And then there were None by Agatha Christie

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure lots of you read this, and I'm curious about your opinions.

I read around 7 or 8 books by Agatha Christie but this one connected with me the most. I just loved, and at the same time it gave me the chills, when I read the part with U.N.Owen (UNKNOWN) and afterwards Wargrave's account of how everything happened. It just seemed so incredible that Mrs. Christie had the wits to write such a thing without being psychologically imbalanced. It also surprised me there was no Miss Marple or Poirot inside, but I quickly got over it considering it was one of her best, if not the best book she ever made.

And the red herring clue was just brilliant.
I don't know about your opinions, but to me her writing is something like Hemingway - short and to the point. Each word means something.

Any thoughts? :)

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read this book in close to fifteen years, but I have it on my TBR stack to re-read. I loved it. It's been long enough that I really don't remember all of it and I don't remember who the villain ended up being, but I'm excited to read it again. I just remember being fascinated by all of the characters and the entire story. Hmmm... I think I'll move it up to the top of the stack. Absolutely one of my favorite books and definitely my favorite of Agatha Christie's.

hitchhiker

Human Torpedo
Registered
Reaction score
Agatha Christie was what got me started reading, and that was one of my favorites.

Ten Little Indians went out to dine,
one stayed up too late and then there were nine.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE this story. It was one of the first I read of Christie's and it's what made me fall in love with her writing. She was a master.

Y'all know the original title wasn't Ten Little Indians, though, right?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Yes, that's what I was referring to. I had trouble finding reference to the original title online. But then again I'm at work and didn't really want to Google it. Thanks for finding that.

It was originally called that because that was how the original children's rhyme went.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Little_Indians

The original was Ten Little Injuns, written to be performed in a blackface minstrel show. A year later, someone else adapted it to be Ten Little Niggers instead, which was apparently much funnier to white folk in the 1860s.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I loved that book. When I was a kid, I spent one summer reading every Agatha Christie book I could find. I'd sit in the swing at Granny's and read all day. My favorite, though, was The Murder of Roger Akroyd. I also really liked The Harlequin. That one was rather spooky.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
One of her best books is the somewhat underrated Nemesis.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I love Christie. She's my mother's favorite, and Mom turned me on to her when I was about ten or so. I love the Jane Marples and the ones like And Then There Were None. I'm a little less enthused by the Poirots, though.

Some of the ones I reread when I'm sick are: And Then There Were None, Bertram's Hotel, and The Mirror Crack'd, and I love Nemesis as well.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I read this book when I was very young, maybe eleven or so, and it really shook me. It was the first book to make me realize that just because someone is the main character, it doesn't mean that they're a good person. Seems obvious now, but at the time it was quite the revelation.

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite Christie books. And the old B/W movies made from this were pretty good too.

MrRuff

Call me Brett. Or Lord Xch'tautl.
Registered
Reaction score
And Then There Were None

I tried to search to see if there was already a thread for this, but apparently the words then, there, were, and none are too common to be included in the search! :p I did a quick search for Agatha Christie, but couldn't find a thread dedicated solely dedicated to this, unless I just missed it. So: here we are!

I've started reading through Agatha Christie started with Murder at the Vicarage, which was good. But then I got onto And Then There Were None and... I'm simply blown away.

It's the only book that I've ever truly found to be unputdownable. It was so addictive and kept me guessing right to the end.

And, save for one murder, I never saw the deaths coming and they always made me gasp. And the one death that didn't shock me was Justice Wargreave. If you've read the book... Well, she certainly managed to shock me in regards to that death in the end, anyway!

Saying that makes me thing—are we allowed to discuss spoilers without tagging them?

Anyway, what did you think of And Then There Were None? Who did you suspect before the reveal? Discuss away :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might also want to watch the early movie version (the one with Walter Huston). They changed the ending. It's available on YouTube.

For your next book, I'd maybe suggest The Mysterious Affair at Styles or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (even if the plot twist is a bit lame). I really liked the opening chapters of Roger Ackroyd; it's Christie at her best.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Its casual and intrinsic bigotry takes away from the clever plotting for me. It's one of the few cases where I like the Walter Huston movie better, even though they changed the ending. (To be fair, I've read several otherwise good books from the same era that shock me with passages of bigot-speak.)

MrRuff

Registered
Reaction score
Hm, I'll be sure to check out the movie version, sounds interesting.

Regarding the original title, It's one of the rare cases where I accept changes to the original version because of race issues.

Whoever ordered them to remove Mammy Two Shoes from Tom & Jerry cartoons, however, deserves nothing less than jail. I know it's a stereotype, but that was completely lost on me as a child and as an adult, I'm capable of understanding it and why it's there. You can't erase opinions of the past. Keeping them alive in film doesn't mean we still believe them.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to merge this thread with the existing Agatha Christie thread, which began with a discussion of And then there there None. :)

MrRuff, just for future reference, your search should work if you put the title within quotation marks. That will instruct the search engine to look for the entire phrase.

The stickied posts at the top of the list of Bookclub threads are gobsmackingly good reads. :)

MrRuff

Registered
Reaction score
You might also want to watch the early movie version (the one with Walter Huston). They changed the ending. It's available on YouTube.

For your next book, I'd maybe suggest The Mysterious Affair at Styles or The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (even if the plot twist is a bit lame). I really liked the opening chapters of Roger Ackroyd; it's Christie at her best.

Thanks! I picked up Styles today. But I've decided (although I know it's not necessary) that I'm going to read the Marple and Poirot books in order, at least for now. So Roger Ackroyd will have to wait! But, you know, best till last and all that.

One thing I adore about these books are the covers. They're wonderful: http://www.thedrum.co.uk/uploads/news/old/8927/master.agatha_20covers.jpg (And they're not even the best ones!)

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to add The Pale Horse to the recommendations. One of my fave Christie reads :).

MrRuff

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, might be my next one, we'll see.

I keep buying one of these Agatha Christie books every few days and I need to stop being so picky about book quality, I really wanted The Mysterious Mr Quin but there there was a tiny snag on the cover, so I got The Seven Dials Mystery.

I'm not being unreasonable by not buying The Body in the Library though, there's a gigantic tear on the back. I'll buy it as soon as they get in a new copy :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One slight word of warning (although I don't think it's something you really have to worry about): there can be more than one version of a Christie novel. Sometimes when a novel was republished it would be edited. For example, I've seen two versions of Murder is Easy (both hardback); the one published in an economical format was edited and shortened slightly.