Anyone read 'Let there be night' by Paul Bogard?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be reading it for an English class, it's called Literature of the Night, we're basically exploring the dark and it's influence in early literature, as well as how it is not present so much nowadays.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it, but am curious. The dark what?
Dark, darkness, night-time; The class is about its influence on past literature and how its lack of appearance in modern times due to 'light pollution' affects literature now.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It appears that JJM hasn't had much luck with his question in Office Party, so we'll move this thread to Roundtable in hopes that others might offer some insight.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to this per say, but I can offer a general thread derail on a similar topic, technology and how technology has impacted literature (and I use the term literature very loosely).

I just finished reading Grisham's the Testament. Great read, zipped through it in 3 days.

ANyways, the book takes place in 1996, so the internet is there but not a heavy factor in the book, same with cell phones. But an interesting thing was the lack of GPS finder type systems.

The reason this is important is that a MAJOR plot point developed because of the lack of a GPS finder, the MC was on an important mission in the middle of nowhere and got lost.

Similarly, the lack of cellphone <=>internet link resulting in another MAJOR plot point being developed.

My point? I loved the story, but had I not have grown up in the 80s and 90s the story would have felt dated. I can't imagine 'kids' today getting the same enjoyment of the story because they would keep thinking, "Well gee, why doesn't the MC just use his cell phone, grab a google Map, cross reference with a GPS and there, problem solved"

So, in regards to your question about the dark. I would anticipate that books featuring this subject are going to vary by plot point. In fact, I would argue that the further back you go, the more 'significant' the dark would be since 'conflict' makes stories.

We take so many things for granted, like flashlights. flashlights work in all weather, all climates, easily lasts 10 hours if need be, and is 10 x better than a torch in terms of seeing/praticalities.

Now imagine going camping and a camper gets lost out in the wilderness while it is raining. IN this modern day scenario, no big deal, just whip out some flashlights and find him.

Picture this same scenario back in 1809. Now we have a problem. Torches don't do well in rain.

that simple twist adds more potential for conflict.

But as we modernize, the only way to get those same conflicts is with a whole bunch of actions that result in the MC being unable to use modern conveniences. The more excuses you have to use, the harder it is for the reader to suspend their disbelief.

o.k. now I'm babbling and not even sure if i'm addressing your question so I will just stop for now :)

Mel...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got it.
'Let There Be Night: Testimony On Behalf Of The Dark'
It's an anthology of stories, with Paul Bogard being the editor and a contributor.
Bogard sent out letters to twenty-nine different authors to give him works that they felt expressed night.
The book is split into five different sections.
Spirit
The Sky, The Stars
Imagination And Story
The Place We Live Half Our Life
Our Animal Body

I like the messages so far.
Here's a few from the beginning essay by Bogard.
"In matters of safety, it is far more important that lighting be effectively used than abundantly used." -Paul Bogard, Introduction: Why Dark Skies?
"Our bodies have evolved in bright days and dark nights, and need one as much as the other." -Paul Bogard, Introduction: Why Dark Skies?
"What would happen if we were to understand darkness as sacred?" -Paul Bogard, Introduction: Why Dark Skies?

If you think light pollution is an issue, or you're just curious, I recommend picking it up.

I intend to post a few more time here on some of the more interesting works.