Book Discussion: DECODED by Jay-Z

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know if this was a good place for this or not. If a mod wants to move this, please do!

I'm starting this in a day or two. The reviews look fabulous. I am reading mainly for research purposes. I have a character in my next novel who has been rapping since the 80's and is smart, savvy, and heavily involved in other aspects of the industry. This seemed like a great book to get some ideas from.

Jay-Z is an amazing force. I'm looking forward to reading the book just to learn more about him and see what all the hype over the book is about. It sounds incredibly interesting.

I'd love to talk about it with anyone else who is reading it or has read it.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Lots of views on this post, but no replies.

I started this yesterday and am incredibly impressed.

I will begin by saying that I am not a big rap or hip hop fan. However, I was intrigued by the descriptions about this book, and the opportunity to explore a world very different from my own. I recognize and respect anyone who has been working in their industry for as many decades as he has. He's made a huge impact on a wide array of people. I expected to learn from the book, and I looked forward to it.

I didn't expect that I would enjoy it as much as I have been.

Anyone who is a fan of Kerouac will appreciate the prose. It's obvious from the first paragraph that the author is an intelligent, well-read poet. The language has a beat and a visceral heat to it that isn't musical, but it's damn close.

I've read a few memoirs, enough to say that this isn't one. It's a great book. I wouldn't want anyone to be deterred from reading by their musical tastes or personal opinion (or lack of one). Jay-Z talks intiimately about life in Brooklyn in the 70s and 80s and ties it in to musics, movies, politics, and more.

There are lines that resonate after reading them and I feel like taking notes. It's turning out to be a wonderful book. This is one I will read again.