Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #151
Alphabeter
Player of the Letters

Alphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolnessAlphabeter leaves trails of profuse coolness
However one might feel about the true origins of Dan Brown's "work", he has not had to pay anything out-of-pocket for the claims against him. His publishers assumed the risk and in at least one case, the plaintiffs were required to pay all the legal costs of both sides.

Were that a book PA printed accused of being plagiarized, PA would dump the book and leave all responsibility and cost on the author, no matter what their contract said. It would cost the author more to get PA to stand up.

However, if the author successfully defended themselves and even got a monetary award, PA would probably try to take a big financial piece as well as crow that 'their' legal team is great--just like PA!

My hands hurt just typing that malarky.

Writing is a lot like sex.
At first you do it because you like it.
Then you find yourself doing it for a few close friends and people you like.
But if you're any good at all...you end up doing it for money.

Alphabeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #152
circlexranch
Terri Coop has been known to write

circlexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to behold
Here is a link to the CV of one of the attorneys who has joined the fray for King and S&S:

Elizabeth McNamara

Definitely a Top Gun.

The Blog Coop (keeps them safe and from wandering around)

"Why I Fear Clowns" A journey along the CCC (creepy clown continum).

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.
circlexranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 AM   #153
pangalactic
Gargling blasters

pangalactic has a spectacular aura
That's one impressive CV. Gonna need more popcorn.
pangalactic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:02 AM   #154
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
EM has a very impressive portfolio...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #155
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is probably a stupid question, but I am nothing remotely resembling a lawyer, so.... Is it possible/likely that the judge will find this is a "nuisance" case and will biff it and make the PA author pay all costs, including those for King's high-flying lawyers?
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #156
circlexranch

circlexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to behold
That is a toughie. I won my copyright case (someone claimed I had infringed on them). It took 6 grueling years. The other side was frivolous and incompetent. Their claims were on a par with the ones against King.

1. I pointed out all the flaws and asked to dismiss. The judge let them correct the flaws.

2. I pointed out all the remaining flaws and asked the judge to dismiss. The judge gave them more time to correct their flaws.

3. I moved for summary judgment and won.

4. They filed a motion for reconsideration and lost.

5. I filed a motion for attorney's fees and lost. The rationale? In so many words, the judge's ruling boiled down to, "well, they thought their claim had merit and incompetent doesn't necessarily equal evil."

Cost awards in copyright cases are 100% within the judge's discretion.

I don't think any judge in the world would rule in plaintiff's favor and my guess is this will be dismissed on jurisdictional or other technical grounds. However, the judge is also likely to find that defending against this sort of thing is a cost of doing business if you are Stephen King or S&S.

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #157
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for that informative answer, CXR!
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #158
circlexranch

The King/S&S legal team is opening up with both barrels. They asked and received permission to file a brief in excess of the 25-page limit. It looks like they are going to sidestep the jurisdictional issue and go straight for a Rule 12 dismissal (more about that when they actually file the brief).

It should be a juicy document.

Here is the motion, it gives a nice overview of what we can expect in the next 30 days or so.

King - S&S Motion to Exceed Page Limit

Make some fresh popcorn, the new battle for Atlanta is about to start!

Terri

Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #159
Shrouded
Ne tequcesiverius extra

Shrouded is on a distinguished road
I tried to get a peek at the motion and got this instead;
"Sorry, we are unable to retrieve the document for viewing or you don't have permission to view the document."

That was a quick supression.
Shrouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #160
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got the same. I wonder if this means any final agreements/verdicts will be sealed?

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #161
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
It might be a permissions thing, but IE is reporting a JavaScript error and Chrome reports a timeout.

Last edited by JulieB; 02-15-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Better info...I think.
JulieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #162
circlexranch

BLARG! No, it's me being an idiot thing who can't use Google docs correctly. I'm at work now, so I can't fix it. I will do so tomorrow when I'm at my home office puter.

Terri

Old 02-16-2011, 05:41 AM   #163
AnneMarble
Nefarious Ghost Fan

AnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnneMarble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by circlexranch View Post
BLARG! No, it's me being an idiot thing who can't use Google docs correctly. I'm at work now, so I can't fix it. I will do so tomorrow when I'm at my home office puter.

Terri
Oh, good. I thought I had forgotten my Google password again.

This should be very very interesting... Hurray for Stephen King and his attorneys.
Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC
AnneMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #164
Little1
Hakuna Matata

Little1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, this is getting good GO S&S and Steven King!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #165
circlexranch

Okay, let's see how many lawyers it takes to post a brief on the interwebz . . .

King - SOS Motion to Exceed Page Limit

I had forgotten to make it a public doc . . . DOH!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #166
Kateness
practical experience, FTW

Kateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool, thanks!

Since I started working at a law firm, I'm always fascinated to read these sorts of things
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #167
circlexranch

Alrighty boys and girls, here is the motion to dismiss and the brief. I haven't read it thoroughly, but I think you can take it as a primer of copyright law and it should answer a lot of questions about what is and isn't infringement. No all that often you get to see work done by lawyers who don't get out of bed for less than a $10,000 retainer.

There are three docs:

1. The Motion to Dismiss - short and to the point

2. The Supporting Brief - long and to the point

3. A Backup doc about copies of the books filed with the court.

These are public documents. You can print them, copy them, blog them, post them, do anything your heart desires with them. All I did was copy out of the court system and post in a more accessible and free-of-charge format.

More on the implications of a Rule 12(b)(6) motion later.

Terri

Old 02-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #168
Kateness

Kateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKateness is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Woot, thanks!

These are all on ECF? Or is district court down there on Lexis?

Last edited by Kateness; 02-20-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Kateness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #169
circlexranch

This is from the ECF feed from the Northern District of Georgia.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #170
circlexranch

Page 4 of the brief:

On December 6, 2010, nearly three years after Duma Key was originally
published, Marquardt filed this Complaint for copyright infringement, alleging that
Duma Key infringed the copyright in his self-published book, Keller’s Den. (emphasis added)

Yee-ouch!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 AM   #171
Kateness

Hah! PA would love to see that
Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 AM   #172
Kateness

Also, does this mean that King's attorneys had to suffer through a PA book?

[or got some first-year associate to read it and summarize?]
Old 02-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #173
circlexranch

Page 13, footnote 4:

Other than the conclusory allegation that his work was and is for sale in various venues, Plaintiff pleads no facts to support a finding of actual access or of widespread distribution to presume access. (Cplt 9.) Nonetheless, should the Court deny this motion in any part, access will be fiercely contested, as Stephen King never heard of Rod Marquardt or Rod Morgan until he read about the commencement of this lawsuit in a trade publication, and, to this date, has never seen the Plaintiff’s book.

I'm surprised they found a copy in order to compare it to King's book. Imagine you found out you'd been sued in a trade publication. Did the other attorney even properly serve the summons?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:35 AM   #174
circlexranch

Awesome legal quote:

"At bottom, this lawsuit is a classic example of “that obsessive conviction, so
frequent among authors and composers, that all similarities between their works
and any others which appear later must inevitably be ascribed to plagiarism.”
Dellar v. Samuel Goldwyn, Inc., 150 F.2d 612, 613 (2d Cir. 1945)."

Because nobody else can have an idea! All the ideas are mine, mine, mine!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #175
Kateness

Well, shouldn't there be a certificate of service along with the summons?