Not open for further replies.

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MichaelZWilliamson.com
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1BA0D6J2GS59/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?ie=UTF8&cdPage=1

Mods, please move if this is the wrong forum.

All, please finish your drink, swallow whatever you're eating, clear off your desk, move your keyboard so your head doesn't slam into it, and get some popcorn for the show and your anesthetic of choice, because after the choking laughter, your brain WILL start to bleed.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
That was amazing. Talk about unchecked ego. It's a wonder that she sells any books. ever.
I read a page of the book in question.

Bad.
really, really bad.

OOPS. I hope she doesn't sic the FBI on me now!

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm not finding ANYTHING on her alleged martial arts prowess--no competition logs, no actual titles, no mentions in magazines that cover tournaments, nothing. And I haven't been able to track down her two "prizes."

She seems to know surprisingly little about law enforcement procedures for someone who claims to have been a cop for a decade, at state and major municipal levels. Which, I always thought, usually meant a degree in Criminal Justice.

If you go to her page, she's been a finalist or nominee for several dozen awards, including things like the Great Internet Romance Writer Of Last Thursday Pink Unicorn Stories of 2008 (top ten finalist).

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I feel a little bad for the writer because she is clearly unhinged. Making even one or two review rebuttals would be ill-advised, but her torrent of posts shows an unbalanced mind. Methinks the lady will need another pseudonym for any upcoming books.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I'm not finding ANYTHING on her alleged martial arts prowess--no competition logs, no actual titles, no mentions in magazines that cover tournaments, nothing. And I haven't been able to track down her two "prizes."

She seems to know surprisingly little about law enforcement procedures for someone who claims to have been a cop for a decade, at state and major municipal levels. Which, I always thought, usually meant a degree in Criminal Justice.

If you go to her page, she's been a finalist or nominee for several dozen awards, including things like the Great Internet Romance Writer Of Last Thursday Pink Unicorn Stories of 2008 (top ten finalist).

Have you checked with the sanctioning body of the Federation of Ill Advised Actions?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Holy god, that's a long way to go to defend such a modestly bad review.

I wonder who she's actually writing for if not the readers? But I like the notion that everyone should buy a copy of every book because the author has a right to a living. That, right there, is a marketing plan with legs.

Last edited:

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If only those horrible editors weren't destroying our work to suit their own whims.:)

I'll confess...an editor DID try that with me, once. He wanted to correct my military nomenclature and procedures. He was not a veteran himself. I heard from a couple of other vets in the same field that he tried the same thing with them.

However, a polite, "No, and this is my field, so I do have a pretty good idea what I'm talking about," did resolve the issue.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
I watched that thing unfold the other day, and it was like watching a plane crash. I was hoping she had a close enough friend to come yank the keyboard out of her hand and slap her with it. I hope she's calmed down by now.

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
She finally stopped replying, after a variety of "I know you are but what am I" type posts.

It's now degenerated into a "but Amazon reviews really ARE important, and of course your publisher cares about them. How can you say what we post doesn't matter, you evil author you?"

I'm doing my best to be diplomatic, since I do try to care about as many readers as possible.

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The publisher may or may not care. It depends on what percentage of her books are sold on Amazon, and how her sales are affected. Judging from her sales rank (500K or so), it didn't really matter either way.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I wonder what her publisher would have to say about her little tantrum.

How embarrassing.

So very embarrassing.
I hope if I ever get to be published, and someone gives me a crap review, I'll ignore it. Or if I feel inclined to say anything, I'll have the restraint enough not to...

... and by restraint I mean leather straps holding my arms down and electrodes on my fingers shocking every digit with electricity every time they hit the keyboard. :D

MichaelZWilliamson

Combat Word Hacker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You will get bad reviews.

I've had people clearly misidentify my book with another and complain about people and events never mentioned in mine.

I've had people with a clear political axe to grind who obviously never read the book in question.

I've had people not read for content and insist something was never mentioned even when it was discussed repeatedly.

I've had wannabe critics "deconstruct the paradigm" trying to look clever.

And I've had people who just didn't like the book but took the opportunity to assign all kinds of issues to the author (Because every book is a picture of the author's self, right?)

Against that, I've had 5 star reviews from people who are merely book addicts for whom every book is great, thanks can I have more, please?

This, however, is a textbook example of why not to respond to negative reviews.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ms. Sams asserts (and I'm paraphrasing) that a reviewer shouldn't say she didn't like a book, even if she didn't, because a lot of hard work goes in to writing a novel.

Then what is the function of a review?

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ms. Sams asserts (and I'm paraphrasing) that a reviewer shouldn't say she didn't like a book, even if she didn't, because a lot of hard work goes in to writing a novel.

Then what is the function of a review?

It vaguely would sound like the U.S. program of "no child left behind."

No book left behind?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Perks: to heap praise on the author, of course. Especially an author who's a finalist or winner of At Least 100 internet awards.
Oh. I see. That is good to know.

I did check out the reviewer in dispute there, L.B. Taylor, and she reads a lot. But she doesn't, as Ms. Sams accuses, go around trashing authors all over Amazon. She has reviews that cover the entire five-star rating system. She's seems as comfortable with praise as she does with complaint.

RavenCorinnCarluk

Burgeoning Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raven.youareannoying.us
That was so painful, I had to stop reading. But how conceited can you get?

If your editor made the book suck, why would you defend it? Write something else, and sell it to someone else.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Is it evil that I'm laughing, really hard? :roll:

Oh my gosh. Switch her to decaf and take her keyboard away!

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can you imagine being married to her? You have your first argument, and it lasts for 10 days, at the end of which you seriously want to find a high building and jump off? (While holding her in your arms of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.