The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan anyone?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I finished it last week. I was intrigued enough, but without telling any spoilers, ultimately I was a little disappointed.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I frickin love it. It's interesting because it's both a girly romantic story and a gross zombie post-apocalypse tale. But I think it works really well. I've read the sequel, which is also good.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I read it last year. Pretty decent. Not too gory, but creepy. Ending fell a little flat for me. I like more hardcore zombies, but overall I enjoyed it. Haven't read the second one though.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I read it last year and liked it quite a bit. I do recommend it if you want a somewhat different take on an apocalyptic zombie book.

The sequel is in my TBR pile. The ending isn't such that you have to run out and buy it.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Thanks for the inputs. I don't mind a (spoiler) hanging ending *as someone dropped the spoiler on me in the Amazon reviews :)*

I am heartily intrigued. Zombies always freak me out... watch a lot of zombie movies, and I like the more post-apocolyptic ones, dealing with the aftermath as opposed to running and screaming (except for Zombieland. That was awesome.)

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
It was the first one I read that was many years after the apocalypse. It was a different take.

Oh, and I love Zombieland.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, the ending is a regular ending. The sequel is about a completely different character.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I read this a year ago. I liked it, didn't love it. I haven't read The Dead-Tossed Waves as yet.

lulzy

thinking
Registered
Reaction score
I've read both. Although my feelings as which were better is something I can't really answer.
But it's fine. And the author's use of Gabry is something I use for my name now.

elmoie

Registered
Reaction score
There are two things that scare the freaking "you know what" out of me:

1. Rats.
2. Zombies.

I am fully aware that zombies are fictional, but it didn't stop me from having sleepless nights after every zombie film I have ever seen. I laughed through Sean of the Dead but by that evening I was checking outside my window every five minutes, just to make sure there were no flesh eating zombies out there.

Despite all of this, I'm still drawn to zombies - I think it's because I get some sick excitement out of being scared to death. I read a blog review of The Forest of Hands and Teeth recently, the blogger loved it and because of that I looked up more reviews - but they were completely mixed so I decided against it for the time being. I currently have about fifty books in my TBR pile (I can't stop buying books!) so I might come back to it later.

chrysalnix

Registered
Reaction score
It's not your normal zombie book...a lot of character development instead of just running and fighting scenes. I like all types of zombie fiction, but I will say I liked this one better than most simply for the emphasis on the characters and plot.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
There are two things that scare the freaking "you know what" out of me:

1. Rats.
2. Zombies.

I am fully aware that zombies are fictional, but it didn't stop me from having sleepless nights after every zombie film I have ever seen. I laughed through Sean of the Dead but by that evening I was checking outside my window every five minutes, just to make sure there were no flesh eating zombies out there.

Despite all of this, I'm still drawn to zombies - I think it's because I get some sick excitement out of being scared to death. I read a blog review of The Forest of Hands and Teeth recently, the blogger loved it and because of that I looked up more reviews - but they were completely mixed so I decided against it for the time being. I currently have about fifty books in my TBR pile (I can't stop buying books!) so I might come back to it later.

I'm cool with rats - the kinds that are in cages. I know where they've been. They make good pets. But yes, wild rats, like New York city rats... who knows where they've been?!

Zombies freak me out. I love zombie movies - I'm more of a fantasy/regency romance kind of reader than a horror reader, so I haven't read any real zombie fiction besides Cell by Stephen King. Something about a zombie movies stays with me for DAYS... all I can think is that I live in a Studio apt with two huge windows and one door way - all these doors and windows face in one direction.

If there is a zombie apocalypse, I'm screwed. I have no wood or nails to board up my windows and no egress, unless I punch a hole thru to another apt, and who is to say what is on the other side of the sheetrock?? Probably just more zombies....

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
It's not your normal zombie book...a lot of character development instead of just running and fighting scenes. I like all types of zombie fiction, but I will say I liked this one better than most simply for the emphasis on the characters and plot.

this is what is drawing me to this book. Haven't gotten it or the free first chapter yet cuz I'm in the middle of a Lord of the Rings reread and I have the Blindsight to read for Feb book discussion (I am finally going to do one, during the same month they do it...) but I am looking forward to this.

chrysalnix

Registered
Reaction score
I just started the second book in the series, but I've only read the first few chapters. So far I like it. Also, the third installment is due out in March. I've had the second book in my TBR stack for a year. Thanks to this thread, I've finally started on it!

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
I just finished the first book this last weekend. I liked it, but the characters fell a little flat for me. The story is intriguing, though, I'll probably pick up the sequel from the library soon.

Mysty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
artisticlicensebook.wordpress.com
I read it over my winter break and I did really like it. I felt like the ending was just assuming there would be more books, though, and I kind of don't like that unless I already knew it was a series, y'know? But oh well. I do plan to read the sequel when I can get my hands on it.

chrysalnix

Registered
Reaction score
I'm already over halfway done with the sequel. "Dead Tossed Waves" is more of a page turner than Forest was. There's more tension.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I said I would come back and comment when I read this.

I read it in two days! I really liked it - it starts out like a coming of age literary tale and then... ZOMBIES!

I have only one complaint. I know it was a YA, and there are restrictions, but this book has to have the clumsiest physical intamacy I've read. I don't understand the nature of what was going on sometimes. There is a lot of hovering of lips and bodies. Sort of weird. But other than that - very good.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I don't know if I am allowed to do this, or if I look like a pig... but I actually chose this book for my monthly book discussion blog - the link is below. I'll be putting up the third post today, with general criticism/review. I try hard to stay away from spoiling anything.