Omniscient POV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellit

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody have a good understanding of limited omniscient POV? I figure you see it a lot in fantasy books, so you fantasy/sci fi writers might know what I'm talking about. I've found very little out there that really tells me what I need to know about third person limited omniscient.

There's the general information, such as "the omniscient POV allows you to pan out and give a larger view of a scene, or to move from one character's head to another." However, trying to actually write in third person limited omniscient is proving much less obvious than I expected.

They say the omniscient POV's biggest fault is that you lose that closeness with the character, you have to distance yourself. I guess I'm having a hard time seeing exactly how far you have to distance yourself. I read books that are supposedly limited omniscient, and to me, they read like third person.

People have told me that Robert Jordan's books were limited omniscient. I can see that some parts are omniscient. Some chapters start in a very panned out camera view and then move in to the character's head. But once in the character's head, it reads like third limited.

So I guess my question is, if I am writing a story in limited omniscient, and I have started with a panned out POV, and then pan in to focuse on one character (the way Jordan did), what are the little details that would make my writing omniscient vs. third limited when inside that character's head?

I thought it would be stuff like: You can't put direct thoughts of the character without those filter words. But then Robert Jordan did. Crossroads of Twilight has this paragraph...

"That's what Masuri said," Perrin said absently. What was keeping Grady? How many people were there in Ebou Dar?...

Perrin asked a direct question. I didn't think you could do that with omniscient. Because you are in a narrator's head, not the character. I thought omniscient would have to word it like ... "Perrin wondered what was keeping Grady."

Am I missing something? Is he actually writing in Third Limited? And then throwing in bits of omniscient here and there? I didn't think you could do that (at least not without getting all kinds of complaints about POV errors).

I noticed Guy Gavriel Kay also has direct questions and statements from the characters in his books.

I'm trying to learn by reading authors that write in limited omniscient, but it's only confusing me more.

So where do I draw the line? Or is it okay to write in third limited and then have a paragraph in the middle of a chapter that is omniscient narrator? That's what Robert Jordan seemed to do. What am I missing?!

Help! :)

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an omniscient expert, but it does seem not uncommon in fantasy to start with a wide-shot "omniscient" and then pull in for limited third for the rest of the chapter. I'm not sure what you'd call that blend of omniscient and third...I'd just make sure you're consistent, if you're aiming for that.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
There is no such thing as limited omniscient, it is either third omniscient, or limited third. You would be best served by doing a search using the search topic on omni, and also omniscient. There are about a hundred threads going into GREAT detail. There are links, examples, and more. It is a common POV in thriller as well.

I am currently using this POV in my WIP. It takes a lot of reading and practice and you MUST know what you are doing, even more so than with ohter POV's or it will turn into head hopping and not work well at all.

Do the search and see if it clears some things up.

Hallen

Mostly annoying
Registered
Reaction score
There's some really good discussions on this in the Novel sub forum. Go search there. Some are as recent as a couple of weeks ago.

And I don't think Jordan was Omni, except maybe the opening of every book with that cold wind. He was third limited -- maybe with some license. I've seen a lot of stuff I read as being 3rd limited where character thoughts are almost in essay form. Maybe that's a normal thing in fantasy? Anyway, check those threads out. Like Amy says, there's a wealth of really good information there.

Mellit

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I'll search in the novel forum.

unruley700

save us from sleep and what we are
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first novel in third omni. I'm currently rewriting it if that tells you anything.

Mellit

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote my first novel in third omni. I'm currently rewriting it if that tells you anything.

hahaha, yes it does. That it's hard. I figure the only way I'll really learn is to try it and then find out what doesn't work. There are so many ways to go wrong, it seems.

So tell me, since you are re-writing it, what kinds of mistakes are you finding that need to be fixed? Other than the confusion type of mistakes that arise from moving from one character's head to another (I dont intend to use Omni to do this). Or are you changing it to 3rd limited?

My problem is I keep slipping into more of a 3rd Close POV, where it ends up reading in places as if the narrator IS the character. But then, I've seen some authors do that while in omniscient POV. Nora Roberts does it. If not for the fact that she moves from head to head, I wouldn't think it was omniscient. I think my mistakes tend to be related to this. But then...maybe they aren't mistakes if authors are doing it...

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Since omni is a form of third person, it will feel like third in sections. How close you get to each character is up to you. As long as you are consistent throughout and there IS a sense of a narrator to some degree then you should be fine. Reading plenty of examples and having some people crit your work (at least the first few chapters) will get you on the right track.

There isn't anything wrong with transitioning between characters as long as it is done in a way that isn't jarring to the reader. Again, the best way to do this well is to read good examples and to practice and get feedback. How frequently you shift in your work will depend on YOU and your novel. There isn't a hard and fast rule, and different scenes can call for different things.

