Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Fantasy Romance with a Non-Alpha hero?

I'm writing a fantasy trilogy with a strong romance element. The heroine is a bad-ass assassin and the hero is a healer. I was looking for some fantasy romance books with hero's that are not alpha. I guess I wanted to see the dynamic where the woman is more take-charge then the man.

Any suggestions?

srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'll buy it, in a second. Other than that, all I can say is: good luck. I know of all of 2 published romances that fit this bill. I wish there were more.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
srgalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
I'll buy it, in a second. Other than that, all I can say is: good luck. I know of all of 2 published romances that fit this bill. I wish there were more.
Thanks Veinglory I think mine will fall under fantasy, rather than fantasy/romance...but for research purposes, I thought looking at romantic fantasy might be good for me. I know that in romance, the hero tends to be very alpha. There is a very alpha male character in the book as well, but he isn't the LI.

Would you mind telling me what those two published romances are? Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The examples I can think of from fantasy, which I read more often, would seem to be nil. The examples that came to mind from romance were 'Taming the Forest King' by Claudia Edwards (fantasy, with romance elements) and a Harlequin the title of which escapes me (not fantasy)

Maybe other people will know of more alpha fem/beta man. I hope so.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:20 AM   #5
ap123
Twitching

ap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsap123 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I prefer beta heroes. Some alpha elements, but I think even within the gloss of HEA, it's easier for me to believe in and root for the betas.

Try it, you might like it. Blogging life in the big city with Mrs Fringe.
ap123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #6
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Who Fears Death?

It's not a romance as such, but there is a romance, if that makes sense, and the guy is a healer where the girl is the powerful wizard.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
srgalactica

Do you know the authors name? I just looked it up and don't think it's the same book.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nnedi Okorafor - it won the World Fantasy award a year or two ago.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote