divy

rhymes with ivy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
littlelambsydivy.blogspot.com
Is this where we post threads to share books we thought were great? :D

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0887842348/

This book was recommended to me by a friend, mainly because it takes place in the neighbourhood where I grew up (the Parkdale area of west Toronto). The amazon/back of the cover blurbs make it sound like a pretty standard gen Y coming of age novel, but it's a lot more than that. She tells the story in alternating 1st person POV, and she really nails each character's voice. The plot is much more about their individual lives, and their lives as a group, than it is about the social or political climate.

The story is structured in four parts, each one starting with a short, 3rd omniscient section that deals with an emergency or accident (one of the characters is a paramedic, so these bits are relevant, though they don't directly tie into the main plot, and they don't feature the main characters, but mostly background paramedic characters).

I'm no good at book reviews (obviously ;)) but this one had an impact on me, and I wanted to share in case anyone might find it interesting. (or, in case anyone has read it and wants to discuss. bit of a long shot, but who knows?)