Agent Q&A - Michael Carr, Veritas Literary

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
And as an agent, if you request to see work when do you expect to get a reply before you are turned off by there slowness to respond or start to assume they aren't as prepared as they should be?

I'll give you five minutes. ;)

No, I'm not turned off, but in my case I don't believe in having a stack of unread manuscripts. I try to stay on top of my pile. So if you send me a full I'm likely to be reading it within a week, maybe even within an hour.

Alisha, if you're getting requests, keep sending them out. Even if you've got a manuscript that you believe is flawed, you might just get an agent to take a chance and sign you anyway, then guide you through what she thinks needs to happen to get it in shape.

I always advise you not to send out queries until your manuscript is 100% ready, but sending out after the fact is a gray area. Worst case scenario, you're cultivating a bunch of agents who will be excited to see your next book, even if they end up passing on this one.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a youtube of a skateboarder fall off the rail, hard, on his crotch? And you feel a literal, sympathetic pain for just a fraction of a second?

I felt a sympathetic pain in the writerly groin on your behalf.

:ROFL:

Sorry, not laughing at the situation, but with a 17 year old skateboarder stepson who has clips on youtube, this image really gave me a chuckle. The situation for rebmacrath is so not funny, but your analogy was priceless. I'm not a boy, but I watch these types of clips and see those falls and cringe. :)

Last edited:

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
A year ago I was referred to a top YA agent who after a few months said she would rep my book if I did some rewriting. After getting notes, I would rewrite within 2 weeks and then wait 3 to 4 months for a response but she was "the best" so I kept going until after almost a year she was happy and sent it on submission. She sent me the rejections, nine in all over the course of many months.. A few didn't like it, a few raved about the writing but it wasn't what they were looking for, a few more loved it but had a similar subject in the past that stiffed or it was too close to something coming out. My agent told me to keep the faith, she still believed and we just had to find the right editor.

So, I decided to send her the first 100 pages of the new book I was working on. She told me that it didn't grab her and that I needed an agent who was where she was five years ago. I took that to mean when she had more time to devote to an as yet unpublished writer. She also to call her in a month to see if she had anyone she could refer me to.

My question is: Is my first book now tainted, having been repped by her and rejected. I was thinking of querying another agent on the first book because I read he was interested in a ya novel with humor but when do I tell him that my book has been repped and rejected? I want to be ethical but I don't want to turn him off before he even reads if he likes the query.

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
A year ago Iwas referred to a top YA agent who after a few months said she would rep my book if I did some rewriting. After getting notes, I would rewrite within 2 weeks and then wait 3 to 4 months for a response but she was "the best" so I kept going until after almost a year she was happy and sent it on submission. She sent me the rejections, nine in all over the course of many months.. A few didn't like it, a few raved about the writing but it wasn't what they were looking for, a few more loved it but had a similar subject in the past that stiffed or it was too close to something coming out. My agent told me to keep the faith.

So, I decided to send her the first 100 pages of the new book I was working on. She told me that it didn't grab her and that I needed an agent who is where she was 5 years ago and to call her in a month to see if she had anyone she could refer me to.

My question is: Is my first book now tainted, having been repped by her and rejected. I was thinking of querying another agent on the first book because I read he was interested in a ya novel with humor but when do I tell him that my book has been repped and rejected? If he like my query to I let him read and form an opinion before I spill the beans?

I want to be ethical so aqny advice you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
Interactions with my new agent...

I have managed to secure representation for my first book, and I'm currently revising my manuscript with input from my agent. She did a really thorough job in the first round of edits, and although she asked for a lot more revisions than either of us expected, she gave me really terrific feedback, which in turn helped me improve the book. Round two feels very different. Although she felt I had done some good work, she seemed really annoyed that a couple of the concerns she raised in the first round persisted in the second. She didn't even mention some of the major changes I made to the book. I also find myself confused by some of her comments and flat-out disagreeing with others. Basically, I think she rushed this time around and is irritated that we're still revising. My question is, how honest can I be about my reactions to her read? I'm happy to make more revisions, but I'm bummed by the change in her tone and many of her comments don't make sense to me. Am I allowed to politely express any of this or is that a big no-no? Many thanks for all your great insights so far!

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
My question is: Is my first book now tainted, having been repped by her and rejected. I was thinking of querying another agent on the first book because I read he was interested in a ya novel with humor but when do I tell him that my book has been repped and rejected? If he like my query to I let him read and form an opinion before I spill the beans?

Sadly, yes, you're going to face a hard slog of it to get another agent on this same project for reasons I've explained earlier on this thread. I would concentrate on writing the next novel and revisit this later, when you're under contract with something else. It helps if you don't think of it a dead novel, but one waiting for the right conditions.

If you're serious about breaking in, you should be writing a new novel every year, and so hopefully you've got another project to focus on rather than obsessing with this one.

