The Club Dumas

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't slept in days. I hope you all will forgive any incoherence on my part this morning.

I've been reading Athuro Perez-Reverte's novel The Club Dumas, which was, of course, made into the movie The Ninth Gate. This book has completely sucked me in. Sometimes, I'm not sure, if I, and not Lucas Corso, the book's protagonist, am in there, in those pages. I love books like that. The strange coincidences in the book, seem to jump into your life.

I'm not finished, but it's a terrific intellectual/occult thriller that pulls you along, into a world of ancient books, Dumas' manuscripts, The Three Musketeers, fallen angels, the blur between life and literature, and, of course, the devil himself (or herself).

Anyone else read this, like it, hate it, think I'm f-ing nuts?

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Read it! Just re-read it and might do so again! I've enjoyed and re-read most of Athuro Perez-Reverte's novels. The Seville Communion is his best, imo. Some of his other works have been made into films - check out the Wikipedia entry for Perez-Reverte as they have a list of the films. One of the Alatriste series was filmed with Viggo Mortensen as Alatriste - I am still waiting to see it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read it! Just re-read it and might do so again! I've enjoyed and re-read most of Athuro Perez-Reverte's novels. The Seville Communion is his best, imo. Some of his other works have been made into films - check out the Wikipedia entry for Perez-Reverte as they have a list of the films. One of the Alatriste series was filmed with Viggo Mortensen as Alatriste - I am still waiting to see it.

I'll definitely be reading all of his books. Fantastic stuff. Phenomenally well researched. So, the Seville Communion should be my next Perez-Reverte reading? Supposing, of course, I don't go mad reading this book first. :)

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Yep! Seville Communion! Though I think they are all good the Alatriste one that I read was badly translated - some of it was pure goobbledogook!

What I liked about his work was that the plots/storylines seemed credible. I am reading something now that has me laughing out loud because it is so over plotted and skips about from the eighth century to the twenty first! Blech!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The translation of The Club Dumas I'm reading is pretty well done. Though, I wish I could read it in Spanish.

Shakesbear

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh... Alatriste, the film, is in Spanish. I don't think the books I have read have lost from being translated - except the Alatriste one.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fisnished it over the weekend. Terrific. The ending is considerably different than the movie.

SPOILER ALERT:

The chick seems to be Lucifer.