June Book Study - Perdido Street Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the SF/F Book Study. This thread is for discussion of Perdido Street Station by China Miéville.

***Spoilers*** will be streaking naked through this thread unpredictably. You have been warned.

If anyone wants to see the previous book studies:

2008:
Ender's Game (August)
Lies of Locke Lamora (September)
A Deepness in the Sky (October)
A Fire in the Deep (November)
Storm Front (December)

2009:
I Am Legend (January)
The Onion Girl (February)
Lord of Light (March)
Small Gods (April)
Beggars in Spain (May)
The Once and Future King (June)
Foundation (July)
The Graveyard Book (August)
Neuromancer (September)
The Last Wish (October)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (November)
One Hundred Years of Solitude (December)

2010:
Battle Royale (January)
Jhereg (February)
Cyberabad Days (March)
Tigana (April)
Next (May)

Thank you to Broken Fingers for starting the book study!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not done, but one thing I have to get off my chest.

There's lots of little things about the world (specifically the city and its dynamics) that are making it hard to suspend disbelief. The worse is the garuda all slumming and flying around and doing nothing. Hello! Hunters. Forest. City full of mouths to feed! Even if they caught small game, they'd have more than enough to not only get by, but to be respected for their talents.

Or if the forest is overhunted, rabbits. Or be aerial spies. Messengers. Assassins. They have a limited resource- wings (plus they are literate and brainy), and any number of ways to exploit that resource.

On a related note, there was one mention of farms about 1/4 of the way in, which is good b/c I was really starting to wonder where food came from.

Any one else notice this? Or any other oddities of city dynamics?

More when I finish... it is keeping me turning the page, but I'm skipping some paragraphs too...

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
I absolutely loved this book.
And I had no problems with suspension of dis-belief. In LoTR, did anyone question what all those orcs in Mordor ate? Nope. And I don't believe Tolkein ever mentioned orc farms. Fenika, I think you are being overly picky, for the sake of being picky. Hunting is a skill. And those Garuda in New Crobuzon were second and third generation immigrants, with no skill at hunting. You might as well try to say Mexican-Americans are descended from Mayan and Aztec warriors, yet here they mow lawns and wash dishes. Why are they not used in the army as superior fighters? (this is an example used to illustrate a point, not representative of my opinion on hispanic immigrants)
Mievile's prose is lushly dark, without becoming 'purple prose'. His characters are believable and sympathetic.
I loved the way he took science and turned it on its head, keeping it somewhat familiar, yet disturbingly different. What science would be in a world filled with magic.
I absolutely loved the bohemians and artists and druggies that he dealt with.
I am tired to death of elves and heroic sword wielding warriors and wizards. Give me sculptors and rogue scientists and drug addicts any day. And politicians dealing with hell? Man, I loved that. That was hilarious.
The story was compelling, and richly told. The ending was a bit of a bummer, I admit. I dont mind sad endings, but this one struck me to the core. Characters dying, fine, I can deal with that. But what happened to Lin? Man, that sucked.
The scheme that the Handlingers came up with was a bit of a stretch for me, I must admit. And the story did drag after a while. Mielvile could have wrapped that up fifty pages earlier if he wanted to. But then, when immersed in such a richly imagined world, I dont want it to end.
If I must look for criticism(so I do more than simply gush), then I would say that the Weaver was a bit of a contrivance. Far to convenient of a plot devise, if you ask me. There was enough interesting stuff in there for two or three books, he did not need to introduce every little cool thing in his city/world in the first book.
And yes, I have read The Scar and Iron Council too, I know there is more to his world.
No, I have to say I loved this book. A lot. My copy is rather worn from re-reading, and I have reccomended it to everyone who cares to listen.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I read this book recently and have very mixed feelings about. Some parts I loved, found gripping, could not put the book down, etc. Other parts just seemed to drag on and on and on. In other words, the pacing was extremely naff. But, dammit, this book has started haunting me. Anytime I see slime, moths, or beetles I think of this book. The slakemoths were fantastic. And that ending was absolutely perfect. So damn sick of happy, happy ever afters.

ELMontague

I too am not done yet, so a general comment. My immediate reaction on picking it up was, over-written. That's a style preference. After about a hundred pages I stopped noticing it and just hunkered down for the story. I'm in the last hundred pages now, so I'll be able to comment shortly with more detail.

One other comment, Mieville prefers his world to be a decaying mass. I don't see the world that way, so it comes off as a bummer. I definitely see the slums, and the down and out, and the druggies, and the bad politicians, and the criminals, and the strikes, and the pollution, and all that jazz, but really even the sty blooms a flower. His world is unbalanced. The city is a great wash of corruption, but there has to be good somewhere, even if only in a child's eyes.