Easier said than done, I know.

rebmacrath

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what your take is on the Likability Factor. Some agents insist on having a hero/ine who's established at the get-go as a likable and cuddly person. Few of us want to spend very much time with any contemptible rotter. But the other extreme puts me off just as much: I mean, when lead characters have been pumped up with lovable traits like inflatable dolls. Do you relate as well, or even better, to decent but deeply flawed people who have landed in terrible trouble and find themselves fighting not just for their lives...but their very sense of themselves as worthy people?

Since you ask for just five pages to start with, I can believe that you might not object to an admirable character we need some time to grow to love.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I have managed to secure representation for my first book, and I'm currently revising my manuscript with input from my agent. She did a really thorough job in the first round of edits, and although she asked for a lot more revisions than either of us expected, she gave me really terrific feedback, which in turn helped me improve the book. Round two feels very different. Although she felt I had done some good work, she seemed really annoyed that a couple of the concerns she raised in the first round persisted in the second. She didn't even mention some of the major changes I made to the book. I also find myself confused by some of her comments and flat-out disagreeing with others. Basically, I think she rushed this time around and is irritated that we're still revising. My question is, how honest can I be about my reactions to her read? I'm happy to make more revisions, but I'm bummed by the change in her tone and many of her comments don't make sense to me. Am I allowed to politely express any of this or is that a big no-no? Many thanks for all your great insights so far!

I don't offer representation unless the manuscript is close enough to fix without major revisions, because sometimes a writer will do a half-hearted fix of the things that bothered me while managing to mess up a lot of the good stuff. I'm not saying that's what is happening here, but this is the perspective of an agent in this situation.

As for the tone, it would be impossible to judge that without knowing a lot more, and I don't want to do that here. It might be that some of the initial romantic stage has passed and you're entering a longer term working relationship. She might have seen her comments as being serious and critical, but if this is a different tone, I can see how you might find that an adjustment.

I would wait a few days, perhaps when you feel a little better, and then write a non-emotional letter that asks for clarifications on the main points.

For example:

* I thought I'd fixed the issue with Emily's motivation in chapter two, but you seem to still find it hard to believe she'd go to the tattoo parlor without talking to Pete first. Does the earlier phone message not work? Can you think of any ideas for setting this up better?

* I'm not sure I agree with your suggestion to eliminate the beggar on the street corner. I think he adds flavor to the scene and is worth the extra space. What if we compromised and I cut his interaction from three pages to one and make every word count? Would this resolve your concerns?

I'm guessing if you follow this pattern you'll prove that you're focused on making the story better, not arguing because you're stubborn, and you'll be back on track with your agent.

As an aside, it's important to understand how an agent's work can pile up. You can go from cruising along fine to suddenly having ten things needing your attention. Quick, direct emails, written as quickly as possible, can come across as curt or rude. I'm not saying agents are never curt or rude, but sometimes they're just overburdened at that moment.

Last edited:

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Since you ask for just five pages to start with, I can believe that you might not object to an admirable character we need some time to grow to love.

Oh, sure, I'm patient with a lot of things so far as the story is interesting enough.

This is not exactly what you're asking, but I do want my fiction to be moral fiction. Let me be clear, that's not fiction with a message. But I want my protagonists to be generally trying to do the right thing, warts and all, and I want an ending that brings order to the world.

The real world is frustrating and random. Good people suffer and bad people prosper. Things happen for no reason. Very often, there is no closure in real life. I want my fiction to have closure. If a character I love dies, I want it to mean something. I don't want the villains to win, not in the end.

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
Many, many thanks for you thoughtful and thorough response. It makes sense to keep the emotions out of my next correspondence. And I appreciate your insight regarding an agent's workload. It sounds like I'll have to avoid taking things too personally during this process -- that's almost as hard as the revisions!

Have a wonderful day and thanks again! Fae11

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I don't want the villains to win, not in the end.

What about villains whose short-term plans are thwarted, but they live to fight another day? I'm as loath to kill off a great villain in Book One as I am to kill a hero :)

Myself, I don't like too neat a HEA, with everyone getting paired off/their just deserts/whatever the genre classically requires. I guess I prefer a good tragedy, where flawed heroes achieve their aims but at a price higher than they ever expected - and it's their choice to pay that price. It's still closure, just darker.

Catharsis. That's what I'm aiming for.

Last edited:

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
What about villains whose short-term plans are thwarted, but they live to fight another day? I'm as loath to kill off a great villain in Book One as I am to kill a hero :)

Myself, I don't like too neat a HEA, with everyone getting paired off/their just deserts/whatever the genre classically requires. I guess I prefer a good tragedy, where flawed heroes achieve their aims but at a price higher than they ever expected - and it's their choice to pay that price. It's still closure, just darker.

