Richard Laymon book suggestions

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
So, recently started getting into his books. Read The Beast House series, Funland and got The Glory Bus to start soon.

Anyone got any other suggestions for any of his books to read?

Had a look through all the books he's had published and really can't decide which one to buy :(

Cheers :)

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve read a few of his books but the one that stuck in my mind most is Body Rides. It’s been a few years since I read it but it’s about a magical bracelet where the wearer can leave their own body and hitch a ride in someone else’s. I enjoyed the book, but the thing about Layman is that he does (or did) like to have his female characters raped or abused at least once per story. I stopped reading him for that reason.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
the thing about Layman is that he does (or did) like to have his female characters raped or abused at least once per story. I stopped reading him for that reason.

This. I forget which book did the trick for me, but he had a female character torturing several characters, and it made me ill. He's crossed off my list forever.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
but the thing about Layman is that he does (or did) like to have his female characters raped or abused at least once per story. I stopped reading him for that reason.

I read a few of his books, got bored by his rape fetish and thought he hit a new low with a rape victim enjoying being raped - enjoying it to the point of orgasm.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Glad I quit before that one. Dear Mr. Laymon: Perhaps you should ask a woman or three what women actually think/feel about rape before you write another one?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Glad I quit before that one. Dear Mr. Laymon: Perhaps you should ask a woman or three what women actually think/feel about rape before you write another one?

I wouldn't expect a reply from Laymon too quickly seeing as he's dead. :D

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
Seems I'm the only Laymon fan here. Dunno whether that's a good thing or not or what that says about me as a person :(

Body Rides sounds interesting though so I'll probs end up checking that out. Cheers :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Seems I'm the only Laymon fan here.

He wasn't a bad writer; he had a market and he filled that market well in the same way that, say, Shaun Hutson does. I suppose it's just a matter of taste. I've got no problem with violence, gore, blood and snot flying about the pages in a horror story, but I do think a disturbing fixation on rape (and presenting it as he did in the book that put me off him) is either trying to shock for the sake of it or something he should have sought help for.

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
Layman knew how to tell a story, and I liked his clean easy to read style. I have no objection to including rape in a book if it serves the plot, but in Layman’s case it often didn’t and I got the impression he rather enjoyed writing those scenes a little too much.

But it doesn’t say anything about you as a person or as a reader. Lots of people enjoy his books. My favourite book is about serial killing cannibals, so what does that say about me? Like I care :D

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My favorite books are about utterly evil gods who suck your life, soul, and mind as dinner, causing you agony and insanity in the process.

I like to call it "escapism." :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I read The Stake years ago and that was a decent tale. Laymon definitely knew his way around a story, but the rape thing...:Wha:

Reaction score
Whichever book you choose, I can guarantee someone will be raped in it.

Possibly even cannibalised too.

Reaction score
I'm not joking. I read one of his books where there were a houseful of mentals who ate themselves. They used to wheel themselves about in chairs, munching on their own legs.

Uh...yeah.

Now, when it comes to torture (as has been mentioned), I don't have a problem with it if it's vital to the story but Laymon's obsession with abuse of all sorts leads me to believe it was his own fetish, rather than a literary device.

Baryonyx

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not joking. I read one of his books where there were a houseful of mentals who ate themselves. They used to wheel themselves about in chairs, munching on their own legs.

At the risk of sounding odd I actually wanna read that. Sounds different at least.

Reaction score
I can't remember which book it was. I bleached the title from my brains, but the autophage cripples stayed with me.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Z, I'll admit to being a Laymon fan too...

Yes, I already know I'm a sick individual. First step is admitting it, eh?

You should read Island. One of my Laymon favorites.

And yes, there is rape involved. And abuse.

And I think it's actually pertinent to the story; to the development of the psychopathic antag. Go figure. ;)

cletus

I'm a king bee
Registered
Reaction score
As you're already a Laymon fan you pretty much know what you're going to get with any of his books. I've read about 15 of his books and will second the suggestions for Island, The Travelling Vampire Show, and Body Rides. Will also add Night In The Lonesome October and Darkness, Tell Us. Of the ones I've read, I didn't enjoy Amara and Blood Games as much as the others.