Indenting only the second line?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to put some citations into MLA format, and the first line is shorter than the first, so I want to indent the second to look shorter than the first.
Every time I try to 'tab' the second line though, it drags the first one with it.
For some reason, 'space' isn't working at the second line, no matter how many times I press space there, it doesn't move in at all...works find everywhere else...

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Don't use Tab for paragraph formatting. Only use Tab for Tabular data--data that goes in a table.

For paragraphs, use the little margin triangles on the ruler. Also, you might want to use Endnotes or Footnotes, instead of formatting this by hand, unless you have a reason for a Works Cited or Bibliography (like an editor's instruction).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ordinarily you could also go to Tools > AutoCorrect > AutoFormat As You Type and uncheck the Set Left and First Indent With Tabs box. Or the "brute force" method is just to hit a return (enter) at the end of the first line.

Medi would know more about MLA guidelines than I would however, so you probably want to follow her guidance on how to do this rather than mine.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Rulers rule :D
Though I had to play with them a bit to get the effect I was looking for, I don't usually work with them.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Yep, I use the ruler, too. My document is 'first line indent' but when I need a line to be flush left I go up to the ruler and drag that little triangle to line it up with the one below, on the left side.

Deleted member 42

Rulers rule :D
Though I had to play with them a bit to get the effect I was looking for, I don't usually work with them.

OK; next thing, create a Style so you never have to set anything again for that particular collection of format choices.

Styles, by the way, usually have types; paragraph styles and font styles.

Last edited by a moderator: