Some Impressions/Thoughts From my Brief Internship at a Lit Agency

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Additional Info (which I forgot about when I typed these comments up) in post 33

****Something I forgot to mention below, but which is really quite important. Soooo many queries are TOO long. What happened in my case when I got a really long query was I immediately started skimming. You may think you're helping your odds by giving the agent a more detailed account of your plot, but in reality, at least in my case, you were hurting yourself, because quite frankly I wasn't paying as much attention to your query as I was to shorter, more succinct ones.****

I had the opportunity not too long ago to intern with a literary agency in NYC for a period of 2 weeks during my winter break. I ended up only showing up for 7 of my 10 days due to snow (I was making a significant commute.) I thought it might be helpful for people if I posted some of the things I saw/learned, some of the impressions I got out of the experience, etc.

A little bit of background info. Mostly, I read queries, though they did have me do some other stuff. The agent I was interning under was requesting prospective clients submit, in addition to the standard query letter, the first five pages of the manuscript and a synopsis.

- My general impression of the paper queries, which I read through on my first day, was that they tended to be weaker than the email queries. I admit, however, that the sample size I dealt with was rather small (after the first day, I was dealing only with email queries.)

- On the first day, the agent showed me an example of two queries + sample pages that she ended up requesting and eventually offering representation on. I liked the first one, but probably would have passed on the second one (though I admit, I was reading very fast/skimming because she was sitting behind me, waiting for me to finish and I didn’t want to keep her waiting.)

- Queries, in general, tended to be universally mediocre. The handful of queries that I thought were good did not necessarily have good (to my taste) sample pages included below.

- However, even if I didn’t like the query (and I admit to skimming queries), I always gave sample pages a chance, if they were included.

- In the event sample pages weren’t attached, I emailed authors and asked them to include the pages + synopsis in the body of the email.

- After the first day or so, I stopped reading synopses. There were several factors in my decision to do so. First of all, some synopses were absurdly long—as in, as long or longer than the sample pages. Second of all, like queries, after a while they all start to sound the same (even the literary agent admitted to me, only half-jokingly, that pretty much nobody can write a good synopsis.) Thirdly, if you don’t like the sample pages, it’s kind of pointless to read the synopsis. Lastly, and this is a personal factor—I am a slow reader. I read even slower when I don’t like what I’m reading. I’d never have gotten through what I did if I was reading every synopsis.

- I noticed when authors included more sample pages than asked for. The longest someone included was 20. You’re not necessarily going to get rejected for this, but it is kind of annoying, and it contributed to my decision to stop reading sample pages in their entirety before coming to a verdict.

- I got through, don’t remember exactly, probably around 300-350 queries + sample pages during my time at the agency.

- Out of all these manuscripts, I found one (on my second day) that I stuck in the YES folder.

- I stuck around 40 queries in the “maybe” folder. Most of these sample pages, I thought, were pretty good. They had a sense of voice, gave me a sense of their characters/settings, etc. There were a few maybes I would probably have rejected if not for their credentials. If an author was coming off a former literary agent, had been previously published be a reputable publisher before, or had been published in a major mag then I tended to err on the side of caution and stick them in maybe, even if I wasn’t a huge fan.

- Personally, I would have probably ended up requesting pages from 5 or so of the maybes myself.

- The agent in question rejected my YES (she said it was hilarious at points, but too over the top for her.)

- Out of my maybes, she requested pages from one, and left two others as maybes. The rest were rejects. Can’t remember exactly, but I think none of them had previous credentials.

- Regarding the one she ended up requesting pages from—neither of us liked his query.

- One of the reasons queries start to sound the same is because certain terms pop up a lot. Guardian comes most readily to mind. There were a lot of guardians.

- A lot of queries were like, Main Character is just your average kid/just wants to be your average kid, EXCEPT HE SHOOTS LIGHTNING OUT OF HIS BUTT WHEN HE FARTS.

