Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Angry I HATE MY NEIGHBORS

My aunt owns the house I live in. Since she bought this house, there has been a never ending stream of neighbors who think they have the right to tell her what she is and isn't allowed to do with her property. They fully believe they have the right to use her property at will.

She has repeatedly told them to get off her property, told them to get bent etc.

Now I have a more umm, testy nature than my aunt. One reason I have a fireball chucking woman as my idol and avatar.

Last straw came for me this morning. My aunt let me know that yesterday one of our neighbors informed her that she had to have OUR car out of OUR driveway by 8 in the morning because the neighbor is having landscaping work and the landscapers will be parking in our driveway for the day.

The neighbor then adds my aunt will have to find a place to park on the street. Given the congestion in this city finding street parking is an impossible task in-and-of-itself. Oh and Thursday, the day our neighbor has deemed our off limits to us is street sweeping day. Any car park on the street will be tagged and towed.

Now once my aunt old me this I EXPLODED!!! I am so sick of the fucking people around us trying to take control of my aunt's property. I think the neighbor might very well have heard my reaction to this. I think they heard me in Guam.

I will be moving our car to the end of our driveway tomorrow morning, thus blocking any access to it.

I HATE THESE PEOPLE

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might want to at least drop a call to the local police station to explain the problem. Then if there is any trouble from the neighbors or their contractor they arrive knowing what the deal is.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What kind of place do you live in that the neighbours feel they can dictate this sort of thing? Is it a detached home with private driveway, duplex with shared driveway, co-op? Does your aunt sometimes acquiesce to the neighbours' wishes, thereby having set a precident?

Never give in to unreasonable demands or you'll forever be a dupe. Sorry you have to deal with this nonsense. I've had bad neighbours and can relate.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
FreeWhistler
Cookie monster

FreeWhistler is a shiny, shiny jewelFreeWhistler is a shiny, shiny jewel
I have the greatest neighbors. They keep to themselves. I keep to myself. Sometimes we wave. It's perfect. ^_^
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputationthehairymob has a double-platinum reputation
Why don't you go to the neighbours and make some of your own demands like they need to build and pay for a new pool in your back yard.
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Definitely park the car in the driveway and stand your ground.

I bet they won't pay for the ticket if your car gets tagged or towed, so... let them worry about where the landscapers are going to park.

And yes, a phone call to the police might help. Although I suspect the neighbors are too cowardly to take it to the next level, since they've got no legal right to ask for anything.

I'd also explain to your aunt that legally, it's very dangerous to let them do anything they want on her/your property. If they get injured or someone else does, bet you dollars to donuts they'll file a huge lawsuit against you/your aunt.

Good neighbors = high fence.

just my thoughts...
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My thought was that you might want the police clued in if the contractor tries to squeeze past and damages the car, or something like that.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for all the advice and support.

I didn't even think about the legal ramifications of them parking here and having an accident or injury, thanks for that heads up, Sheryl.

CaroGirl we live a single family home detached and completely independent from our neighbors houses and property. Makes their audacity even more galling.

thehairymob, love the pool idea

Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
My thought was that you might want the police clued in if the contractor tries to squeeze past and damages the car, or something like that.
Fortunately, it's a one car wide driveway so if I have the car at the end of the driveway, it's blocked completely.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #10
CaroGirl
Living the dream

CaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaroGirl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by regdog View Post
CaroGirl we live a single family home detached and completely independent from our neighbors houses and property. Makes their audacity even more galling.
Yes, it does!

I like the liability/potential lawsuit issue. If they bring it up again, say you can't possibly allow it and suggest the landscapers park on their front lawn.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Snowstorm
Snow's here!

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds neighbors are just strutting their "power." Any contractor is used to having to deal with tight spaces, tight parking, having to maneuver around obstacles. The contractors will manage just fine.

Boy, these neighbors are a piece of ... work.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
KTC
THE REASONS - Now Available!

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
do not move that car or i will hit you myself.
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #13
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I can't even conceive of how far up their own asses your neighbors must be to think that they own the rights to use your driveway! That's total madness.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

Thanks. You guys rock!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #15
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
good luck

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.
sassandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Um, NO. Your neighbors can park THEIR car on the street so the landscapers can park on THEIR driveway, thank you. Sheryl brought up an excellent point on the liability issue -- you don't want to be responsible if someone gets hurt. I also agree with calling the police to give them a heads-up in case they raise a stink. Good luck.

Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #17
kct webber
Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.

kct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm pretty sure I hate your neighbors too.

Don't move the car. They can fuck themselves to death.

And I know what you mean about being more... outspoken than some family members. My mother has historically been a pushover. (She's better than she was.) But sometimes she'll tell me about something that she just bowed to, rather than cause a scene, or cause tension... I really, really dislike people like the ones you're describing, who just assume upon people. My user title is not a lie. Those people generally hear from me.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ~ Red Green

Last edited by kct webber; 04-21-2010 at 09:51 PM.
kct webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

Thanks

Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I HATE THESE PEOPLE
Look, we've got things we need to take care of. I'm sorry but our needs are just more important than yours. Deal with it.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
kct webber
Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.

kct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Damn, I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

<------hates Regdog's neighbors even more the more he thinks of it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ~ Red Green

kct webber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
dgrintalis
'Tis true, she is a monstergirl

dgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Last straw came for me this morning. My aunt let me know that yesterday one of our neighbors informed her that she had to have OUR car out of OUR driveway by 8 in the morning because the neighbor is having landscaping work and the landscapers will be parking in our driveway for the day.
Wow! That takes some serious gall. What part of YOUR driveway do they not understand?

Quote:
I will be moving our car to the end of our driveway tomorrow morning, thus blocking any access to it.
Good for you! Why the bloody hell can't THEIR landscapers park in THEIR driveway?

INK on Goodreads
INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.
dgrintalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
Fran
Slate grey mole person

Fran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or, let them use the driveway and then send them an invoice. Invoice them when you have the grass cut, your guttering cleaned, your fence painted, anything external you can think of. If they want to use your aunt's property, they can share in the cost of its upkeep.

WIPs - The Karma Keeper Urban fantasy/magical realism thingie 44,397 of 85,000

The Poison Master 128 of 85,000

The Judgement Tree 1,028 of 85,000

Family history, complete. Awaiting copy from Createspace.

Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct webber View Post
Damn, I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

<------hates Regdog's neighbors even more the more he thinks of it.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrintalis View Post
Wow! That takes some serious gall. What part of YOUR driveway do they not understand?

Good for you! Why the bloody hell can't THEIR landscapers park in THEIR driveway?
I wondered that myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
Or, let them use the driveway and then send them an invoice. Invoice them when you have the grass cut, your guttering cleaned, your fence painted, anything external you can think of. If they want to use your aunt's property, they can share in the cost of its upkeep.
I like it

Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #24
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If your neighbors give you any more grief concerning demands on your property, have a lawyer send them a cease and desist letter. Any letter sent from a lawyer usually gets a person's attention. Our lawyer told us just to send our neighbor, who was dumping her tree cuttings, plant material, and dirty cat box litter on our property, a letter with his name cc'd in. Once they know you have legal representation, they usually back off.

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #25
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellecshual

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
By the way, regdog, we're also gonna need you to clear out your freezer, as we're going hunting next week-end and will need the extra space for the venison. Feel free to drop off a key to your house at your leisure...as long as you do it today between 4 and 4:15.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

It's still June 27th, 1914

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote