The Sparkly Side of Life

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I think the sacrificial pens offered to the writing gods were out of ink. Or maybe they wanted the ones that write in purple. Whatever it was, it seems they're not happy and people are just dealing with crappy stuff. It's happened to me, to a bunch of people I know, and even to AW, with a wave of nasty trolling.

So...

I thought we could cheer each other up with the big and little things that make us smile and think, even if for just a second, "Man, it's good to be alive".

It could be a big accomplishment, a rep, whatever. Doesn't have to be writing related. Just happy. Like this:

Today, I was rummaging through a drawer full of old socks. Tucked in the back, I found a drawing the big kidlet made who-knows-when, of a multi-colored heart with the words I love you. She's made quite a few of those, but that one felt like a late Christmas present. :)

Now, go ahead.

Share the happiness. :Sun:

Last edited:

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I felt miserable yesterday. In an attempt to get me to smile, one of my best friends grabbed my wrists while another one tickled me until my ribs hurt :) It feels amazing to know they care so much, even though they have a funny way of showing it...

~Amber~

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
My kid's bus driver is a character.
This morning he greeted me, "Brrrrr. But my day got a little warmer getting to see you." :rolleyes::roll:

This afternoon, my boys got into a brotherly brawl. The middle one was messing with the youngest, and the oldest one broke it up. Then the middle one went to the bus driver and told him the oldest was "being a hot-head".

So the driver told him to get some snow and cool him off, and waited while my middle boy did just that.

The boys all came home laughing, and saying they have the greatest bus driver ever.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
Over the last 10 days we've gotten about 30" of snow - all kinds of records broken. Last Monday, my hubs spent 4 hours shoveling the 20" of wet heavy stuff out of the driveway and was not looking forward to shoveling the 10" that fell overnight/this morning.

He'd been out there for about half an hour when a guy in a bucket loader thing coming up the road pulls into the drive and waves my hubs out of the way. Whole driveway done in about five minutes. Finished, the guy waved at my hubs and went down the road.

:)

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Over the last several months I've felt the lowest of the low at work.

I also live in a secure building and UPS and FedEx packages have to be left at the office. They are currently operating under winter hours which means I cannot go to the office after work and can only pick up my packages on Saturday. I don't order a lot online but when I do it usually means I really, really wants it.

So, I'm contemplating leaving about two hours early from work tomorrow. Just a little self-care package and maybe not quite the intent of this thread, but I think it works. ;)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I read this thread this morning whilst cranky and it stuck with me. I decided to do something small but nice for someone. Made his day, which made mine, too.

So thanks, Sara. You made our day! :)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Over the last 10 days we've gotten about 30" of snow - all kinds of records broken. Last Monday, my hubs spent 4 hours shoveling the 20" of wet heavy stuff out of the driveway and was not looking forward to shoveling the 10" that fell overnight/this morning.

He'd been out there for about half an hour when a guy in a bucket loader thing coming up the road pulls into the drive and waves my hubs out of the way. Whole driveway done in about five minutes. Finished, the guy waved at my hubs and went down the road.

That is wicked awesome. Our neighbor runs a construction-y business and he dug up our yard with his backhoe last year when we had a leak between the meter and the house. Saved us a butt-load of manual digging.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other day I was super stressed about work. I went home and I found out my financee had bought me a doll I've been pining over.

Eudoxia

The Undead Bookworm
Registered
Reaction score
I've been a little down lately since I have a hard time showing certain emotions (affection, happiness, etc.) and my therapist thinks I should work on this. Today I was feeling depressed because I think I screwed things with an old friend and two hours ago he called and told me to look outside the window and there I see him with a bunch of heart balloons and a sign hanging around his neck that said "I'm sorry".

It literally made me cry. So, I have accomplished two things today. Showing affection/happiness and getting back together with a friend. Life is dandy right now.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I've been a little down lately since I have a hard time showing certain emotions (affection, happiness, etc.) and my therapist thinks I should work on this. Today I was feeling depressed because I think I screwed things with an old friend and two hours ago he called and told me to look outside the window and there I see him with a bunch of heart balloons and a sign hanging around his neck that said "I'm sorry".

It literally made me cry. So, I have accomplished two things today. Showing affection/happiness and getting back together with a friend. Life is dandy right now.

....tell me you didn't hurt him after.

