Agent rejection letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Okay, so here's the thing. I had an agent respond that he/she sent ten pages of my manuscript to three publishers. It's odd that the first chapter is nine pages and the agent added one more page for good luck. Of course, the agent said that the manuscript (according to the publisher)needed more work. Imagine, all this and working without contract...sounds like a scam to me.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did your agent share which publishers saw the ten pages? Did you check the agent's credentials here and/or at Preditors and Editors? Will you share his or her name and a link to the website of the agent or agency?

Maryn, knowing we need more information

JRVogt

takin' the world by storm...one raindrop at a time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JRVogt.com
She added a page? As in, she wrote more of it or added a cover letter? And did she ask for permission? Were these pages ones you queried the agent with? What agency is this?

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
No, the agent was not specific on what publishers. The agent claimed three of them.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The additional page was from chapter two, which has me believing that none was sent at all. I have been sending out one query at a time but stopped doing that as it could take forever and a day.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The agent requested the entire ms after waiting months after query. I was told by a best selling author that no publisher submissions are made before a contract.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The agent requested the entire ms after waiting months after query. I was told by a best selling author that no publisher submissions are made before a contract.

There are a few agents who work without a contract. Have you checked this agent out at any of the regular places? Agentquery or querytracker, for instance? Or here? (Also, is the work in English? Is the agent in the US?)

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... seems like the agent wants to be sure they can sell you're ms before signing you and actually have a deal going. That's crazy to me, because for one thing if they decide not to rep you after several pitches to publishers you're stuck with an ms that's already been shopped, and that lowers it's value and will make future agents hesitant to sign you. If I were you I'd say later to this agent, pronto.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I already responded to the agent that I was not interested. The fact that the agent only sent ten pages and did't stop at the end of chapter one (nine pages) makes me believe that nothing was sent and the agent just wanted an editing fee. I appreciate any input from fellow authors. I taught creative writing for more than twenty years and this novel has been professionally edited. I am quickly finding out that it is had to tell the legitimate agent from those who just want my money.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I am quickly finding out that it is had to tell the legitimate agent from those who just want my money.

It's not hard to tell the difference. The ones who want money are not legitimate.

Check out this list of 20 agents and see if your agent is on it. These are not all the bad agents, just the most notorious.

Last edited:

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
And the illegits prey on desperate-to-be-published authors, also, so keep your feet on the ground and do your homework, as it seems you're doing, and you'll be just fine.

Check out each agency/agent you query, whether here, at QueryTracker, AgentQuery, Preditors and Editors, etc.

Good luck!

Em

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I was told that it is a "young man's game". I am 77 years young and somewhat new to the electronic social networking world but all this seems to be a great help.

Inkblot

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I was told that it is a "young man's game". I am 77 years young and somewhat new to the electronic social networking world but all this seems to be a great help.

Welcome to the "electronic social networking world"! And good luck on your writing endeavors!

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I am having a website developed and I opened a Facebook account. I don't know how to develop friends on Facebook as yet but I'll keep trying. Meanwhile, I will try to have you fellow author's assist me with this very trying endeavor. Please don't get bored with me as I post the unusual and sometimes frustrating responses. Sharing them with you may help someone.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perno - just a heads up.... You know the first time you open your facebook account there's a message that pops up and says "You Have No Friends" ? This isn't a character note - it's just an invitation to add some names...

(I didn't realise that and I found it such frankly shattering news that I never went back to facebook - EVER. AGAIN.)

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I have no family so I guess I will have to locate friends some other way. I would prefer to network with people who are trying to get published, that way we would have something in common to share. I wish I would have known about this site long ago. I got my list of agents from the LMP but they all say the same thing as to what they represent.

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Welcome Perno!

I'm so glad you told that agent you were not interested, especially when reading your later response that you believe they just wanted an editing fee.

A tip for you: an agent never ask for money up front, they make money from the sales of your book.

Go to http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/ and check out agents and publishers. This site is very user friendly.

Also, a good resource for researching agents: http://www.querytracker.net/ It's free and a great resource.

I'm on Facebook too and would love to be friends!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I already responded to the agent that I was not interested. The fact that the agent only sent ten pages and did't stop at the end of chapter one (nine pages) makes me believe that nothing was sent and the agent just wanted an editing fee. I appreciate any input from fellow authors. I taught creative writing for more than twenty years and this novel has been professionally edited. I am quickly finding out that it is had to tell the legitimate agent from those who just want my money.

It's easy to tell a good agent from a scam agent. Any agent who asks for money upfront is a scam. If the agent asked for an editing fee, you found a scam agent. Never pay an agent to do anything. Her monet should always come from making a sale.

But that "professional editing" fee was also most likely a scam, as well.

There's nothing unusual about sending the first page of the next chapter. From my experience, sending the first page of the next chapter is a good thing. And many agents work without a contract. This is, in fact, the only kind of agent I use.

The other warning for this agent is that she should not only tell you which publishers she submitted your work to, she should always forward the actual rejections from the editors.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score

see, here is where it is important to give as much detail as you can.....you started by asking if it was odd the agent shopped an off number of pages, without any contract. You did not mention:

1. If you checked the agent out here or elsewhere (you were asked several times, even)

2. Where the agent shopped them to (you did reply with that info)

3. That they are a fee-charging service.

Any of those would have been red flags and we could have said more, sooner. #3 is arguably the mother of all red flags, though--if they are charging editing fees and they seem to be "almost able to sell your script", but not quite, you need to run, far and fast

Last edited:

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
No, I. Did not check out the agent on any site...my mistake. I thought that the LMP only listed legitimate agents. The agent did not say what publishers the ten pages were sent to. The Aaland agency was the agency.

Last edited:

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I've opened today's responses (6) all but one was the standard NOT FOR ME better luck elsewhere. The last one has me really upset. Why can't they just say NO without editorizing? I'll post the resonse as soon as I calmm down.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The Aaland agency was the agency.

They're the first one on the list of bad agents I linked to. Starting an agency name with two a's cuts both ways. You draw in more writers that way, but you also float to the top on any alphabetical list of scammers.

Perno morris

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I know all of you have had dozens, if not hundreds, of rejection letters from agents, but I thought I would share this one with you. This did raise my blood pressure because of how insane it is. "Dear Mr. Morris, Your manuscript is 100,000 thousand words. A first time author should not write more then 65 to75 thousand words." This is insane! I can just read the letter to James Mitchener...Dear Mr. Mitchener, your novel South Pacific is too long...better luck elsewhere. Wheredo they come from???

Status
Not open for further replies.