I have a few scenes in my book that are murder scenes and I shift back and forth very swiftly to contrast the beating pulses of the killer and victim. It works well in the moment, but would fail in a different scene. I also tend to spend very long stretches with my MC to develop more intimacy. I have a much closer narrative of my MC than I do with other characters in my book. This is another advantage of omni. Your narrator can be as distant or close to each character as you wish.

Centarch

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write in third person, but with a focus on one specific character at a time. For example, in my main novel project, there are two viewpoint characters, but each one has chapters of their own where the reader can see their thoughts. In chapters where they appear together, it's always the viewpoint of the main character. I don't know if that makes sense, but there it is anyway.

Writing with multiple viewpoints in a single scene seems very confusing.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write in third person, but with a focus on one specific character at a time. For example, in my main novel project, there are two viewpoint characters, but each one has chapters of their own where the reader can see their thoughts. In chapters where they appear together, it's always the viewpoint of the main character. I don't know if that makes sense, but there it is anyway.

Writing with multiple viewpoints in a single scene seems very confusing.

Omniscient with a focus on a limited third POV is pretty common in novels. For example in George Eliot's Middlemarch, there are lots of authorial passages from a very omniscient point of view as well as lots of passages from a limited 3rd person viewpoint. Edgar Rice Burroughs writes in much the same way except that his omniscient view is not very thoughtful so we hear a lot about the Divine Sense of Reason that Tarzan has but there's not much evidence of it in either the author or the titular (?) Apeman. I really wish George Eliot had written Tarzan and Edgar Rice Burroughs had written Middlemarch.

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I really wish George Eliot had written Tarzan and Edgar Rice Burroughs had written Middlemarch.

Somebody write this now!

This reminds me of "The Jungle Rot Kid on the Nod", a short story by Philip José Farmer - Tarzan as written by another Burroughs, namely William S. instead of Edgar Rice.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
How often the switches occur can vary a lot even by book. I like reading through neil Gaiman's books and comparing his omni. He has some that seem almost third limited, sticking to one character's viewpoint through nearly an entire novel. Then others can incorporate multiple people into one scene.

francist44

Tenacious to a fault
Registered
Reaction score
Spotsylvania Virgina, not the vampire place
Website
www.writerfrans-cave.com
I love to write omni 3rd in present tense! It is a lharder to make work, but it gives you so much freedom and for the reader -and you- it makes everything seem like it's happening now. Most will say it doesn't make for an easy read; but once you get into it, you forget about the omni and the tense quick. A beta bud, now likes it so much she's giving it a try. I'm sure the above will draw flack from many.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
There is no such thing as limited omniscient, it is either third omniscient, or limited third. You would be best served by doing a search using the search topic on omni, and also omniscient. There are about a hundred threads going into GREAT detail. There are links, examples, and more. It is a common POV in thriller as well.

I am currently using this POV in my WIP. It takes a lot of reading and practice and you MUST know what you are doing, even more so than with ohter POV's or it will turn into head hopping and not work well at all.

Do the search and see if it clears some things up.

Omniscient allows you to swoop in and out of proximity, switch between people and generally play around. It is the natural narrative voice of myth and fairy stories. I don't know why it always puts people in such a spin. Think 'once upon a time,' and relax.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to read James Wood, "How Fiction Works."
You might get a lot from Wood's description of "free indirect speech."

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
timewaster, I only caution people to study it a bit because we tend to have many writers new to omni who DO get confused about it.

I am not one.

DMPitchford

Registered
Reaction score
you know, I started writing a lot more and a lot better when I quit freaking out about all these philosophical questions and started just sitting and writing.
my basic understanding of 3rd person limited is that you (the narrator) cannot know anything beyond the knowledge of the focal character. but reading this thread suddenly has me somewhat confused.

Morven

Child of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, third person limited is the narrator sitting in the viewpoint character's head, or on the shoulder (depending on whether we're reading the character's thoughts or not, basically). You can hop to another character, though you don't have to -- but at any point you can only tell what that character can perceive or know.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
you know, I started writing a lot more and a lot better when I quit freaking out about all these philosophical questions and started just sitting and writing.
my basic understanding of 3rd person limited is that you (the narrator) cannot know anything beyond the knowledge of the focal character. but reading this thread suddenly has me somewhat confused.

Third person limited is more of a lifestyle choice than a viewpoint. I always try very very very hard to stick to third person limited, but then something comes up where I have to make some kind of aside to the reader and well, after that, you're in trouble because clearly the author
can just tell you anything as in "little did he know" (which comes up in the
movie Stranger than Fiction as a dead give away that the narrator is not as innocent of being the author as they may seem).

Status
Not open for further replies.