Catharsis. That's what I'm aiming for.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Oscar Wilde: The good ended happily and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Can I revisit the pet peeves question? I think fifty percent of the queries I've seen in the last few days begin with either a description of the weather and/or a character waking up. Frequently, the character is also reaching for coffee or doing something else to slap herself into a wakeful state. If you think about it, you can see that these are external manifestations of the writer staring at a blank screen, trying to figure out how to start.

Your first sentence is the most important sentence in the book. I'm sure you'll agree that, "It was a cold, gray day in northern Iowa," is not sufficient to fill this role.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score

Or a hero who's a bit of a villain. :evil
Joe Abercrombie is a master at that.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Can I revisit the pet peeves question? I think fifty percent of the queries I've seen in the last few days begin with either a description of the weather and/or a character waking up. Frequently, the character is also reaching for coffee or doing something else to slap herself into a wakeful state. If you think about it, you can see that these are external manifestations of the writer staring at a blank screen, trying to figure out how to start.

Your first sentence is the most important sentence in the book. I'm sure you'll agree that, "It was a cold, gray day in northern Iowa," is not sufficient to fill this role.

Are you saying that a morning start is an automatic no, or is it something that has to be spot on stupendiferous to overcome a bias against it?

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Are you saying that a morning start is an automatic no, or is it something that has to be spot on stupendiferous to overcome a bias against it?

Morning is not a start, morning is a time of day. Of course it can be morning when you begin your story, but you can find a better way to start. I'm just making up stuff off the top of my head, but here is an example.

Good:

The mare tried to lift her head as Bill entered her stall. Jenny gave a hopeful nicker, as if somehow he would make it better, as if a rub and fresh hay would give her the strength to rise and face one more morning. But she'd no doubt lay there all night, stiff and unable to move, each breath a labor.

He'd hoped against hope that something would change during the night, that he'd find her standing, snorting anxiously to be fed. But seeing her lying there, barely able to move, he knew he'd made a mistake. He should have finished it last night. All he'd done was make her suffer one extra day.

Bad:

Bill woke at dawn. It had been a restless night, his dreams troubled by dying horses. A thin light came through the blinds and frost coated the inside of the window. He supposed it had snowed again and he'd have to shovel snow to be able to open the barn doors.

First some coffee, then he'd make his way to the barn to see how the sick horse had fared during the night.

I dashed off both these examples and used the same level of writing for both. Do you agree that the first opening is much stronger than the second? The second is just throat clearing--the writer waking up to the task at hand--before we get to the actual story, the business of the dying horse.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
Totally agree. I guess that's what I was looking for!

Thank you!

A market question...I've seen some agents say that they are enthusiastic for fairy tales in fantasy. Others are saying that it's overdone. What's your take?

FataMorgana

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Michael, I don't mean to be argumentative, but what do you think of these openings:

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." 1984, George Orwell

"At the beginning of July, during a spell of exceptionally hot weather, towards evening, a certain young man came down on to the street from the little room he rented from some tenants in S--- Lane and slowly, almost hesitantly, set off towards K---n Bridge." Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Are you sure that readers reject these kind of opening sentences? They might not be as impatient as busy agents.... :)

FataMorgana

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't we write for readers and not for agents? At least partially? :;)

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Shouldn't we write for readers and not for agents? At least partially? :;)

Yes, but at heart I'm just a reader. I only represent things that I like and I have very definite opinions. There's a reason, however, that people tell you to query widely.

As for your example, remember that you're writing for a modern audience. Have you read Les Miserables? There are some brilliant bits of characterizations in that book, but there are also fifty page asides about the Napleonic Wars. What do you think would happen if an unknown book of the same type, quality, size, and writing style came across an agent or editor's desk today? How about if you saw it on the bookshelf? Would you pick it up and read past the leisurely opening unless you'd already heard it was brilliant?

For better or worse, if you try to emulate a classic writer--even if you pull it off spectacularly--you're going to face a lot of frustration in the current market.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Ah, and besides which, there's a lot more than weather in these openings.

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." 1984, George Orwell

The first part of the sentence is a sneaky, mundane-sounding setup for the sting in the tail. Wait. The clock struck thirteen?

"At the beginning of July, during a spell of exceptionally hot weather, towards evening, a certain young man came down on to the street from the little room he rented from some tenants in S--- Lane and slowly, almost hesitantly, set off towards K---n Bridge." Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I see weather, but what I also see is a character doing something that he is reluctant to do. What or why, I'm not yet sure, but there's a hint of a mystery developing already.

Neither of these sentences are about the weather.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
A market question...I've seen some agents say that they are enthusiastic for fairy tales in fantasy. Others are saying that it's overdone. What's your take?

I'm not against fairy tales in fantasy, if they're done well enough.

Preacher'sWife

Crack that WIP!
Registered
Reaction score
in my own little corner, in my own little chair

LMAO (sitting here in central Iowa in my long johns, a sweater, and the fuzzy slippers my husband bought me for Christmas, staring at the yards of snow I have yet to shovel...thinking It was a cold, gray day in central Iowa...)

Status
Not open for further replies.