- A lot of queries, especially YA Urban Fantasy queries, read like they’re all written from the same template. Off the top of my head.
NAME, a [number] teen year old at [school name] has enough to worry about with [insert generic school/teenage problems], without [insert discovery of paranormal abilities, an ancient conflict, discovery of paranormal abilities AND an ancient conflict]. It will be up to Name to [stop conflict, learn to control abilities]. That is, if he doesn’t get [insert fantasy problem and/or generic school/teenage problems,] first.
Jake, a thirteen year old at springwood high, has enough to worry about with not making the base ball team and getting dumped by text message, without a sect of ancient warrior chipmunks bringing their civil war to his town of Springwood. As the prophesied Tailless Peace-Maker it will be up to Jake bring peace to the chipmunks—if he doesn’t get his heart broken by text message again first.​
- A surprising amount of people have some kind of credentials. Usually it didn’t help, unless it was something I’d heard of, in which case, as I said, I tended to err on the side of caution.

- Credentials did, however, make me feel a little more comfortable when it came to recommending things (even if they weren't the most prestigious, though prestige certainly didn't hurt.) Seeing, for example, that my YES (which the agent rejected) was previously published in Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show and was personally chosen by Orson Scott Card made me feel all that much surer about recommending.

- Regarding sample pages, after a couple days, I started looking for an excuse to reject. Reasons for rejection
o Lots of typos (fairly rare, actually)
o Grammar issues, tense issues
o Blandness, generally not being very interested
- cliches

Reasons for Requests
- Voice.

- Humor.

On voice. I’ve thought about this a lot and decided that when pro writers write, they generally come out with one of two types of voice. There is perhaps, an intermediary style of voice between the two.

overt/stylized voice. Sometimes this voice is really over-the-top, but more generally, it’s just the kind of voice that grabs you by your throat, smacks you upside the head, etc. The kind that leaves you thinking, “You just don’t come across characters like this, characters like this just don’t exist in the real world, they’re too good for the real world.”

Examples:

Coen Brother’s The Big Lebowski, Chuck Palahuik’s Choke, Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye, Doestoevsky’s Notes from The Underground, Sherman Alexie’s The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part Time Indian.

The key here is that all these works focus on characters who are exceptional, truly one of a kind, and so their voice is exceptional and one of a kind. These stories leap right off the page.

The second kind of voice is what I’ve taken to calling a subtle/realistic voice. This voice usually comes from characters who are more ordinary than extraordinary. It is more down to earth—at it’s best, still too good for this world, yet, it feels more grounded, more real. You look at the people around you in the supermarket and you could imagine a story being written about them in that style, that voice. You see this a lot in literary fiction.

Examples: Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go, Lois Lowry’s The Giver, anything by Hemmingway, John Knowles’s A Separate Peace, Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby, Orwell's 1984, a lot of classic plays like The Glass Menagerie, and Death of a Salesman.

What I want to say is that for novels going for that subtle voice, the 5 or even 10 pg cut off/the need to whittle down queries as fast as possible may be working somewhat unfairly against you.

When you read a book with a subtle voice, you need to sit down, be relaxed, and just be taken along for the ride. You need to have PATIENCE, which is the complete opposite of what you’re getting when your novel is being read by a harried intern/agent.

That said, perhaps this also has to do, to a certain extent, with genre. Agents repping literary maybe be more patient and/or better at judging subtle voice in a short space of time than a two week intern primarily getting genre queries.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got, off the top of my head. Hope some of this rambling is of use.

Last edited:

Quasar

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caffeinatedpages.com
It's always interesting to see the inner workings of an agency and decipher how different people deal with queries + pages. I wouldn't have guessed, for example, that you'd have given the pages a chance even if the query didn't stick out at you.

A lot of agents these days pound the pavement to get the message across that "query is king". Not that I wouldn't go out of my way to polish my query until it sparkles, but your experience is one of those lights of hope in the darkness.

Also, you helped confirm what I have long suspected about synopses. :) Thanks for the insight, Mr. A!

