Are there agents experienced with foreign writers in USA?

luckytranslation

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Could anyone possibly recommend agencies that are experienced for foreign writers? (I'm Chinese)
The books will be in English, but second language is challenging.

Any ideas?
Thank you!!

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I know we have some non-Americans here that have sold books to American publishers, so I know they're at least used to dealing with those.

I would say the book needs to be as good as it would be were you American. I take it from your post you're still in the writing stage?

luckytranslation

Registered
Reaction score
I know we have some non-Americans here that have sold books to American publishers, so I know they're at least used to dealing with those.

I would say the book needs to be as good as it would be were you American. I take it from your post you're still in the writing stage?

Thanks Sara! Yes the book is still at writing stage.
Kind of want to know ahead of time so when time comes to it I know who to ask... :)

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I understand. :)

Get the book done with first - you'll see that's a challenge in itself, especially if you're writing in ESL. :)

Btw, I write in ESL too (that's how it comes out) and that is one of my biggest worries, that the writing isn't as solid because of it. I have had very good feedback from folks who've read parts of my wips, but that worry is always there. For now, I'm focusing on making my wips the best they can be, and learning a whole lot about the craft of writing in the meantime. When I get to the querying stage, I'll worry about the language issue. ;)

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a non-native speaker as well, though I have no intention of mentioning that fact when querying.

My work will stand and fall on its own merits. Aside from that I have met plenty of so-called native speakers whose English met much to be desired. To me, whether I write in my first, second or fifth language is a non-issue as long as the writing is solid. And to ensure that I have a beta reader.

Reactions: LucindaLynx

luckytranslation

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. Get the book done.
For me I can't really count on language skills so the story is the key.
Chinese language is so different.

I understand. :)

Get the book done with first - you'll see that's a challenge in itself, especially if you're writing in ESL. :)

Btw, I write in ESL too (that's how it comes out) and that is one of my biggest worries, that the writing isn't as solid because of it. I have had very good feedback from folks who've read parts of my wips, but that worry is always there. For now, I'm focusing on making my wips the best they can be, and learning a whole lot about the craft of writing in the meantime. When I get to the querying stage, I'll worry about the language issue. ;)

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Like the rest of you, I'm a non-native speaker of English. I have an American publisher though, and my editor never finds problems with my use of the language. I guess it's a process of learning through the years. I could not speak proper English when I left school, I confess, and therefore I used to spend my summer holidays either in Great-Britain or the USA (my parents could afford this). I was lucky, of course. I spent months with families who only spoke English, so I learned quite well. I also watch BBC tv and only read in English - which all helps.
Right now English feels as my native language too.

Nickie

Last edited:

luckytranslation

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Nickie! I went to your website. Nice books you wrote!
I live in USA now and kind of looking for an agent who is experienced with foreign writers. Or maybe it does not matter?
wondering if anyone could make some recommendations....

Like the rest of you, I'm a non-native speaker of English. I have an American publisher though, and my editor never finds problems with my use of the language. I guess it's a process of learning through the years. I could not speak proper English when I left school, I confess, and therefore I used to spent my summer holidays either in Great-Britain or the USA (my parents could afford this). I was lucky, of course. I spent months with families who only spoke English, so I learned quite well. I also watch BBC tv and only read in English - which all helps.
Right now English feels as my native language too.

Nickie

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Lucky,

I just posted a query to a publisher whom I met on a forum where publishers and authors could meet. That was years ago (I mean, the forum). By chance I recognized Christine's name when I visited Rogue Phoenix's website.I received an answer quite soon, asking for me to send the full manuscript - and it got accepted! Since then, I submit all my work to them, as they do a proper job.

Nickie

Reactions: LucindaLynx

luckytranslation

Registered
Reaction score
Lucky,

I just posted a query to a publisher whom I met on a forum where publishers and authors could meet. That was years ago (I mean, the forum). By chance I recognized Christine's name when I visited Rogue Phoenix's website.I received an answer quite soon, asking for me to send the full manuscript - and it got accepted! Since then, I submit all my work to them, as they do a proper job.

Nickie

thank you Nickie! I also sent you a message. I need to look into these as well. well, writing is a full time, or, double time job...

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
Hi Lucky, try The Publisher's marketplace. For US$20/month, you get access to an amzing database. Type in an author's or novel's name and you'll find the agent and publisher. You can cancel anytime. I signed up last week for memoir info; wish I had known sooner. By the way, I really don't think ikt matters if you're foreign; ultimately agents and publishers want books which will sell, sell, sell. This is where ayour query lettter and proposal are essential. All the best!!