Agent Q&A - Michael Carr, Veritas Literary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empress Awesome

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware.
Registered
Reaction score
Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
Website
empressawesome.blogspot.com
I prefer Jamaican fruitcake (or christmas cake, or black cake, all the same), but it's more of a plum pudding than cake or bread texture. Man is it good, though!

Thanks so much, Michael! Guess you're right-- don't want an agent who ignores me. I'm royalty for crying out loud!

Speaking of which, couldn't help but notice that you are also royalty. I don't know, seems a bit like fate, don't you think? *bookmarks fruitcake site just in case*

Last edited:

Kmarshall

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again, Michael for your insightful comments. This may fall into the area of coincidence, buy all my partial requests have come from snail-mail queries. Every one. The three fulls were direct responses to email, but all those were with larger firms. That I do understand--larger firm means more staff and resources. They can look at more and devote more time (I think). So, I'm wondering if there's anything to the idea agents look at snail-mail queries differently. Oh, one caveat--those agencies I mailed to don't accept email queries. Ouch--my head is spinning.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC, the average turnaround on subs is about 4-6 weeks (and I stress average - the range can be anything from a day or so, to up to a year), so I wouldn't nudge or follow up until at least a month has passed. I was told by the agent who has my full that it would take weeks - definitely not days, but not months either. So I'm expecting a response somewhere around that average figure.

If it's a partial or full sent by email, i.e. with attachments, I don't think it's unreasonable to send a brief polite message to check your submission didn't get eaten by a spam filter. OTOH I got responses to my partials in under a month, and when I sent out the full I asked politely for a confirmation of receipt.

In general, I would never nudge for a query (no means no, etc.), but always nudge for a partial or full after a reasonable period of time. This reasonable period of time varies from agent to agent, but I'd say six weeks for a partial and two months for a full unless told otherwise by their guidelines.

If you're sending to me and I've had your partial more than a week, something has gone wrong, barring the occasional vacation or conference. Give me two weeks, then nudge, although I reserve the right to get hopelessly behind at some point in the future.

THANK YOU BOTH! :)

bleustock

Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question I haven't seen asked here that I'm hoping you can help me with...

Lately, as I've been reading the blogs of various authors, even those who are newer and not-yet-successful, I'm struck by how much time they seem to spend being sent on book tours. It seems like many of them are gone for weeks at a time, and many successful writers seem to be travelling multiple times each year.

So here's my question... what if you can't do this? What if you have professional or familiy obligations that simply can't be met if you're gone for extended periods? When you sign with a publisher, are you contractually obligated to tour, and, if so, how much control do you have over how much you are gone?

Nick Blaze

Jun-Ikkyu
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question I haven't seen asked here that I'm hoping you can help me with...

Lately, as I've been reading the blogs of various authors, even those who are newer and not-yet-successful, I'm struck by how much time they seem to spend being sent on book tours. It seems like many of them are gone for weeks at a time, and many successful writers seem to be travelling multiple times each year.

So here's my question... what if you can't do this? What if you have professional or familiy obligations that simply can't be met if you're gone for extended periods? When you sign with a publisher, are you contractually obligated to tour, and, if so, how much control do you have over how much you are gone?

I'm curious with this as well. Of course, it'll be miles before I get a contract.

dgaughran

Banned
Reaction score
Website
davidgaughran.wordpress.com
Hi Michael,

There are more women working in the industry than ever before, whether as writers, agents, booksellers or editors (albeit with some serious underrepresentation in certain areas, particularly at the higher end of the corporate structures). And there are more women reading than ever before. I don't know the exact figures, but I have heard that women purchase far more books than men, and in terms of fiction (which I write), some surveys have women purchasing five times more novels than men - figures which seem to hold up across the US, Canada, and the UK.

Do you think that men purchase far less novels because they are that much less interested in fiction (for whatever reason)? Or is there perhaps an element of their market being under-served?

I guess this is all a roundabout way of asking you what you think the market is like at the moment for adventure fiction.

Thanks,

Dave

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be

There are writers who do constant publicity and there are writers whose own agents and editors have never met, barely even know where they live. Don't stress too much about self-promotion. In most cases, I think a writer is better served writing another book than spending a zillion hours doing interviews, blogging, etc.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hi Michael,

There are more women working in the industry than ever before, whether as writers, agents, booksellers or editors (albeit with some serious underrepresentation in certain areas, particularly at the higher end of the corporate structures). And there are more women reading than ever before. I don't know the exact figures, but I have heard that women purchase far more books than men, and in terms of fiction (which I write), some surveys have women purchasing five times more novels than men - figures which seem to hold up across the US, Canada, and the UK.

