I've read it all over and over again. I've even read most of Agatha Christie more than once.

But, really, how many times does something have to happen before you feel comfortable stating it as a fact? I'be been reading mysteries since I was eight or nine years old, and I'm 51 now. I doubt there's been more than ten weeks in all those years when I have read at least one novel, and most weeks I've read several. I read more books during school years than many read in a lifetime. I pretty much always carried a book wherever I went, even as a kid. I've read a LOT of books. Many, many times mroe that it takes for me to tell what kind of novels and what kind of writers I enjoy reading most, and nine times out of ten, probably more than nine times out of ten, I like novels by writers who do not outline.

There are several writers who outline that I enjoy very much. I do not think one method is necessarily superior to the other. But it is extremely easy to learn how pretty much any writer goes about writing his or her novels, and for whatever reason, by a very wide margin, the writers I enjoy most do not outline and do not plot, and that's just how it is.

But that's just me. For me, it's perfectly valid and simply not an arguable point. I've read far too many novels, and looked into the writing methods of every last writer, to leave any doubt at all in my mind.

Your milage will almost certainly vary, and it will be just as valid for you. Different readers enjoy different types of writers, different types of novels.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations

And the award for longest post of the year goes to......

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Jamesaritchie said:
There is nothing at all mysterious about it. The term "organic" is not my term. I know better. It's a method or writing that's based, I think, on oral storytelling, and it's a method that depends on knowing what good story structure is, what good characters are, and what a good story is. Far from being mysterious, its a dscipline, and it's done by many of the very best writers. It has been for hundreds of years.

Aha! That makes everything make sense! I am horrible at oral storytelling, I generally find written versions of oral stories boring, I like complicated multi-strand books with lots of worldbuilding and introspection where everything gets tied up into a stunningly neat knot at the ending - the kind which are best created by plotting them out before hand.

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If the organic type story has it's roots in live storytelling, then I'd say that the mechanical type has it's roots in myth making.

I think even before there's an outline, every mechanical story sets out to explain a known phenomenon. The points of plot, therefore must match up with facts that already exist, and the rest of the story is interpolated between plot points.

For example... you might want to invent a story to explain the origin of the moon, and it's behavior. Whatever you come up with must address things like... phases, it's rising and setting. You'll have to allow for solar and lunar eclipses, and you'll probably want to explain the backdrop of the zodiac... etc.

So nature itself suggests the plot, and gives you the boundaries for your outline, and you work in the details, making sure at every step, that everything works, and nothing contradicts.

I think modern conspiracy theories work exactly this way, but to a much finer degree. If you want to tell a story about how the mafia was truly behind the assasination of JFK, everything has to be precise, and the facts dictate the limits of your story.

So, in my opinion... simply outlining a story doesn't make it mechanical, in the sense that I'm using the term. A mechanical story will have an outline, yes, but what makes it mechanical is the need to have everything fit together "just so" in order to work at all.

ted_curtis

Registered
Reaction score
So what if you're an outliner, but you create the outline in an organic fasion. What does that make your writing? Maybe a cyborg...

I think we're looking at two sides of creativity and pretending they're more different than they are.

Ted

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
ted_curtis said:
So what if you're an outliner, but you create the outline in an organic fasion. What does that make your writing? Maybe a cyborg...

I think we're looking at two sides of creativity and pretending they're more different than they are.

Ted

Yeah, the middle way would be the bionic story. I think most real novels fall somewhere in that catagory, but for the sake of argument, I still think it's useful to draw distinctions.

Organic writers do plan things. Mechanical writers do allow things to follow their own course. But if you can recognize the two (and possibly more) approaches, you can figure out where and when they will work best for you.

My overall story is quite mechanical. It is plot driven, and I try to work in a lot of symbolism, but obviously I can benefit from making the characters and situations as "life like" as possible.

But some day I may try my hand at the organic approach, and let a story tell itself, but I can always rely on my mechanical ingenuity to keep it from rambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.