Critique Circle #3 (Pacific Time Zone - Australia, New Zealand, Asia Pacific) - Thu 7 APR 9:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hello all,

I was wondering how much interest the folks of the aforementioned countries would have in forming a critique group, like the European and North American ones. We'd follow the same basic format, with one person submitting a work of no more than 5000 words at the start of the month. During the month, everyone will read it, write down comments, and we will congregate in Chat to provide feedback to the author. Because I'm a fan of not reinventing the wheel, we'll scrounge off the other groups formats, with 1-1.5 hours of comments, and then half an hour for the author to respond. Or we could change that up as if goes - this is all just a starting point. (It also appears to have worked for the other groups - always a good sign :) )

Depending on interest and numbers, we'll either do this once a month, or twice. Everyone involved has to be willing to share their email addresses with me, and everyone else in the group, as you will get to forward any comments/critiques onto the author that you didn't get time to discuss in Chat. This will be done via email.

As for the time, I am open to suggestions, but I can't do anything earlier than 8pm EST Australia. I'm up for any time later than that though. I have noticed a few people around based in china and japan, and they are only 3 and 2 hrs behind respectively, with NZ being two hours ahead of me, so hopefully if there is an interest from all those countries, we should be able to find a time applicable, if not perfect, to most whom wish to participate.

So if you have an interest, please leave a comment, and/or pm me with a time/day you'd prefer. I'm leaning towards Friday - is there any major problems with that? Weekend evenings are also applicable. I'd be looking for at least five other people before starting a group. I will be making lists of interested members (don't leave your emails in the comments - we can sort that with PM after I've figured out how many are interested) so please make sure to put your hand up within the next two weeks if you're interested in participating.

Thanks all,

Sian

Last edited:

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
Sian, I'll submit an initial interest. I'll try to learn more about how the other Circles work before making a final decision.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Sentosa, this is what I know about how the others work (or at the very least the European one)

The author introduces themselves, and their piece, with a few words. Everyone has received that piece beforehand, and have already prepared their critiques prior to the chat meeting. We work down the list of people in the chat room.

First time round, each critiquer goes through two main points from their critique. The author thanks that person, and we move onto the next critiquer. This continues, with two main points about the piece from each person. After the last person has presented their points, there is a chance for the author to ask for clarification. Not for the author to explain/defend, but to ask questions if there was any confusion about the points brought up by the critiquers.

Then we have a five minute break, and return to go through the same process, except this time, each person only gets to present the author with one point from their critique.

At the end, the author is again allowed time to ask for clarification on any points.

And then everyone emails their critiques to me, I make copies of the chat room conversation, and everyone in the group gets a copy of both the chat room conversation, and the critiques. We then repeat the process for the next person, in two weeks or a month, depending on how frequently we decide to do this.

Hope that clarifies,

Sian

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
I am glad the success of the first and second circle have driven you, sianshan, to make a third one! We sure need as many circles as we can get to have all AWers together :) I hope you get more and more members. Good Luck!

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in joining in on this, it sounds like it could be very constructive for all participants.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sianshan! I see you also posted in the International District - awesome move, btw.

Taking part in Euro Crit has been a wealth of info for me and so much fun! (Impossible not to mention that.)

If anyone is interested, you should post or contact Sianshan. Participating in these crits are really worth the time and effort.
Best of luck! :)

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Debbie. Btw, the lovely Portuguese mod SaraP has graciously agreed to sit in/participate, at least the first couple of times, maybe longer - if her time zone coincides. So thank you Sara. :)

You should come just for the sparkles she throws around everywhere :)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

I don't give out sparkles just for anyone, you know. ;)

I have to say though, I really love the crit circles. They've been a wonderful source of information and inspiration for me. Being in the hot seat is a wonderful way to get great feedback on your writing, and critting others is a great learning tool.

I'd be more than glad to hop on board and cling to you guys. :)

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Oh gosh, not Sara! Getting my fill of SaraP sparkles in the Horror section.
*Don't step in that*
J/k SaraP - big hugs.

Yes, you're stuck w/me for the first few crits, SUCKER!! Sianshan.
Hopefully my alarm wont bust when I hit it at 3am-ish.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
I should really hit 'refresh' before I post.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Debbie. I appreciate it, and totally understand if you do decide not to appear when it's a 3am. Totally understandable.

Still two weeks to go before I decide whether or not this will be viable :) Plenty of time. Thanks all for the moment.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
I pm'd you Sianshan.
Gotta get. The Walking Dead is coming on. Muahahahahaa
Y'all have a good one.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I'm interested, though I normally critique off-line. Fridays are generally doable.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
5 expressions of interest, two maybe! (some were to me personally) You know what that means?

That means with have a group. Still waiting for the two weeks, but this is now officially viable in my eyes.

So, Friday seems to be the day. Any complaints with that?

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Debbie. Btw, the lovely Portuguese mod SaraP has graciously agreed to sit in/participate, at least the first couple of times, maybe longer - if her time zone coincides. So thank you Sara. :)

You should come just for the sparkles she throws around everywhere :)

Not Sara--no one's taking her away from the European Crits.

Sian--great to see you doing this. I'm in the middle of Europe and Asia Pacific, but these days hardly make time for the European Crit. I'd encourage the max no. of people of join. The crits are a great learning tool as well as for making friends...ask Deb. (Hi Debbie, been missing you.)
Best of luck, and who knows one day I might join in, or just walk into see what is happening, if you allow.

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not Sara--no one's taking her away from the European Crits.

Sian--great to see you doing this. I'm in the middle of Europe and Asia Pacific, but these days hardly make time for the European Crit. I'd encourage the max no. of people of join. The crits are a great learning tool as well as for making friends...ask Deb. (Hi Debbie, been missing you.)
Best of luck, and who knows one day I might join in, or just walk into see what is happening, if you allow.

She's only sticking around the first couple of weeks, to make sure I don't trip over my own feet. We'll give her back. :D

Also, it should be noted that if someone wants to join in that is in Europe - our time zone doesn't work too bad with yours. 8pm here means 9am where you are. So you're welcome if you feel the need for more than one crit circle.

Just saying. Although I got another yes today, so things are looking good :)

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, and while I'm here - I'm closing the call for members on the 10th. After that, I'll be after email addresses and then we'll start with the preparation.

Thanks to the encouragement from everyone, and the people who have put their hands up. I'm already having fun :D

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
Also, it should be noted that if someone wants to join in that is in Europe - our time zone doesn't work too bad with yours. 8pm here means 9am where you are.

Maybe not quite right. Remember, in summer there is a 3 hour difference between east and west; in winter 2 hours; with some differences in NT and SA (I think :D)

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ahh, yes, I should clarify.

EST Aus works out 11 hrs ahead of the time in Portugal and England. I did ad hoc calculations. Just ignore that bit :D

Thanks Sentosa.

Just a wee bit embarrassed now. :p

_Sian_

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, first week is up. I'm going on the hunt for email addressers now, so if you get a PM from me, you'll know what it's about :)

Still one week to go before we start finalising dates and times.

Enjoy,

Sian

Status
Not open for further replies.