Oh. Not everyone is like me. Sorry.

and this was probably one of the best stories so far. Other than Jesus's, of course. (my link above)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't gotten out of the grumpy mood generated by work and the impending arrival of Valentine's Day with me still being single, so I'll throw something fun out here. I'm making polymer clay cupcake ornaments now.

Take that, holiday!

IMG_0010.jpg

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
I still haven't gotten out of the grumpy mood generated by work and the impending arrival of Valentine's Day with me still being single, so I'll throw something fun out here. I'm making polymer clay cupcake ornaments now.

Take that, holiday!

IMG_0010.jpg

How so very cool!

Duchessmary

Where I want to be
Registered
Reaction score
I bought my MIL a cute basket of Valentine flowers today, knowing my husband will probably be too broke to buy her or me anything. Made me smile.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
*selects the shiniest, pinkest, brightest, stickiest sparkles and throws them on Ben*

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Things have been fairly "rough" for us for many years.
(I support my mom and brother on a very limited income, and they've both had too many health issues to count...)

However, as stressed out and overwhelmed as I get (sometimes), and (sometimes) there are days when I'm frustrated and angry and wish family wasn't around at all so that I didn't have days like that, on other days, I don't know what I'd do without them.

They keep me going when I'm down
and give me good advice. My mom is truly the only person on the planet who "gets" me since we're so similar and we make each other laugh. My bro is very smart and he tries to help with little things in his own way. (this computer for example, lol)

So, while things are quite hard sometimes, just coming home to the two of them cheers me up on bad days, because I know no matter what, they'll always be supportive of me and if I'm feeling lonely, at least the three of us are always together. They still encourage me to try and follow certain dreams even if they can't follow their own.

I'm kind of the "man" of the family since I'm the head of household, but I'm pretty sure I'd be lost without them. I'm very forgetful so when my brother has a doctor's appointment or something, he always leaves a voicemail on my phone to remind me. My mom leaves me notes to remind me of things. They take care of the apartment while I'm at work, which is a good thing since every few months there seems to be some kind of issue that involves water leaks. lol.

Anyway, I don't really have any specific happy thing to mention because we make each other happy in little ways all the time. It's the little things that force you to get up in the morning even if you want to spend all day in bed. My brother spends a little of his money every month so that we can finally rent one of the garages for our car at the apartment complex. With the weather the way it's been, that's been very nice.

Now if one of us could just win the lottery... :D I try to be thankful for the little things, because it's those things that get you through the day.

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, Beatrix, that's so incredible. You're right, it is the little things. :Sun:

Someone sent me a much-needed virtual hug yesterday. Today I paid it forward. The little things. :)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Great thread!

Let's see...right now, the thought that my husband doesn't have work but is going to clean up the house so that come Saturday, all I have to do is dust, vacuum, swiffer and the bathrooms...and laundry. LOL.

But still, knowing he's home picking up the wreck that is our house...and grilling chicken tonight because it's going to be 69 degrees today...makes me very happy!

vampgirl278

I DO believe in fairies and magic!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a few 'happy things'. :)

I have a two year old that is quickly learning his manners. The other day he walked up to his daddy with a cup, looked up at him with his big brown eyes and said "Daddy, I have apple juice please?" Daddy couldn't say no to that! lol

I am losing weight WAY easier than I ever could have thought possible. I was wearing a size 16 jean, and when I bought those, they were tight. I bought a 'goal dress' about a month ago that hung on my wall as inspiration... I tried it on last night and it FIT!!! *HAPPY DANCE*

And lastly (for now, anyway:)), I found a recipe for beef enchiladas that wouldn't 'quite' work for my family due to picky eaters (mostly me)... so I altered it a little bit and it was GREAT! The boys loved it and my BF said it tasted as good as a restaurant... Made me so happy!!! (Btw, if anyone wants the recipe, let me know... I will share :D)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And lastly (for now, anyway:)), I found a recipe for beef enchiladas that wouldn't 'quite' work for my family due to picky eaters (mostly me)... so I altered it a little bit and it was GREAT! The boys loved it and my BF said it tasted as good as a restaurant... Made me so happy!!! (Btw, if anyone wants the recipe, let me know... I will share :D)

Dontcha love it when you "tweek" a recipe and it works? I love that too. :D

I'm adding some extra sparkle for this thread...

sparklesbackdrops.gif