Last edited:

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I was interested in your comments about the two categories of voice that you'd noticed. I started reading more urban fantasy and got irritated because I really don't like the voice in a lot of the 1st person novels (breezy, sardonic - good to a point, but often overdone IMO), but I enjoy the subject matter. I wanted to write an urban fantasy plot but I wanted my POV character to be a little more introspective than what I'd read so far. It seems to show up more in YA paranormal.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I was interested in your comments about the two categories of voice that you'd noticed. I started reading more urban fantasy and got irritated because I really don't like the voice in a lot of the 1st person novels (breezy, sardonic - good to a point, but often overdone IMO), but I enjoy the subject matter. I wanted to write an urban fantasy plot but I wanted my POV character to be a little more introspective than what I'd read so far. It seems to show up more in YA paranormal.
Very interesting account. Further data about why it's so hard to stand out from the pack and get noticed.

As far as UF voice goes, that first person breezy voice has become a staple, like the world weary, cynical voice of noir.

Problem is, it's easy to write in that style. But what a lot of people (including writers) don't realize is that it's hellishly difficult to do it successfully. One always walks the fine line between clever and coy, amusing and arch.

It's a great voice -- if you can pull it off.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome Quasar!

I wouldn't have guessed, for example, that you'd have given the pages a chance even if the query didn't stick out at you.

I want to be clear here, I didn't do it because I'm such a stand-up guy. I did it, because, to me, there seems to be only a very tenuous connection between a good query (and there were few enough of those) and good sample pages.

It is possible that more experienced agents know what to look for, but even experienced agents reject the vast majority of their requested material.

My guess is that agents who ask for query only are willing to lose out on the projects that have a mediocre query but good sample pages, because it saves them a lot of time to only have to read queries. They've probably weighed the matter in their minds and figured, "it's a loss I'm willing to take."

Not that I wouldn't go out of my way to polish my query until it sparkles, but your experience is one of those lights of hope in the darkness.

I should probably say that for certain projects, you might get rejected on query alone/get a very cursory look at your sample pages, even if the agent asks for sample pages to be included. This usually happens when the agent just isn't very into the subject matter (merit completely aside.)

Sarah - I don't know if you're a fan of literary and/or literary magical realism, but if you're into introspective narrators, certainly some of the very best are to be found there.

rugcat - glad you found something of use in all that rambling!

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This is fascinating. Very good information. I always love seeing things like this. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Jake, a thirteen year old at springwood high, has enough to worry about with not making the base ball team and getting dumped by text message, without a sect of ancient warrior chipmunks bringing their civil war to his town of Springwood. As the prophesied Tailless Peace-Maker it will be up to Jake bring peace to the chipmunks—if he doesn’t get his heart broken by text message again first.[/FONT]

Chipsy glanced up from his nuts, tail twitching, eyes growing wide.

"Could he be... the Tailless One?"

C.T. Richmond

Sloths are awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinetrichmond.com
Kristoff, haha! Looks like you might have material for your next book. :)

Mr. Anonymous, thanks so much for posting this! It's really cool to get an inside look at the inner workings of a lit agency.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
You mentioned about queries being too long. I agree. I've seen some on SYW that are tedious. Maybe the storyline is good, but....

I've always said, one paragraph--maybe two--about the story (think of a blurb on the back or inside front flap of the book), one paragraph about what you've had pubbed that's pertinent (if not, skip it), and two sentences at the end with "**** is approximately *** words and would appeal to the **** audience. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you." (Minus quotes, of course.)

Short, sweet, and to the point. Otherwise, you lose them.

My queries that have gotten the best results are similar to the above.

And synopsis--that too, as an agent once told me--two pages, single space, third person present, is fine.

Good thread.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I decided to wait on my own query--it sounded flat to me. I can only imagine its getting rejected fast because, while it succinctly told the opening events of the story, the POV voice wasn't coming out.

I appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your experience.

Lucie

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Anonymous, thanks for sharing your experience. When you say most queries are too long, what do mean exactly? The magic number I've heard 250 words. Would you agree with that?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That all rings true with me, expecially the parts about being too long, and all sounding alike. Though I blame query critiques and bad advice for making them all sound alike. It also shows why sample pages are a must. The nice thing about all queries sounding alike is that when a good one does come it, it almost glows. You hear an angelic choir, and teh jump at teh chance to read teh writer's manuscript.

