August Writing Prompt

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kidlit gang,

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Post your short story in the Children's SYW section, and title it "August Writing Prompt - [Title]". You have until August 31 to turn in your homework. The length is up to you. It can be a fully developed short story, or just one scene. The above-listed elements can be crucial to the plot, or not (but include all of them in some way). The point is to be creative, practice your skills, and have fun!

Can't wait to read your stories! In September, we'll have a new prompt, presented by another AWer.

:)Smish

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
P.S. When you post your prompts in SYW, please post a message here telling us you did so. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...

I start school on august 23. This year I will have almost 30 students, a mix of kindergarten and first grade. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about the 2 grades...but from now on, every time I feel the anxiety starting, I'm going to imagine that shark with a yard stick...

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my gosh, what fun!!!!

I couldn't resist the shark. I had a quiet morning today (for once) and the whole thing just popped into my head. I hope everybody enjoys it!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my gosh, what fun!!!!

I couldn't resist the shark. I had a quiet morning today (for once) and the whole thing just popped into my head. I hope everybody enjoys it!

Alanna B.

Um,yeah so... ok then.
Registered
Reaction score
I love these! We do this in our writers group every other week. :)

kdbeaar

Trying to finish at least 1 ms!
Registered
Reaction score
This year I will have almost 30 students, a mix of kindergarten and first grade.

This is SCARY! So many children, and a mix! My little one's going into 2nd grade this year, and I can't imagine what it would have been like for him in such big classrooms for his first two years. Do you at least have a student teacher, or an aide?

I don't know how you could even teach such a disparity; my boy went from reading at an 8th month Kindergarten level in the first month of 1st grade, to a 5th month 2nd grade level by the end of 1st grade. How do you teach to such a wide spectrum?

We may never see you again, Judy!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved your reponse to the prompt, Judy! And you were super-quick!

Can't wait to see everyone's responses! Go write. :D

(And yeah, I need to start writing one myself. Rulers and sharks... two elements that I don't believe I've ever incorporated into any of my stories before...).

Oh, yes we will. We'll hunt her down, if necessary. :evil

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
This is SCARY!
You got that right. I haven't taught kinder in 15 years...

Do you at least have a student teacher, or an aide?
Not so far. Cross your fingers... I had student teachers all last year, and I told the university I'd love to have them again this year, so I'm hoping. I should have some parent volunteers as well, but that's sort of unpredictable.

I don't know how you could even teach such a disparity; my boy went from reading at an 8th month Kindergarten level in the first month of 1st grade, to a 5th month 2nd grade level by the end of 1st grade. How do you teach to such a wide spectrum?
Well, I'm working on that. The good part is that there's a lot of overlap between the K and 1 curriculum, and most of the first-graders I'll have struggled in K and will benefit from doing the material over again. then the Ks go home and I have a smaller group to work with.

Yeah, wish me luck. I've been writing every day this summer, and I'm determined not to lose that momentum...but we'll see!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
That is a large group... you should definitely have an assistant. Don't know what the state laws are like there, but in MO you can't have that many primary kids in a class without another adult.

I posted my response to the August prompt in the wrong place in the children's SYW, but I've fixed it now so it's in its own thread.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just noticed that Alanna B. has posted a response in SYW, too. You guys are FAST.

It's been really interesting seeing all the different takes on the prompt. :D

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
That is a large group... you should definitely have an assistant. Don't know what the state laws are like there, but in MO you can't have that many primary kids in a class without another adult.

Yeah, well, in California kids are so low on the totem pole they're practically buried underneath it.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheila has posted a brilliant response in SYW, too! :D

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
I posted one also called School supplies. It was fun writing short story format.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Mine's going up in just a second, if I can keep my server up - don't know what the problem is!

Sorry, mine is really loooong. Guess I need to work on short stories a bit more often.

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I just posted something but now I realise it's not a back to school scene. It could be if the sharks return to their friends (is it a school of sharks?). Anyway, I had fun writing it and will read the rules more carefully next time.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! You guys did know you have until the end of the month, right? :rolleyes:

We've got some speedy (and talented!) writers in this group!

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
This is very much like that foodie show where they give you three odd ingredients (like mackeral, brown sugar and peas) and you compete by making the most scrumptious meal. Stumps me everytime, but I love to see what others come up with. You guys are amazing!

Last edited:

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is very much like that foodie show where they give you three odd ingredients (like mackeral, brown sugar and peas) and you compete by making the most scrumptious meal. Stumps me everytime, but I love to see what others come up with. You guys are amazing!

Chopped! I loved that show. :D

Did you see the one where they had to use Oreos and fish??

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and I was amazed that they pulled it off. I wished the other guy would have won, though. But I'm sure I never had chocolate cookie crumbles in my fish batter before. But, hey, you can't go wrong with chocolate.

I also didn't quite get the back-to-school scene - just alluded to it. Sorry if that makes me a cheater.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Um...Oreos and fish?

Excuse me. I need to go hurl. I mean, toss my cookies.

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Took me a night in Jed's pub to brainstorm but I've posted a story on Children's SYW. Hope I posted in the right spot and hope you all enjoy! ;)