Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
Margarita Skies
Banned

Margarita Skies is a glorious beacon of lightMargarita Skies is a glorious beacon of light
"DNS Server Is Not Responding", "DNS Server Doesn't Exist".

Royal pain in the derriere.

I don't know what the heck the DNS server is. It's so difficult for me to connect to the internet because of that. Today I spent the whole day, from like 9:45 AM trying to connect and I didn't connect till today around 8:13 PM. It kept giving me the same message, "DNS Server is not responding" and then on the "detailed information" link it would tell me, "Your computer is trying to connect to a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn't exist." I'd been using DSL since 2003 and I'd never had that problem before. It started when I got my new laptop back in Jan 3, 2010, but in the beginning it would only happen every once in a while. I would restart the modem and restart the computer. Problem solved. Now, it happens all the time. I spend the whole day trying to connect and fail. Has this ever happened to any of you before? Thanks for your help in advance. You guys know how awesome you are.

Love
Magali.
Margarita Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You probably need to update the drivers for your modem -- and the firmware, usually.

What is the name of the program you use to get on the net? Not the browser, like Internet Explorer, but the part that shows lights, etc when you are connected?

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #3
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like the problem I'm having with my laptop.

But updating drivers isn't possible if your computer refuses to connect to the internet at all.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Magali

Call your service provider. They should be providing DNS resolution for you.

DNS, the 60 second version -

Remember Ernestine the Switchboard Operator, from Laugh In? Ever heard of a telephone cross directory?

That's what DNS does. You enter in a website address and DNS knows the location for it, and goes and gets it for you.

You see, things that connect to the internet get an address (IP, or internet protocol address.) -- Your computer, my phone, that website, that email server... that online video camera...

DNS servers keep track of those numbers and the names they relate to. Then they regularly tell each other what addresses they know, and keep track of what the other DNS servers know.

When the DNS server that provides this information to your machine dies, gets balky, or loses it's mind, you can get those errors.

Also, when the website you are trying to find stops telling ITS DNS server what its address is, that DNS server takes it off the list and stops telling the world about it. Eventually, the world can't find that website anymore.

Make sense?

Williebee -- Who frantically rebuilt a dead DNS server last week. grrrrr

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post

But updating drivers isn't possible if your computer refuses to connect to the internet at all.
Yeah, I had to find my Sierra Wireless stuff from a different computer and use a flash drive.

They weren't real DNS errors, btw. It was wonky firmware. It depends on how your PC gets its IP address, too.

Basically, I could get on fine after a reboot. That was a hint to try the software route, imho.

But of course it could be one of many things, as usual with these things!

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Collectonian
Inclined to eclectic eccentricity

Collectonian has a spectacular aura
You could also switch to OpenDNS...I was having a lot of DNS issues on my cable modem until I did that. It is free and generally more up to date and has a better uptime than some of the ISP ones.
Collectonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Margarita Skies
Banned

Margarita Skies is a glorious beacon of lightMargarita Skies is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
You probably need to update the drivers for your modem -- and the firmware, usually.

What is the name of the program you use to get on the net? Not the browser, like Internet Explorer, but the part that shows lights, etc when you are connected?
I am not able to connect to the net at all sometimes, and sometimes when I'm on a website and I click on a link...BOOM! The modem turns off by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post

Word. Give that girl a point. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one going through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Magali

Call your service provider. They should be providing DNS resolution for you.

DNS, the 60 second version -

Remember Ernestine the Switchboard Operator, from Laugh In? Ever heard of a telephone cross directory?

That's what DNS does. You enter in a website address and DNS knows the location for it, and goes and gets it for you.

You see, things that connect to the internet get an address (IP, or internet protocol address.) -- Your computer, my phone, that website, that email server... that online video camera...

DNS servers keep track of those numbers and the names they relate to. Then they regularly tell each other what addresses they know, and keep track of what the other DNS servers know.

When the DNS server that provides this information to your machine dies, gets balky, or loses it's mind, you can get those errors.

Also, when the website you are trying to find stops telling ITS DNS server what its address is, that DNS server takes it off the list and stops telling the world about it. Eventually, the world can't find that website anymore.

Make sense?

Williebee -- Who frantically rebuilt a dead DNS server last week. grrrrr
I knew nothing about this. Thank you so much. I know so much about DNS now. You've been a great help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
Yeah, I had to find my Sierra Wireless stuff from a different computer and use a flash drive.

They weren't real DNS errors, btw. It was wonky firmware. It depends on how your PC gets its IP address, too.

Basically, I could get on fine after a reboot. That was a hint to try the software route, imho.

But of course it could be one of many things, as usual with these things!
Thanks for sharing your personal experience!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collectonian View Post
You could also switch to OpenDNS...I was having a lot of DNS issues on my cable modem until I did that. It is free and generally more up to date and has a better uptime than some of the ISP ones.
Is that software or hardware? I'm going to look it up and then come back and tell you how it went. Wish me luck.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
Matera the Mad
And God said, "Let there be Linux!"

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OpenDNS
Software, yes. Of course you have to get connected first.... Best to bug your service provider first. That's what you're paying them for.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A number of cable modems require that you hand-enter at least two DNS addresses (IP numbers) from your ISP.

In other words, call the ISP.

It's possible as well that you have an ailing modem.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"ailing modem" Medi - is that what that guy in your avatar has going on?

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
petec
Lurking

petec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputation

Not helpful to OP
petec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
petec
Lurking

petec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputationpetec has a double-platinum reputation

Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #13
Margarita Skies
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matera the Mad View Post
OpenDNS
Software, yes. Of course you have to get connected first.... Best to bug your service provider first. That's what you're paying them for.
Thank you for the link! I am going to try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
A number of cable modems require that you hand-enter at least two DNS addresses (IP numbers) from your ISP.

In other words, call the ISP.

It's possible as well that you have an ailing modem.

Yes, everyone that I tell about the problem tells me that my modem might be sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
"ailing modem" Medi - is that what that guy in your avatar has going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec View Post

Not helpful to OP
?

Quote:

Ban who, me? What did I do wrong?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
petec
Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec

Not helpful to OP

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petec

Sorry sorry all.

Posted in the wrong place.

Wrong message board even.

Too many tabs open at one time!!

Pete
Old 08-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
Margarita Skies
Banned

Quote:
Sorry sorry all.

Posted in the wrong place.

Wrong message board even.

Too many tabs open at one time!!

Pete

Oh, ok. When I saw your replies I got scared for a minute there because the last thing I wanted to do was to offend anyone.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Margarita Skies
Banned

I am using OpenDNS now! Thanks, guys!!
Old 08-15-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you got the modem from your ISP, they should replace it if it is in fact the problem.

Cable modems are being improved rapidly, still, so one that's two years old is already out of date. Sometimes the cable company improves the bandwidth, and an older modem can't cope.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
petec
Lurking

Brilliant!

I am so pleased for you.Maybe you should now go to your router admin console (http://192.168.1.1) and record all the details. If you do not know user name and password, this may help,
Old 08-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #19
Margarita Skies
Banned

Quote:
Brilliant!

I am so pleased for you.Maybe you should now go to your router admin console (http://192.168.1.1) and record all the details. If you do not know user name and password, this may help,

I am only going to use it for 1 day because I am leaving for Florida tomorrow night and by tomorrow morning my computer will be packed up so today I got to do the most words I possibly can.