Do you think that men purchase far less novels because they are that much less interested in fiction (for whatever reason)? Or is there perhaps an element of their market being under-served?

Is this new? I think women have been better represented as writers, editors, etc., for generations, relative to most other careers. And it's no coincidence that the rise of the novel as an art form corresponds with the rise of universal female literacy.

I understand perfectly well why women love books and reading so much, but what I can't figure out is why so many boys and men abandon reading as they get older. As a dedicated amateur thespian, I ask the same thing about the theater, as well. It's not like men don't love stories, movies, TV. At least in the case of the theater, I'm the beneficiary, as I can get almost any role I want, while there are always a dozen talented women for every good female part.

I guess this is all a roundabout way of asking you what you think the market is like at the moment for adventure fiction.

I think you can successfully write adventure fiction while not cutting off a large part of your audience. Think of how Hollywood has learned to put strong female characters, romantic interests, and other character developments into even the schlockiest special effects extravaganzas. And its not like women don't like reading adventure and men don't like reading about strong female characters. Or writing about them, for that matter.

Doobie Cantrip

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael,
just had my rejection from you today (ouch, cause you seem like a great agent!) and I just wanted to say how much I appreciate the speedy response ...so much better than the agony of waiting!
I don't know if you feel able to answer this but, would you tell someone outright (in not so many words) if you thought their query was a pile of poo?????
I'm pretty sure that everyone who's in the process of querying has constant moments of self-doubt, and I for one would prefer to hear if my query is one of those absolute shockers that make you cringe!
I suppose what I'm wondering is, if you agents have this unwritten understanding that you have to let even the awful writers down gently?
Thanks again for being one of the good guys who actually replies, and does so FAST!

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hi Michael,
just had my rejection from you today (ouch, cause you seem like a great agent!)

Rejections are the worst part of my job and there are times when I sit down to answer queries and I simply can't bring myself to do it and have to go work on something else for awhile because I can't stand the thought of sending off all those small bits of disappointment one after another.

I don't know if you feel able to answer this but, would you tell someone outright (in not so many words) if you thought their query was a pile of poo?????
No, I don't. There are times when I see a terrible or simply wrong query and then glance at the first page (I always do this) and realize that the writer is a better writer than her query and I will give one small bit of advice. I've probably included a link to SYW queries on this site twenty or thirty times. Some writers simply have not learned that there is a standard query format.

Other times, I'll add at the end, "Your query was not bad, although it was not for me. As a small bit of advice, I suggest including the first five pages of the manuscript (not as an attachment) to the bottom of your query. This will give you a second chance with agents who may otherwise be on the fence. I suspect you are currently missing out on some requests you might otherwise earn."

In general, though, I don't have time to give writing advice to 20-30 people each and every day, so I save most of my personalized comments for requested partials and fulls.

Cinzia8

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Michael,

I attended a "Pitch and Sell" writers conference in NYC and before I arrived I was asked to find three different book jacket synopses that I liked and fashion three different queries around these, which I did. From these, I built one. Would you agree with this approach? I also have room for my pitch and platform all on one page.

bleustock

Registered
Reaction score
There are writers who do constant publicity and there are writers whose own agents and editors have never met, barely even know where they live. Don't stress too much about self-promotion. In most cases, I think a writer is better served writing another book than spending a zillion hours doing interviews, blogging, etc.

Thanks, Michael! That's a huge relief to me. I've been wondering about this since I signed with my agent, but I was too afraid to ask her about it for fear of sending her running in the other direction.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hello Michael,

I attended a "Pitch and Sell" writers conference in NYC and before I arrived I was asked to find three different book jacket synopses that I liked and fashion three different queries around these, which I did. From these, I built one. Would you agree with this approach? I also have room for my pitch and platform all on one page.

Seems like it could work, although there's no way to tell without looking at the query that resulted. Have you tried to put your query in the SYW section to get some feedback? I almost always agree with the group consensus in the forum on whether or not queries work.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Thanks, Michael! That's a huge relief to me. I've been wondering about this since I signed with my agent, but I was too afraid to ask her about it for fear of sending her running in the other direction.

No, don't worry about that. Obviously, there comes a point where you can be too needy, but your agent will be happy to answer a simple question about career management. That's what she's there for.

CheyElizabeth

My horn can pierce the sky!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael, thanks for your time on AW, I've enjoyed reading the answers to your questions.

Mine comes from a subject I've seen beaten to death, but as I sent off a query this morning I got to thinking about it. Is it better to flat out say I have no publishing credits, or better to leave it off? I figure if I say it, I'm bringing it to their attention that I've never been published. But if I leave it off and have a superb query (thanks to AW and QLH) then the query should speak for itself, yes?