Anyway, the sole experience I have with agents is the same as yours. While I've been an editor on many occasions, my agenting experience comes from reading queries and partials for an agency, though I think you should have found a way to read a lot more than 300-35o queries. I'm not sure how good a sample that is. Maybe a week's queries at the agency I read for.

Over the course of a couple of months, and somewhere close to three thousand queries, I would always find several that were unique, that did have great style, great voice, that told a good story in very few words.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This sounds like such a depressing job... Makes being at the receiving end sound like fun, compared to this!

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I love the thing about YA fantasy queries all looking the same - too true.

i looked back at my last query and wow, it was pretty shite. I'm amazed it got any requests at all. Too long and boring, for a start.

Thanks for the insight into the process.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the insight, Mr. A!

I agree with your assessment and Stormie's remarks on the short, concise queries. In fact, my "Stormie-approved" query resulted in the most requests on my latest WIP. :)

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome everyone.

kposa - 250 words is fine, though the shorter the better. When you start getting to 300, 350, 400 words, that's just too much. The difference between 250 and 350 might not seem like a lot (what's 100 words, right?) but realize that a 350 word query is 40% longer than a 250 word query.

James - I would've liked to read more, honest, but the truth is as I said, I'm a slow reader. Obviously it varies a little bit from book to book but I'm ashamed to say 1 pg per minute is a good pace for me when I'm awake + enjoying the book. When I'm not interested/forcing myself/tired, I read even slower. If I ever decided to be a literary agent, I'd need an intern, I think, or all I'd be doing is reading queries... That or I'd get absurdly behind.

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I am a query convert. My original query was way too long. Adopting the short query has gotten me more requests. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Mr. Anonymous, thanks for sharing your experience. When you say most queries are too long, what do mean exactly? The magic number I've heard 250 words. Would you agree with that?

My successful query* had a synopsis that was all of 115 words. Protagonist, setting (v important in fantasy), conflict and stakes. Sorted.

* I've only sent out one so far - the other agents wanted partials.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. A, you mention adding people with credentials to the maybe pile, even if you weren't thrilled with the query and pages. That's interesting, especially since you include "former agent" as a credential (I haven't been adding that info to my query).

I was wondering what you did if people mentioned the agent reading (and liking) a full prior to when you started. Would that elevate that query to a maybe even if you weren't sure about it? I'm just wondering if an agent now has an intern or assistant and I personalize my query with, for example, "You liked this about PAST PROJECT, so I think you'll like CURRENT PROJECT," if that even matters to the non-agent reader.

Mr. Anonymous

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. A, you mention adding people with credentials to the maybe pile, even if you weren't thrilled with the query and pages. That's interesting, especially since you include "former agent" as a credential (I haven't been adding that info to my query).

Having a former agent, like any other credential, won't do much for you if the agent reading your ms doesn't like your writing (I believe all the peeps who mentioned having former agents were rejected.) However, as an intern who was only going to be around for a very short span of time and who suspected his tastes might be a little different from the agent's, like I said, I figured it would be best to be careful. Another example that comes to mind-there was a writer who had previously been published in Fantasy mag. I thought his pages were ok. Certainly better than most, but I wasn't wild about them, and would've stuck them in the NO if he hadn't had that cred. To play it safe, I stuck him in maybe-and he got rejected.

I was wondering what you did if people mentioned the agent reading (and liking) a full prior to when you started.

As far as I can remember, nobody mentioned this. But what would I do? If I liked it a lot, I'd stick it in YES. If I was unsure and/or didn't like it, I'd either stick it in the maybe, or perhaps knock on the agent's door and ask her straight up.

FictionChick

Probably writing
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Anonymous, I found this incredibly enlightening. Thank you so much! The thing about "guardian" popping up a lot really caught my attention, because I have the word "guardian" in my frickin title!! Would you recommend changing this?

Looking over "successful" queries, I noticed many of them were kind of, well, meh. Some even had glaring typos. Which goes to show you - never know what's going to catch an agent's (or intern's) eye!