Angry Robot (The Waiting Club.. fingers crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
What are you complaining about IRU? I just spent the whole freaking day replacing italics with underlining yesterday - only to find out I have to go back and undo it all. lol!

*headdesk*

Um, you know that most word processing programs have a global format replacing option, right? You can even do it by individual occurrence if you use both types of formatting in your mss.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What are you complaining about IRU? I just spent the whole freaking day replacing italics with underlining yesterday - only to find out I have to go back and undo it all. lol!

*headdesk*

Back to the long synopsis theory now too.

Seun- got any of that lager to share?:)

Seeing as that ban hasn't kicked in yet- I have never underlined anyuthing that needed to be italicised. Thta's a holdover from your actual 'man sets type' printing, which I think is pretty rare these days...(it helped him see where it should be cos it stands out more)

In these days of e-everything, (and as stated above you can just search fro italicised) it makes no mind, so you might as well write it as it would appear on the printed page. (iirc, imo, personal preferences excepted, always follow the guidelines etc etc)

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
Um, you know that most word processing programs have a global format replacing option, right? You can even do it by individual occurrence if you use both types of formatting in your mss.

Yeah, well seeing as the last time I used 'find and replace' on the dodgy non commerical word 7 I have on this computer it found and replace the letters within unrelated words - I'll stick to manual. lol!

You have no idea what sorting that out was like.

I'm one of those people--you know the ones that can screw anything up on a computer--so I try not to court disaster these days. ;)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
One of the many reasons I love Scrivener - you can write how you like, then change the formatting when you export it. It has italics->underline, smart quotes->straight quotes and so on built in. I use Optima (a Mac font) in Scrivener, because I find it clear and easy to read on-screen, and then change it to either Courier or Times when I compile the draft.

The Windows version is still in beta and a bit erratic, apparently, but no Mac-using novelist should be without it, IMHO.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
Is this the same 'Angry Robot' that made that TV program?

I can't remember which one it is but I'm sure I've seen an 'Angry Robot' ident after a TV show on DVD.
(Was it Firefly?)
Ha, my husband just asked this same thing. To which I replied, "NO! You're thinking of the "Bad Robot"! You mixed up your robots!" and laughed.

And then he - an engineer who plays World of Warcraft constantly - called me a geek. Sad day.

Last edited:

Quantum1019

Registered
Reaction score
Sent mine this morning. I was dreading the synopsis, but it turns out I actually enjoyed writing it! Strange.

LunaFancy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm putting the final polish on mine - should be away this morning.:)

Quantam - You enjoyed synopsis writing? I think there might be medication available for that condition. :D

bohica

scribe to dark muses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroque.com
Sent mine over sometime after midnight.

And, uh... I kinda had fun with the character summary/synopsis too. Updated it from the cut and paste version, filled out a bit more per the requirements, and maybe it was sleep deprivation but... it didn't suck.

I'm evolving.

Monomaniac

(o)
Registered
Reaction score
What did you guys put in the body of your email?

bohica

scribe to dark muses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroque.com
I structured it like a query.

Dear Angry Robot Overlords,

I saw that you are currently accepting unsolicited manuscripts. I hope you will consider my 654,236 rural mermaid epic, WET IN WYOMING.

(logline, blurb)

Per your guidelines I've attached a brief summary, the first five chapters, and my firstborn child. Actually, thanks for taking him off my hands; he was shaping up to be a bloody disappointment, that one. Oh, and thanks for your time.

Curious if others did the same.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
They take first-born children? Damned, I missed a trick there!

Me too. My first born today informed me that he was the coolest person EVAH because Asgard was clearly named after him, and yes, naturally his soul had been in operation for several thousand years with the same name.

He also handed in a report to school about 'his favourite character in a book' and said 'me' (He makes cameos in my first two books :D)

/end derail

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
My cover email:

Dear Angry Robot

Please find attached the first five chapters of my horror novel THE RED GIRL as well as a plot summary, character breakdown and some information regarding my intentions and inspiration. The following is a brief summary of the book.

Brief summary.

Thank you for your time. I look forward very much to hearing from you.

Best regards

King Louie from The Jungle Book.*

This may or may not be true.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
So I noticed they have the fantasy and SF split up in the submissions, but I wonder, would it be okay to submit something SF that contains fantasy elements? I'm not sure how favorable they are to mixing genres.

BTW Seun, can I steal you coverletter template? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.