Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #13026
Dorothy
practical experience, FTW

Dorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
It's quiet.

And now it's 7 or 8 weeks to the day since I subbed the MS. I'll have to check to see which it is...
Hang in there. I believe the agent you're waiting to hear from is at a romance writer's conference in Florida at the moment. She'll probably be back to "business" next week. Good luck!

MY SISTER'S REAPER (YA Urban Fantasy) out now from Month9Books
MY TETHERED SOUL releasing August 19, 2014.

Follow me on Twitter
Come like my fanpage

Check out my blog: We Do Write
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #13027
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
Hang in there. I believe the agent you're waiting to hear from is at a romance writer's conference in Florida at the moment. She'll probably be back to "business" next week. Good luck!
THanks, yeah I know about the conference, and the marathon. Busy, busy, busy.

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #13028
Lucia
figuring it all out

Lucia is on a distinguished road
Hi, I'm Lucia and I'm a newbie here Currently working on my first YA novel and looking forward to getting to know you all!

www.chooseya.com
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #13029
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
hello Lucia

Nice to have you with us.

Goodreads

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #13030
Dorothy

Dorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of lightDorothy is a glorious beacon of light
Nice to meet you, Lucia!

Follow me on Twitter
Come like my fanpage

Old 03-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #13031
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

hi dorothy.

Goodreads

Old 03-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #13032
Dorothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by parumpdragon View Post
hi dorothy.
Hi!

Follow me on Twitter
Come like my fanpage

Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #13033
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

Goodreads

Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #13034
J.S.F.

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Got two rejections for one novel and then one request for a partial. Keeping fingers crossed.

Also got an acceptance for an e-novel (YA) but undecided whether to go with this publisher or not. I'll think about it. In the meantime, on with the newest, They call me Master Fantastic. Up to sixty pages (to be revised, of course) and once I reach 125 or so (single-spaced) then the hard part begins.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #13035
Lucia
figuring it all out

Lucia is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the welcome
Good luck with the partial J.S.F! As for the e-novel, I wouldn't commit unless I was sure about going with the publisher so do take some time to think!

www.chooseya.com
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #13036
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

@ J.S.F - congrats on the partial and the e-pub if it all checks out and you decide to take it!

@Lucia - nice to see you

Me - I'm still waiting to hear back from the agent

Goodreads

Old 03-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #13037
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

E. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthood
Best of luck on the agent search all. I kind of gave up on the agent scene this fall and have just been subbing to publishers. Got my first contract last month in a genre I never thought I'd write. I still like hanging out with the YA crowd though.

Alpha's Heart:
on submission

Old 03-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #13038
yellowhammer

yellowhammer is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. S. Lark View Post
Best of luck on the agent search all. I kind of gave up on the agent scene this fall and have just been subbing to publishers. Got my first contract last month in a genre I never thought I'd write. I still like hanging out with the YA crowd though.
What genre? Just curious...
Old 03-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #13039
woodtop255
Heather Topham Wood

woodtop255 is on a distinguished road
It is so hard to be patient and wait to hear back. I just want my book out there now. I know some agents don't respond to queries with a form letter if they're not interested. But what about agents who request partials or fulls? Do most of them normally let you know either way?

Heather Topham Wood
My Blog Twitter Feed

First Visions: Second Sight Book One
NOW available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble
Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #13040
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
In my experience and to my knowledge the querying process goes a little something like this:

At the query level, any of the following may happen:

A) No response means no
B) A form rejection
C) A request for a partial or a full (and perhaps a synopsis)
D) Perhaps a personalized note with the rejection (though this is incredibly rare)

With a request for a partial:

A) Form rejection
B) Personalized rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes
D) Request for more pages (and maybe a synop)
E) Request for a full (and maybe a synop)

With a request for a full:

A) Form rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes about what did or did not work for them
D) Personalized rejection with an R&R (re-write and re-submit and which could still result in a rejection afterwards)
E) An email asking to have a phone conversation which may or may not result in an offer of representation (at this point)

I think that's about it. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, but I think this is a general guideline of the process.

HTH

Oh, and welcome

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 03-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #13041
woodtop255
Heather Topham Wood

woodtop255 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymel View Post
In my experience and to my knowledge the querying process goes a little something like this:

At the query level, any of the following may happen:

A) No response means no
B) A form rejection
C) A request for a partial or a full (and perhaps a synopsis)
D) Perhaps a personalized note with the rejection (though this is incredibly rare)

With a request for a partial:

A) Form rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes
D) Request for more pages (and maybe a synop)
E) Request for a full (and maybe a synop)

With a request for a full:

A) Form rejection
C) Personalized rejection with notes about what did or did not work for them
D) Personalized rejection with an R&R (re-write and re-submit and which could still result in a rejection afterwards)
E) An email asking to have a phone conversation which may or may not result in an offer of representation (at this point)

I think that's about it. Of course there are always exceptions to everything, but I think this is a general guideline of the process.

HTH

Oh, and welcome
Thanks and very helpful! BTW, I love your quote about falling on your face is still moving forward.

Heather Topham Wood
My Blog Twitter Feed

First Visions: Second Sight Book One
NOW available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #13042
mellymel

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
^^ Aww, thanks It is a great quote (as is the man who said )

Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM   #13043
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

E. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthoodE. S. Lark is a candidate for sainthood
Yellow, it's paranormal erotica. Never expected to write it, but it seems I have a knack for it.

Heya Mel! Hope you're doing well.

Alpha's Heart:
on submission

Old 03-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #13044
mellymel

Hey Em Congrats on all you have going on. Funny how your niche sort of found you rather than the other way around, hey?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #13045
E. S. Lark
Editing all the time

So very true. It's the hubby's fault. He dared me to try writing it again. I wrote two shorts in December, once of which I had to learn more about, so I kept writing. Over 50,000 words written in 6 days and a month later, I had a contract.

Hoping I can pull it off again with my newest piece. How was the move? (I think it happened...sorry if I'm a bit flaky).

Alpha's Heart:
on submission

Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #13046
Boy Wonder
in the Batlibrary of the Batcave

Boy Wonder is on a distinguished road
Hello all. Just popping in as a relatively new member though I've been lurking a long while

I've gone through the thread and already found helpful insight! So thanks for that

I've not attempted to publish anything but I'm still hoping to connect with people dabbling in the same stuff.

Congrats to those who have gotten a contract(s) and good luck to those still waiting for word!

Awkward first post in this thread over ~
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #13047
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

Welcome.

Glad to see a new face here. Hope you explore YA-SYW and the other share your work threads when you reach 50 posts. This is a great place for feedback.

Goodreads

Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #13048
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote randomish scenes in Taylor-made today. By "randomish" I mean that they aren't in novel order, but they were all thematically non-random. My poor android boy is haunted by the memories of the personality that was programmed into his body before he was. I've been having lots of fun writing those memories, and I had some inspiration this week, so I took out a notebook (usually I type when going straight through the novel) and jumped ahead to a series of those memories. What was nice about that is that the memories will be split up, but that section of memories happens to be a straight plot line, so it was nice to follow it without breaking it up yet.

Then in the shower, I had a brainstorm about when my MC meets up with the girl from those memories, so I wrote that down too.

On Saturday I wrote 10K. Today I wrote far less (10 hand-written pages). But I'm way more excited about today's writing than Saturday's.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Waiting on betas

Taylor-Made, version 4: Sent to editor!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #13049
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Boy Wonder

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Waiting on betas

Taylor-Made, version 4: Sent to editor!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #13050
parumpdragon
photography aficionado

Yay on the writing front Sage!

Goodreads

Closed Thread