Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Welcome to all Weekend Updaters, past, present and future. Yes, it's a new thread for a new year!

To refresh for those long-time Updaters and to clarify for all the new ones -- we're here to help you achieve your goals by being the place where you're accountable, being a cheering section, the shoulder to cry on, the folks who say those people who rejected you are fools, FOOLS, and they'll rue the day, the folks who cheer wildly when you get an acceptance, and so on.

The "Rules" for posting here are pretty simple.

1. You don't have to write humor to post here -- any writer writing in any or all genres can post here. But you can be funny if you want. We're all over the funny.
2. Every weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Sunday, we post the progress we've made with our various writing careers. This includes whatever you consider part of your career -- writing, editing, submitting, critiquing, promotion, brainstorming, research, etc. It's your career, it's up to you.
3. How to report? Give us your word count for the week, your submissions for the week, and anything else you did to move your career forward. It's that simple.
4. Since many writers are also artists and musicians, we count art- and music-related progress as well, as long as it's also part of your overall career.
5. The WPR Dominatrix (that's me) hands out virtual prizes and encouragements and so forth. Sometimes there are reporting challenges that all are encouraged to participate in, since they build writing skills (we swear).
6. There are prizes for: The most words written in a week; the most submissions for the week; the first to report each Friday; and the last to come in late (we don't encourage competition for this one!). Sometimes the WPR Dominatrix hands out extra prizes, depending on her mood and what someone's done. You never can tell.
7. What counts for submissions? Anything where your piece could be rejected. Blogs count for word count, but not for submission, UNLESS your blog can (really and truly) be rejected by someone else other than yourself, aka an actual editor/boss. When posting, be sure to make the distinction for a rejectable blog, so it can count in your submissions tally for the week.
8. Remember that being accountable helps achieve goals. We encourage updates even when someone hasn't done anything or anything much. The act of reporting IS an important step, and we want to hear from you, even if it's to say you achieved squat for the week.
9. Yes, if you drift away and come back there are no penalties. This is a support thread, not your job or your mom. Therefore, it's up to you how frequently you update. Studies have shown that being accountable is a huge factor in success (seriously, and we are not making this up), but it's all down to you, and we will not be down ON you.

Still confused about how it works? Check out the 2009 thread for examples.

So, welcome to 2010, the start of the next decade! (Really, it is. Look it up.) Let's make 2010 the Year of the Updaters and really achieve those career goals!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
*walks in...kicks tires...*

My Dog, I just love that new thread smell.

Welcome, 2010 thread. Enjoy your stay with us. :)

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Wow. You two are starting early. It's not even 2010 yet and already the thread has dog fur and slung mud all over it, not to mention some weird glitter and what looks like an abandoned false beard with crumbs.

*sigh*

What's a thread leader to do?

*Plots new smileys for the new year...*

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
I would like to point out that...

HE STARTED IT!!!!

I was going to turn over a new leaf this year and *gulps* be nice. So blame the stuffed intestines for why I'm not. :wag:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
You mean... there's prizes? I never knew this was for any genre... I have decided to write this year like a writer - and this whole accountability thing is so very necessary!

I've got my whole writing year planned out, so I shall be reporting! :) I hope there are shiney, glittery things to be had.... I like prizes.... :)

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
You mean... there's prizes? I never knew this was for any genre... I have decided to write this year like a writer - and this whole accountability thing is so very necessary!

I've got my whole writing year planned out, so I shall be reporting! :) I hope there are shiney, glittery things to be had.... I like prizes.... :)
Oh yes. Any and every genre, including nonfiction and writers of articles and so on. If you're creating, we're the place.

And lots of prizes. Sparkling smileys with extra encouragements on top and so forth. And weekly competitions to see who's achieved the most. It's definitely the place to be!

So, welcome, Bettielee! We'll be glad to have you join us!

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com

:welcome: and feel free to kick the dog whenever you want!!!!

:deadhorse (this smiley would be PERFECT if it was a Haggis instead of a horse!)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Bettie.

Do you see the hostility I have to face here, week after week? Thank Dog you're not evil like that WhinerGirl. Why she'd steal a toothpick from a starving woodpecker, she would.

I'm sorry you had to see all of that.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you worry Haggie-poo. As soon as whiner girl drops that pup she'll be too busy to bother us. :evil

MM

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, now I remember why I ran out of here screaming. hello lostgirl.

To quote a writer on Twitter today, "2010 will be my bitch." I think that will sum up my upcoming year quite nicely, really.

And I brought BROWNIES for y'all! Except lostgirl.

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan, now I remember why I ran out of here screaming. hello lostgirl.

To quote a writer on Twitter today, "2010 will be my bitch." I think that will sum up my upcoming year quite nicely, really.

And I brought BROWNIES for y'all! Except lostgirl.

*tackles wyntermoon and grabs the brownies* :e2woo: I :heart: brownies!!!!!

lostgirl

Always Watching
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisadovichi.com
I'm totally grabbing the FIRST dancing banana of the new year.. and so help the person who sneaks in here before I finish updating.

This week I:

1.) continued Club 100 -- I can't remember how many days and am not going to go look it up and miss my banana cha cha cha.. :D

2.) did some web work

3.) did some beta reading

4.) and I actually WROTE 200 words (not much.. but it's the first creative writing I've done in A WHILE!!!!!)

It's my birthday!! Let's celebrate by beating Haggis like a pinata!!!!

Peace out!!!!

ETA: :e2woo: I TOTALLY GOT IT!!!!!! GO ME!!! OH YEAH OH YEAH IT'S MY BIRTHDAY OH YEAH!!! Can I have my banana wearing a g-string please? :D

Last edited:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to follow Wyntermoon's eloquent "2010 will be my bitch" with this toast to 2010:

May it not suck like 2009.

Later, gators

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reporting in with no report. I wanted to be first, but didn't stay up till midnight. And then that whiner girl snuck in.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.