Any excuse for writing some dialog in ALL CAPS?

ZMShah

Techno-Fantasizer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zamilakhtar.com
Or is this simply not proper convention? For example:

"Hey you! Stop! STOP!"

This kind of indicates that the second "stop" is said with more intensity and even louder than the first. Is this acceptable?

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
It depends.

Some people frown on it. I don't see all-caps used that often. I do see it sometimes. Whether it's acceptable will depend on who's doing the accepting.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I hate it when writers do this. If you want to show the second "stop" has more intensity, then put it in italics. Don't resort to text speak or forum speak. It isn't necessary, and just looks silly.

Greenify13

Fair Maiden of War.
Registered
Reaction score
What James said...Using all caps in itself is more telling then showing, and yes the person is speaking, but you should never use a dialogue to tell something that can be shown. Showing is quite important, showing appropriately is even more important and often showing through dialogue isn't necessary.

"Hey you! Stop!"

The teen pulled up his sagging pants as he glanced over his shoulder, purse in one hand, he flipped her off with the other.

"Stop!" Eliza ran after the thief herself, no one in park seemed to notice the juvenille just stole the old woman's purse.

Point being, you don't need to show your intensity through the words themselves. I must say that I don't even like the use of exclamation marks though there are times it can be appropriate.

I've rambled, sorry, my marbles are swimming in too much coffee. :D

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Or is this simply not proper convention? For example:

"Hey you! Stop! STOP!"
I've seen similar usage in novels -- don't have a problem with it, in moderation. Kinda loses its punch if it's overused.

-Derek

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with James. After junior high school, even once is overuse.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
I think it's all right to use all caps to suggest shouting, especially when the shouting is annoying.

"CAN I GET YOU ANYTHING, DEAR?"
"Mrs. Bates, my mother is blind, not deaf."
"Oh, I see. WOULD YOU LIKE A COOKIE?"

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Oh yeah, that reminds me, in Fantasy capitals are sometimes used for speech (or thought-speech) from inhuman characters, e.g. Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, Death (the actual grim reaper) and golems speak or write IN CAPITALS. Seems odd for the first couple of lines, then you get used to it.

-Derek

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say never. HEAR ME?!? NEVER!!!!!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
THANKS CHRIS! :tongue

(when I said sparingly I mean I used all caps for one word out of the last three books I've written. And it was a bad word! :evil )

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
THANKS CHRIS! :tongue

(when I said sparingly I mean I used all caps for one word out of the last three books I've written. And it was a bad word! :evil )

The only words I do in all caps are "I" and "A" (and the second only at the beginning of a sentence).

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I hate it when writers do this. If you want to show the second "stop" has more intensity, then put it in italics. Don't resort to text speak or forum speak.
Use of all-caps in dialogue has nothing to do with text speak or forum speak. It's been around far longer.

It isn't necessary
Lots of things are not necessary. Everyone could write like Jose Saramago if they wanted to. No reason why they should, though, and most people don't.

and just looks silly.
And that sounds petty, and insulting to those successful authors who've used all-caps.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
What James said...Using all caps in itself is more telling then showing, and yes the person is speaking, but you should never use a dialogue to tell something that can be shown. Showing is quite important, showing appropriately is even more important and often showing through dialogue isn't necessary.

"Hey you! Stop!"

The teen pulled up his sagging pants as he glanced over his shoulder, purse in one hand, he flipped her off with the other.

"Stop!" Eliza ran after the thief herself, no one in park seemed to notice the juvenille just stole the old woman's purse.

Point being, you don't need to show your intensity through the words themselves. I must say that I don't even like the use of exclamation marks though there are times it can be appropriate.

I've rambled, sorry, my marbles are swimming in too much coffee. :D
Point being, your offering is worse than the original. For a start, it doesn't convey the increased intensity the OP was after, so it fails on that score. In addition, you've added a bunch of needless telling.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It depends -- house style, etc. (I guarantee you my publisher will lowercase it)

Personally, I hate it. It makes me think of Batman the TV show. Or a kid's writing.

BJThornton

Writer, and stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bjthornton.com
I've seen all caps used as in your example. When a character is yelling, it makes sense to me and isn't off putting.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
To me, capslock is not emphatic but more commanding.

Examples:

HE WHO PASSES THIS MARK SHALL PASS NO MORE!

No! No! NO!

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's all right to use all caps to suggest shouting, especially when the shouting is annoying.

"CAN I GET YOU ANYTHING, DEAR?"
"Mrs. Bates, my mother is blind, not deaf."
"Oh, I see. WOULD YOU LIKE A COOKIE?"

This type of example I can get behind. I think it can work in situations where the character is supposed to be annoying or a little humorous.

I'm not crazy about it in general, though. It's a personal choice, and I don't know that it's wrong, but I prefer the use of italics if something is emphasized. Using all caps looks too much like telling to me most of the time.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I tried it with the new WIP because there was a lot of yelling(a memoir) and it jarred me as I looked at the page. I tried everything, but cant capture the oomph it needs w/o it being too much. Caps is too much for me

I'm going to try James' suggestion, and switch it to italics

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen all caps used as in your example. When a character is yelling, it makes sense to me and isn't off putting.

Well, it isn't nearly as off putting as the phrase "off putting."

I guess I'd ask where you saw it?