My thoughts.

ELMontague

Spoiler... maybe.

OK, just finished the book. I wasn't sure throughout, but now I am certain. That's probably it for me and Mieville. His reputation is stellar. I find that I don't like his characters. Grimnublin is a bastard. Yag was wronged, though he too was wrong. And Derkhan was a coward.

The book was relatively satisfying, though not my style, through the last ten pages of the book. Introducing Yag's victim only then to yank away his redemption was a cheat. I could have given Mieville the cheat of killing three moths all at once in an overdone scheme, but I wanted to throw the book when Grimnublin was willing to turn his back without even facing Yag. I hope his boat sinks and gives Lin a way out. Maybe they'll drag Dee to safety. Let the slugs have Grimnublin.

Or maybe I'm overreacting.

Time for a new book to wash off the filth.

Mann Crux

Love it would be much better
Registered
Reaction score
I received this book as a present a year or so ago and loved it. Picked it up the other day and seriously struggled to get through certain passages. I ignored the first few pages (I did the same thing the first time I read the story) and found the pacing to be excruciatingly glacial in places.

Still, the world-building was excellent. It would be fair to say that I fell in love with New Crobuzon, despite the wordy descriptions. Part of this may have been that it reminds me of my own fantasy world (though mine is not quite so soul-crushingly depressing).

I'm glad I read it, but it isn't in my annual re-read pile.

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
I almost forgot I had a copy of this from when it was in the Suvudu free book library last year (fall? winter? I forget when), so I've started reading. I just started Chapter 6, and...well, is it just me, or does New Crobuzon exist in a vacuum? There's no sense of it being part of a larger world. (No, Yagharek isn't enough.) I don't think the constant descriptions of decay, refuse, and outright calling the city a carcass are helping either. Or is this supposed to be a dying city -- and if so, why aren't people leaving?

Maybe I'm just overanalyzing this, but the worldbuilding isn't working for me.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, finally got through to the end, though I did skim and skip whole pages toward the end.

I'm somewhere on the fence as to whether this book reaked or rocked. Ironically, I think it is the characters that got me through to the end.

I did see Lin's survival a few hundred pages off, right after they declared her dead. Realized she'd be half dead about when the slake moth started feeding and the rush to save her dragged on for paragraphs. That's one character I didn't connect with- A bug on a human head- really? At least the others are a bird/frog/cactus basically crossed on a human base. I did like the artist slant but it wasn't enough to save the character in my mind.

I feel the rotten world was built up around the flawed characters and overemphasized. You were just oozing in atmosphere more fake than a Barbie Family Christmas and everyone is smiling for no reason. I like the skeleton of the story more than the actual execution.

And Morris, I hate to argue with you, but I did say the geruda had many options- like winged messengers. You can't keep an entire group down in a mongrel city. I feel like too much was forced to be dire just to fit the mold. It was frustrating.

As for the plot, it went pretty well (like the characters) aside from flow issues. The end was a let down, but at least fit the expectations of the story to a degree. I did really really want Yag to fly again after so much build up (and being partial to winged beasts), but the fact that he was denied I can live with even if it came a little cheaply. That last crush of hope as he refused to go with Jack just made me glad I was on the last page and could close the book. A little breaking away from the mood of the book would have been appropriate here. Yag fought the moths, he was primed to fight with Jack. But nay.

Actually, now I like the book a little less, having written that out :eek:

In short: Overwritten, over dramatized, but a good strong core that should have been placed in a natural world with CONTRASTS to emphasize the point; not with so much consistency like an inbred purebred dog with hip dysplasia and too many genetic diseases to count. Something like that anyways.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We seem to pick books that folks either feel strongly about or are divided over or whatnot :) Is that good or bad, lol

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
We seem to pick books that folks either feel strongly about or are divided over or whatnot :) Is that good or bad, lol

It's probably good. It reminds us that you can't please everyone, and also that there's someone out there who will enjoy your story no matter what kind of style you use. (To a point.) Definitely positives in my book.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
In retrospect, I probably should have phrased my opinion on the book much more clearly. I think I was a little too easy on it at the time. But in my opinion, Mieville's writing is one of the things wrong with modern fantasy, and I'll likely avoid any writer in the future who cites him as an influence.

