Joanne Harris, anyone? Toni Morrison?

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so excited about a book order I just placed :D I have not read Chocolat or Beloved in ages!

I ordered those, plus ones I've never read. Any thoughts on these, or either author?

Harris:
Chocolat
The Girl With No Shadow
Five Quarters of the Orange

Morrison:
Beloved
Tar Baby

Please indicate spoilers before you give them, btw. I'm not capturing what I want to capture in my WIP, and I'd list these authors as amazing yardsticks for what I like. Are you a fan?

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Beloved is one that I resisted reading. I had heard it's boring, intellectual, and uncomfortably PC--the type of book people pretend to like in order to impress others.

It's really not that at all. It's an entertaining story very much worth reading.

Funny anecdote about Beloved. It's one of those books people try hard to understand. In the copy I got from the library some a-hole had written notes in it.

Morrison keeps mentioning that the young male characters "fucked cattle," and in the margins the note-taker wrote, "Why does she keep referring to people as cattle?"

*Slaps forehead*

Sometimes we try too hard!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant, lol!!!

I didn't know people thought Beloved sounded intellectual in that way, btw. No, it's too nice and creepy to feel that way about it :D I thought the movie was hard to understand, though.

I am meaning to have these all be Magical Realism (mood, for my WIP), but people have the funniest reaction to that term. The mood of mine is more like Chocolat (with sarcasm), but you can't beat Morrison for bringing in the ghouls in an awesome way ;)

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I love Harris. There's just this richness to her writing that's awesome (I think it must be the food aspect and the French setting, lol). Anyway, of the three books you've mentioned I've only read two Five Quarters of the Orange and Chocolat and I can honestly say I loved both *will not say anything more that is spoilery*

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read Chocolat and I got a real sense of sadness from it. I still enjoyed it, and it's just my interpretation, but I found it very melancholic. I'd be interested if anyone felt the same. I saw the film first, which is very cheerful and I was surprised by the book. I keep a look out in charity shops for her other books.

I can't help you with Toni Morrison, though. I've never read her. :)

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
If I ever meet Toni Morrison,I will completely embarrass myself by shrieking and fainting at her feet. Beloved is one of my favorites and so is The Bluest Eye. Ms. Morrison just takes you on a journey and she goes deep every time. Real,raw and powerful emotions leaps from the page to your soul. She will always be one of my favorite authors.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't they the best?! I do love Toni more. Fran, you have to read her. The mood can get a little heavy -- but in that amazing kind of way.

Chocolat is different from the movie. I like it better. I read that she did like the movie, btw. I love that some people don't consider her to be MR because she's just not literary enough :) I like that not all MR is terribly heavy or obscure.

Inkspatters, it's the sensuality of her work that does it for me :) And her themes. I hope Five Quarters of the Orange is a little wicked. I like the complexities of childhood.

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite Harris book is Blackberry Wine.

Mine too. I liked Chocolat but I adored Blackberry Wine. Joanne Harris did very well capturing the mood of the late 70's; every time Jay recalled something from his childhood I felt like I knew him, that he'd been to my school or lived on my estate. Must read that again soon.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite is either Coastliners or The Lollipop Shoes -- the theme of identity in this one just amazed me (Oh hang on, I think that this IS The Girl With No Shadow. Except being Australian I didn't recognise it by its USian title). I haven't read Blackberry Wine yet -- and though I love the seventies I'm not likely to be able to reminisce :( (born in the nineties, lol) -- so maybe that would be a favourite if I did read it.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I have to read Blackberry Wine, too :)

Bad news, though. Oh, Toni, Toni, I hope you were young and new when you wrote Tar Baby! I hate having to say that, but I do.

A lot of the problem has to do with story, and with the Tar Baby metaphor. It was not as wise as the reviewers led me to believe; and if you're doing a trickster tale, be tricky ;)

The language itself was like an unpolished, scattered Morrison. Awesome to know as a writer! This is the woman who wrote Beloved! And I will thieve a few tricks from this book, just nothing as wise as I wanted.

moanasaves

Registered
Reaction score
have to agree with backslashbaby that tar baby is one of morrison's 'weaker' novels. that said, morrison's weak stuff would be powerful if it weren't held up to the rest of her work. beloved confused me the first time i read it--i was young and not a mother then. i read it 5 yrs and 1 baby later and have loved it ever since. morrison's work is so layered with meaning. i aspire to that kind of writing. some of her work that i love: the bluest eye, paradise and a mercy. the only work of hers i haven't read yet is love--and only because i gave it to my friend in NZ because i knew it hadn't been released there yet.