Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #251
Kateness
practical experience, FTW

Kateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two hours to go
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #252
Kateness

Kateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
one hour....anything on the docket yet?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #253
circlexranch
Terri Coop has been known to write

circlexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to behold
Nothing yet, 28 minutes to midnight.

I'll be on it first thing in the morning peeps!

Now, the judge doesn't give out an automatic win or anything if it is filed late, but it is so uncouth and shows that this game is just about over.

The Blog Coop (keeps them safe and from wandering around)

"Why I Fear Clowns" A journey along the CCC (creepy clown continum).

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.
circlexranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #254
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can't wait for the update.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #255
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oooh, the tension!

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #256
Kateness

To be fair, the attorney could be leaving it to the last possible second for whatever reason and so the filing goes through just past midnight.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #257
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthoodDreamWeaver is a candidate for sainthood
...and?

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #258
circlexranch

circlexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to behold
No filing . . . .

The big blink . . .

Not even an "oh yeah, well just give me the chance to go to trial and I'll show you . . ."

I'll be monitoring it through the day, but methinks the next document will be a dismissal.

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #259
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So does that mean the case is over, kaput, DOA, everyone packs up and goes home?

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #260
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nothing like big drama that ends with a sighing whimper.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #261
circlexranch

No, it ain't over until the judge says so, but this is a curious development. I will monitor and report!

I, too, am disappointed. I wanted to see the flummoxery in the response.

Can you imagine PA if something had come of this!

"Publish America - where the big boys come to steal their ideas. We may want your money, but they want your book!"

"Buy 5 copies and we will send 5 copies to big name authors for them to plagiarize!"

Waiting . . . waiting . . .

Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #262
darkprincealain
Domestic extremist

darkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for President
Flummoxery ... flummoxery. I like it!

Can't wait to hear what happens next in this case!
darkprincealain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 AM   #263
Kateness

Damn. I haz a sad. I was really looking forward to this (the last of a pile of recent legal sadz) *sigh*
Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #264
circlexranch

And . . . not filed . . .

Unbelievable to blow off a response brief. Even if they were in dismissal negotiations, you'd ask for an continuance.

What happens now is the court considers the motion as it was framed by S&S and King. The facts in the motion may now be deemed admitted as they were not contested by the plaintiff.

It still has to pass legal muster, the court could, on its own, choose to deny. However, I doubt it . .

Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #265
HistorySleuth

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And the saga continues. Tune in next week for another exciting episode of S&S and King!

On Amazon.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #266
Kateness

That's just bizarre. I can imagine blowing the deadline by a couple hours, and file at 3am.

But not to file anything at all? Not even another extension request?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #267
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Can King and S&S counter sue for damages plus attorney fee's? You know, sort of as a warning to others...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:01 PM   #268
pangalactic
Gargling blasters

pangalactic has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
Can King and S&S counter sue for damages plus attorney fee's? You know, sort of as a warning to others...
I'm also interested to know that. Don't waste our frikkin' time.

http://www.chrisbissette.com
I'm writing a story a day for a year. Come say hello!

@pangalactic
pangalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #269
circlexranch

The first job of the attorneys is to get the case dismissed. Then, if Ms. McNamara feels it is in her clients' best interest, she will file a motion for fees for a frivolous suit.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:04 AM   #270
Little1
Hakuna Matata

Little1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
ohhhhh this is getting fun!!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:09 AM   #271
Kateness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little1 View Post
ohhhhh this is getting fun!!
No, now it's getting boring.

Fun would have been the reply brief.

Now it's probably just going to get dismissed.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #272
Alexandra Little
What a desolation.

Alexandra Little is a splendid one to beholdAlexandra Little is a splendid one to beholdAlexandra Little is a splendid one to behold
Aww, I was hoping to see the brief, now I'm a bit sad...

The Obligatory Twitter.
Alexandra Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #273
HistorySleuth

Even if it's dismissed won't the judge have to say something about it in his ruling? That might be interesting reading. The difference here is King's publisher would back him up. If they go after the author for fees, PA will just say sucks to be you.

On Amazon.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #274
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlexranch View Post
Unbelievable to blow off a response brief. Even if they were in dismissal negotiations, you'd ask for an continuance.
Seems to me it could be further demonstration of the lack of professionalism of the lawyer who agreed to file this absurd-on-its-face complaint in the first place. Could sanctions apply in a situation like this?

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #275
circlexranch

Not sanctions in the Rule 11 sense. Howeveh, I would be curious to know if his client knows about this failure to file.

Even if the client owes his lawyer big buckaroos, it is unexcusable to blow off a filing deadline. The word that comes to mind starts with an "m". But, that's is all I can say without knowing the full story.