That said, I dis a lot of the books I read, even if they're enjoyable reads. I think everything deserves a nice helping of harsh criticism. But PSS is aggressively bad.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
In retrospect, I probably should have phrased my opinion on the book much more clearly. I think I was a little too easy on it at the time. But in my opinion, Mieville's writing is one of the things wrong with modern fantasy, and I'll likely avoid any writer in the future who cites him as an influence.

That said, I dis a lot of the books I read, even if they're enjoyable reads. I think everything deserves a nice helping of harsh criticism. But PSS is aggressively bad.

Hmm. Don't read any of my shit then, if it ever gets published, because I think China's work is great. Flawed (like everybody else), but still great.

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
I read part of this book when it first came out. Liked it just fine for the first few chapters: interesting world, interesting characters, interesting cultures. It was dark and dirty, but I can handle that sort of thing. Or so I thought.

At a certain point I started thinking some of the shocking and disgusting scenes were there just for the sake of being shocking and disgusting. Never finished the book.

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I read part of this book when it first came out. Liked it just fine for the first few chapters: interesting world, interesting characters, interesting cultures. It was dark and dirty, but I can handle that sort of thing. Or so I thought.

At a certain point I started thinking some of the shocking and disgusting scenes were there just for the sake of being shocking and disgusting. Never finished the book.

New Weird does draw a lot of influence from horror...

LoopyLinde

Registered
Reaction score
New Weird does draw a lot of influence from horror.

Well there's horrifying or frightening, and then there's just disgusting. Maybe I don't read enough horror or something, but it seemed to me the author was trying to gross people out the same way a kid would. To make us go ewww!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This vet was amused by the gore. Of course, I'm into pathology, so I'm already a sick, twisted person :D

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, last day of the study and I finally finished the book! (That's what happens when I try to get through a monstrous 700-page book while trying to move to a new place...)

Okay, here goes...I really loved this book except for the resolution of the Lin plot. A little dark for me, and Meiville loves to reuse certain words in strange contexts (pugnacious, glutinous, lascivious, etc...), but I didn't mind. I was thoroughly entranced by how this world and its critters was completely different from anything I have ever read. Yeah, there were a few places where my eyes glazed over when he was describing the city's layouts, but that was only a minor hitch for me.

I think my favorite part of the book was how the different plot threads intersected and expanded as time went on. I'm going to try to articulate this, but not sure how well I'll succeed... Minor plot threads and Chekov's guns kept joining up with the major plots, and the conflict became this big, complicated, multi-layered thing. I felt like Meiville started by juggling three balls, then kept adding more and more until he was juggling like 10 different oddly-shaped flaming objects and I sat there on the edge of my seat, wondering how this was all going to end.

I also liked most of the characters, who were flawed and believable and (in my eyes) still sympathetic. I was just unhappy with the handling of Lin and Derkhan. I guessed that Lin was still alive, but I was irritated that, due to the nature of her plot, she was out of the picture for literally several hundred pages. Her and her relationship with Isaac was one of the things I loved about the book initially, and suddenly she's just gone. And the only female we're left with in the cast is Derkhan, who was interesting up until Ben died, and then I stopped liking her as a character. I couldn't really feel for her conflicts.

And to get Lin back for two minutes and then to have her reduced to this mentally-challenged child thing, who can't even make art anymore, just seemed an unnecessarily cruel ending for her and Isaac. I kept hoping that Isaac was going to put together a crisis engine that would help Yag fly AND somehow restore Lin. But I was really disappointed.

For the first 95% of this book, I was definitely in the "will re-read" camp. But after the ending, I'm not so sure. It's like how I feel about the Serenity movie.

I also notice that whenever I participate in the book study, I tend to fall into the "really loved it!" camp while other people come down really hard. Makes me wonder if I'm strange somehow... :Wha:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not according to all the other folks that loved whichever book we're discussing :)

Good points about Lin. Derkhan didn't add too much either, imo. I hope the author doesn't have all his female leads play such dwindling roles!

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
Not according to all the other folks that loved whichever book we're discussing :)

Good points about Lin. Derkhan didn't add too much either, imo. I hope the author doesn't have all his female leads play such dwindling roles!

Yeah...I got my hopes up because Lin and Isaac's relationship at the beginning seemed really interesting, and I thought the two were going to be equally the main characters. I don't see a lot of that in stories, where the MC's start out in a steady relationship, so I got all excited--and then Lin disappeared :(

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Yeah...I got my hopes up because Lin and Isaac's relationship at the beginning seemed really interesting, and I thought the two were going to be equally the main characters. I don't see a lot of that in stories, where the MC's start out in a steady relationship, so I got all excited--and then Lin disappeared :(

If something seems too good to be true, then it porbably is. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.