February Writing Prompt

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
“What's this? Drops of rain frozen into ice crystals? I shall harness their energy to rule the world!”

This month’s prompt comes from one of the classic characters from . . . well, not from literature, but classic nonetheless – Plankton!

Yes, it’s snow!

1/3 of the US is experiencing a wicked winter storm as I type this. Alas, I’m not one of them (forecast this week – completely sunny and mild, 60s). So, I’d love to hear some stories about storms, snow, characters in peril, in the snow, or a poem about nostrils freezing closed. Snow, sleet, ice, rain. I want to feel the brrrrrr.

Butterbean

This boy just ain't right
Registered
Reaction score
Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
Website
www.storiesfrommikeysworld.com
“What's this? Drops of rain frozen into ice crystals? I shall harness their energy to rule the world!”

This month’s prompt comes from one of the classic characters from . . . well, not from literature, but classic nonetheless – Plankton!

Yes, it’s snow!

1/3 of the US is experiencing a wicked winter storm as I type this. Alas, I’m not one of them (forecast this week – completely sunny and mild, 60s). So, I’d love to hear some stories about storms, snow, characters in peril, in the snow, or a poem about nostrils freezing closed. Snow, sleet, ice, rain. I want to feel the brrrrrr.

Great choice Sheila, we're expecting that nasty stuff to hit here any time now. If my brain don't freeze I'll try to think of something cold.

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt Sheila!! This should be very interesting. Must put brain to work and ooooo, already thought are running. :)

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score

Perfect, Sheila. The ice storm is here NOW. I've got a snow day; as long as I've got power and internet, I'll be a happy camper. Should be easy to get in the mood for this prompt!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know about that, Jed--the caterpillars and snails didn't have instant appeal for me, but they kinda grew on me. And it sure got a lot of interesting responses!

:hooray: Three cheers for everyone who's coming up with these prompts to get our creative juices flowing!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great prompt! Hmmmm.... I wonder how will Duke respond to his first snowfall?

And raining buckets here in Mississippi. It will drop below freezing tonight, but I think the rain's past us by then.

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Snow and cold usually means mind-numbing bitter . . . what were we talking about? Oh yeah, snow, winter, the time of the year I wish I was a bear. I'll give it my best shot, but I'm trying to forget how awful it is outside. Great idea though, Sheila. No lack of inspiration out my window.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As I was chasing my garbage can down the street this morning in the blustery arctic wind, I was thinking of you, Sheila!

So glad the groundhog didn't see his shadow today. :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know about that, Jed--the caterpillars and snails didn't have instant appeal for me, but they kinda grew on me. And it sure got a lot of interesting responses!

:hooray: Three cheers for everyone who's coming up with these prompts to get our creative juices flowing!

Even I came up with a prompt response for the caterpillars and snails, and I don't even write picture books (and clearly, caterpillars are a subject for PBs, not MGs)! I mean, seriously. Snails and caterpillars? Snails and caterpillars?!

Hehe. Love you, Jed! :D

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
As I was chasing my garbage can down the street this morning in the blustery arctic wind, I was thinking of you, Sheila!

So glad the groundhog didn't see his shadow today. :D

See, I was hoping you all could channel your misery into something creative. Like when you say, "this really sucks. But it would make a great story!"

As for me, I am completely uninspired by my own prompt. Well, so far. My feet were a little nippy this morning.

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
New prompt posted!! Very short this time but nonetheless, another useful practicing tool! :D Thanks for the prompt Sheila!!

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I struggled with this one, Sheila. None the less I came up with something and it's all good practice.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Jilly!

I posted something. I tried to think of someplace colder, so I traveled to the North Pole. Not really a case of "write what you know," but, oh well. I learned some new things as I researched it, which is good.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas for March yet? I'm getting itchy! I know I don't need to wait for a prompt, but this keeps it fun.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any ideas for March yet? I'm getting itchy! I know I don't need to wait for a prompt, but this keeps it fun.

Have you written a prompt yet, Chris P? We need a volunteer for March. But you can't post it till March 1st. :D

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haha! Sure I'll do it. March 1 is my birthday anyway, and the big 4-0 at that. Hmmm...... *ideas churning*

I'll try not to pick one that fits a story I have in mind. Stay tuned folks!

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Duke's B-day!!?? 4-0???? Hmmm...gonna have to check back or wait for your March Prompt thread!! *Biting nails* Patience....eh, never had any!! :D