Under The Dome

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Is anyone as excited as me about Stephen King's latest book? I have loved him for many years but found that he'd hit a point in his writing that I didn't quite care for as much as his earlier works.

Happily, for me, his last couple have been more enjoyable and Under the Dome appears to be a return to his earlier heyday. I'm not saying this only because its a huge book (1K pages), but it seems to be something more along the lines of The Stand which in my humble opinion is a masterpiece.

Why do I think this about UTD? Lots of characters constricted to one small town problem which is reminiscent of Salem's Lot (as one example), another fantastic entry of his.

Yes, yes, I'm a fan and I'm so happy to see that Mr. King might be back in the form that I most love him. Again, my opinion, no one does characterization like him. You really care about these people regardless of whatever impossibilties they're facing.

Looking forward to what others think.

Diane

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like King and I will buy this book :)

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be buying it at some point. No spoilers please! :D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Why do I think this about UTD? Lots of characters constricted to one small town problem which is reminiscent of Salem's Lot (as one example), another fantastic entry of his.

Looking forward to what others think.
And at 1000 pages, we're apt to meet every citizen of that small town.

But I'm at page 150 and loving it so far. Even the part where the woodchuck died.

I'll be buying it at some point. No spoilers please! :D

Oops. :(

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
EVUL!!!! :(

*Runs away, sobbing.*

*NeW*WrItEr*

Registered
Reaction score
This book sounds and looks really good. I look forward to reading it....as soon as I get time. No wonder he hasn't wrote much lately. It's so long!

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
Isn't it kind of a Simpsons Movie rip-off?

Actually, King hasn't even seen the Simpsons movie (or hadn't when he did at least one interview I read) and started writing the book before the movie was even advertised. Started it back in the '70's, according to interviews. I know it started as a short or novella--he allowed people to read the original on his website for a while--before he developed it into something longer. Much, much longer.

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it kind of a Simpsons Movie rip-off?

No! :rant:

Lol just joking. I'm not mad. Mostly. :D

No but as someone else said, King had the idea a long time ago--in fact, someone told him of the correlation, and he pasted 35 typewritten pages from the first draft he wrote in the 70's on his website.

Anyway, I'm about three hundred in and the book is AWESOME...definitely his best in a while and even better than Lisey's Story (which I know is by consensus reviled but which I absolutely loved).

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
The concept was used in an episode of Roswell even before The Simpsons Movie, so if anyone is ripping anyone off... :)

The book is on my Christmas shopping list.

misterwoe

shaved and sterilized
Registered
Reaction score
i'm on like page 350. the book is simply amazing. don't worry about stamina here because it's pure narrative bliss.

Diane Amy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
I'm jealous of those of you who have already started reading it! These days, hardcover is not in my budget so I'll have to wait for this to arrive in paperback. I wonder how many pages that'll be....

Although I did get a 50% off coupon from Borders in the mail today. Hmmm.

misterwoe

shaved and sterilized
Registered
Reaction score
I'm jealous of those of you who have already started reading it! These days, hardcover is not in my budget so I'll have to wait for this to arrive in paperback. I wonder how many pages that'll be....

Although I did get a 50% off coupon from Borders in the mail today. Hmmm.

I think you can get it on amazon for ten bucks. seriously. (edit: it's a little more expensive now, but worth it!)

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to read it. My sisters and I are going to split the cost of one book and take turns reading it. (hardcover book is about $35, I'm told.)

OctoberRain

I triple dog dare you.
Registered
Reaction score
I made a beeline for the book at B&N the other night... it's HEAVY! I think I'll have to wait for the paperback. I was going to bring it on vacation but it would really weigh down my suitcase (no joke!)

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
I finished it! 900 pages :p

It was good. Believable bad guys, a plot that works and a climax heavy on the death, with a bleak prognosis for the rest. Those last few chapters really make you think there isn't going to be any sort of happy ending. There is depressing depravity and some incredible ingenuity. And humour, even in the darkest pages, there's still humour. The line that made me snort was "Walking home, every one of you." Which makes no sense until you read the rest of the scene.

I loved it. Took me five days to read the bugger. I intent to read it again soon. (After The Stand I think.)

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished it. OMFG. Mind officially blown. It's 1:32 and I wasn't able to put it down since about 10:30 and I'm so freakin' JAZZED I can't go to sleep despite the fact that I have an 8:00 class tomorrow...it's cause the ending's so good, I think. It's something you have to worry about with King, despite my love for him, but the fact is his endings are pretty up and down. But this one...God. I could write a couple of papers on it.

SPOILERS:

And the scene near the very end where Julia's talking to the leatherhead may be some of the best writing he's ever done.

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
The concept was used in an episode of Roswell even before The Simpsons Movie, so if anyone is ripping anyone off... :)

And it was the plot of a comic book called The Aladdin Effect before that. Maybe it's just one of those Big Ideas that just keeps coming around.