Writer-2-Author

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael, thanks so much for answering so many questions here. I have one that I haven't seen on here yet, so here goes: I'm writing a memoir about a neighbor's divorce and custody battle. I've been repeatedly told that divorce books are a dime a dozen and that what makes mine marketable is the fact that I am a woman, wife, and mother who is advocating for father's rights. The husband has emailed me details for the past 2 1/2 years. His wife has also emailed. He suggested the book to me in the first place and she knows nothing of it. I understand that emails are copyrighted, but if the email was sent directly to me, the intended recipient, can I quote those emails in my book?

Thanks,
Robin

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michael,

I'm back again with two more questions. If these have been answered before, I apologize in advance.

1. If an author has queried you and you rejected based on a query only, would you consider a revised query from the same author some months later or would you reject it outright? Is there some sort of "rule" that authors should abide by in order to not seem pushy or rude in this regard?

2. If an author has queried you for one novel and you rejected it, how much time should he or she wait before querying you on an entirely separate novel? Is this your preference or likely an industry norm?

:)

Last edited:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Hi Michael,

My alma mater has a major creative writing prize with award money usually ranging from $1-5,000 depending on category. It's a very old award, and many of the people who have won it while at school there have gone on to be internationally renowned authors, poets, and playwrights--more than a couple are Pulitzer winners. While I don't believe I'm quite of THAT ilk, I did win one of these awards when I was an undergraduate (for short fiction). Years later, I'm now querying my debut novel, a mainstream YA.

I often hear that awards often should be left out of a query because often they don't mean much beyond the taste of the judges, but is this the kind of award that would be an exception and should be included? I apologize for not giving specifics re: the university, but even though thousands have won these over the years, the award is in the top 10 Google hits for my name so I want to be a little circumspect. Thanks in advance--you do such a wonderful service answering folks here.

GreaterGatsby

Registered
Reaction score
I hear over and over that the publishing world is small. Do agents talk to each other about their experience with other agents' clients? As in, "Oh, I see your client published X book - I considered it and he was too prima donna for me to take on. hope it's going better for you." Or, "I really thought that book sucked, good for you for making it work."

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Is it better to flat out say I have no publishing credits, or better to leave it off? I figure if I say it, I'm bringing it to their attention that I've never been published. But if I leave it off and have a superb query (thanks to AW and QLH) then the query should speak for itself, yes?

Let the query speak for itself. I reject people all the time with interesting credits because the query and pages simply don't grab me. Of course, if I see someone with a great credit, my attention focuses at a slightly higher magnification, but that's it. A great query and pages are more important than anything else, and nothing else can compensate if those are lacking.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
1. If an author has queried you and you rejected based on a query only, would you consider a revised query from the same author some months later or would you reject it outright? Is there some sort of "rule" that authors should abide by in order to not seem pushy or rude in this regard?

I prefer not to see another query for the same project unless I explicitly ask for a R&R.

2. If an author has queried you for one novel and you rejected it, how much time should he or she wait before querying you on an entirely separate novel? Is this your preference or likely an industry norm?

Use your judgment, but the main problem with a submission that follows too closely on the heels of a reject is that I see it and immediately think trunk novel. About once a day I'll see a followup query to a rejection I sent out somewhere between 10 minutes and 10 days earlier. Ninety percent of the time these are weaker than the original submission.

Whether or not this is true in your case, you don't want me to enter your query with this expectation. I would assume you'll face the same thing when submitting to other agents.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Hi Michael,
I often hear that awards often should be left out of a query because often they don't mean much beyond the taste of the judges, but is this the kind of award that would be an exception and should be included?

If you think there's a decent chance the agent has heard of it, I don't suppose it would hurt, space permitting. You have to realize that there are hundreds of awards out there that have some prestige within a specific community. I'm judging one of them right now, but I'd never heard of it before the contest administrators approached me to ask if I'd be the judge.

KingM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
I hear over and over that the publishing world is small. Do agents talk to each other about their experience with other agents' clients? As in, "Oh, I see your client published X book - I considered it and he was too prima donna for me to take on. hope it's going better for you." Or, "I really thought that book sucked, good for you for making it work."

I'm sure some do, but we're not based in NY, so I don't actually see other agents all that often. When I go to NY it's to meet editors. On the rare occasion that I see other agents, we don't usually talk business.

Smaddux

Registered
Reaction score
Website
stephaniemaddux.blogspot.com
I am a bit comfused, A question was asked about whether or not to self pub an ebook, if that would hurt your chances with an agent or publisher. If in your own ignorance, you self pub, then pulled it down a week later, would that still hurt my chances? And wouldn't I still have all my rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.