A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I got a book for my b-day enitled 501 Must-Read Books and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle was listed among them. After finishing Huck Finn (also listed), which I had never read, I decided to give Wrinkle a try.

I thought I had read this as a child and enjoyed it, and know that I have heard many great things about it over the years, so my reaction as an adult very much surprised me.

Are there fans or detractors here? I would very much like to hear how this book is viewed by a broad swath of current authors. Thanks.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I loved this book as a pre-teen, and still loved it through HS. When I reread it again as an adult, eh, not so much. I still liked the concept, and I still think it's one of the best early YAs out there--certainly better than its two sequels.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I also read it as an early teen and loved it. It is one I have wanted to reread, see if I still like it, since it has been about 20 years. Honestly, I can't remember much about it.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE this book. Love, love, love, love! I read it in intermediate school, and then devoured the rest of L'Engle's books. I think she was probably the first author whose books I would pick up and read regardless of if I'd heard of them or not.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't remember much about it, but I remember absolutely LOVING this book as a kid. I read it a couple of times actually, I loved it so much. It was one of my favorites.

I would like to read it again, as an adult, just to see what my reaction would be now.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like it.

But I prefer to read (and write) contemporary MG.

Many people (children and Cyias alike) love it. So, I have recommended it to others.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I remember it well, but have not read it in a long time. L'engle is one of my favorite authors. She is very blatant (IMO) about her religious themes, however, which I found present even in AWIT. I think in our present times this would probably be offensive to many people and not as widely acceptable as it was when I first read the book in the 80s.

In fact, I am almost positive I picked up the book at the Christian bookstore at the seminary campus my father was attending school at for his third masters degree. It was right next to CS Lewis.

I do think her writing is wonderful, and I am pretty openly accepting about lots of different subjects. I can see how it would not sit well with everyone. It's a bit subversive. :)

Deleted member 42

I loved Wrinkle in Time when I first read it at 9, but found some of it a bit precious.

Now, I can't bear it.

To be fair, some of that dislike is doubtless partially a knee-jerk reaction to other things she wrote that really upset me as a teen.

Detri Redmond

Apprentice Wordslinger
Registered
Reaction score
I read this around the same age as Medielvalist did and have been meaning to do so again. It was my first love as far reading on my own as a child.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I think the two things that most troubled me were her religion and lack of imagination.

I have since read that many conservative religious commentators originally attacked the religion in the book, but I just found it to be jarringly obtrusive. I could have accepted it layered in, but she actually stopped the action on a couple of occasions to have characters on far distant planets (the Happy Medium comes to mind) spout ancient Earth/Hebrew texts.

What bothered me more, however, was that, on planets lightyears away, completely humanoid aliens lived lives remarkably similar to a sixty's notion of Earth/Western suburbia (row houses, boys on bikes delivering papers, etc). Aparently (in the L'Engleverse) there exists more disparate examples of the existential condition on our own planet than in the rest of the universe.

Sigh. I just felt remarkbly underwhelmed by the whole thing.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Some of what she did was very simplified, I think, because of the age group it was targeted at. I have a similar reaction when reading YA and/or MG NOW. I just DO NOT like reading about young relationships and/or school experiences. It leaves me wanting more.

I agree with you about the religious aspect. I thought it was very overt and could have been more seamlessly layered in. She wrote some other books that were much better done. I particularly liked An Acceptable Time, which was focused on an older character and a very different setting. there were some semi-religious themes, but it was more subtle. Medie, you might like that one since it touched on some druidic and celtic practices. I would classify it as YA.

It's funny how we read things as kids, or even watch movies as kids, and don't see certain messages. I am floored by some of the awful things in the older Disney films. They are extremely racist.

I too, didn't like the suburbia thing. It tripped me up even as a kid.

However, I do find some authors preaching their personal views again and again to kind of melt into a background hum. Heinlen, for instance, I just get over. I fuhgedahboutit and read the books for whatever else there is.

L'Engle's religious views are prevalent in most of her books. I didn't like that she explored some of the stuff I thought was least interesting and ignored the things I found most interesting, like Charles Wallace and his intelligence and the odd family dynamics. She NEVER went into this in any of her books. She completely glosses over it, portraying them as this loving family, but never doing more. It struck me as very shallow. All the funky scientific stuff mixed with flimsy fantasy and religious themes fell a little flat when there wasn't as much solidity to the characters as I wanted.

I did find more in some of her other books. There was poignancy in a few relationships and she touched on some interesting things. I liked it, but I definitely would NOT feel the same now about her as I did at 15.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love it, and most of the sequels. I loved it as a kid (still have my old falling-apart peanut-butter-and-jelly stained copy!) and i reread it as an adult. Still love it just as much. I even love the movie version! I wasn't bothered by any religious stuff in it. tbh i don't know what religion she is? I was also not bothered by lewis or pullman so meh. Anyone read the one where sandy and dennys go back to biblical times and fart around with noah? Good times.

amyashley

Stunt-Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Many Waters. I liked that one because the religious aspect was enveloped. I think it was a better book in general. I liked her books targeted at an older audience better than Wrinkle.

She is still a fave, but I think all authors have weak spots and I can see how she could tweak a nerve or seven. I don't know this book was her best (not IMO).

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
I LOVE this book. Love, love, love, love! I read it in intermediate school, and then devoured the rest of L'Engle's books. I think she was probably the first author whose books I would pick up and read regardless of if I'd heard of them or not.

I completely agree!!! Then I got hooked on allher Austin family books. L'engle was pretty instrumental in my loveof reading.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I first read "A Wrinkle in Time" when I was way too young, and I had some nightmarish misunderstandings of what was going on. Later I enjoyed it very much. I've read the sequels, too. I now accept them as religiously heavy-handed (particularly "Many Waters", which doesn't even pretend to be anything but insertion of Sandy and Dennys into the story of Noah).

What I find interesting about these books is how aspects of them reflect their time. A Wrinkle in Time came out in 1962, and it's full of 1950's questions about conformity, suburbia, grey-flannel-suited business drones, and going along to get along. It even has a giant brain, the perfect '50s science fiction movie cliché. The sequel, "A Wind in the Door", is from 1973. It deals with counterculture-like creatures who are being led astray into wild hedonism at the risk of their entire world. Among other things.

I think L'Engle was using deliberate allegory rather than displaying a lack of imagination. She wasn't trying to make up a plausible alien planet so much as commentaries on people and society.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly I was very disappointed with it. I thought the book was ok. But it boggles my mind at how it's become so popular and so highly lauded. The characters, the story, even the way she puts words together all struck me as "good" or "decent" but none of it blew me away. I gave it to my mom to read, thinking maybe she'd get more out of it, but she ended up with the same impression.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is one of those book I'm afraid to revisit. I loved those first three novels in that series and L'Engle sparked off a reading frenzy in me that lasted, well, a lifetime.

I don't want to know if it wouldn't hold up.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
Loved then, still love now. I'm still able to view it through the eyes of the age group intended, because I didn't re-read it until my oldest was old enough to read it. It's not my favorite book of hers (YA would be A Ring of Endless Light and for grown-ups, probably A Severed Wasp and I loved her memoirs, particularly Two-Part Invention).

Many Waters I blame for Anne Rice's dive into Bible fanfic. Just... ugh. I like to pretend that one isn't part of L'Engle's body of work.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I liked A Wrinkle in Time.

I liked An Acceptable Time better.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I too read it as a preteen and LOVED it, but apparently I wasn't quite as smart as the average bear (or kid), since I didn't figure out that it had a religious theme until I was much older. :rolleyes

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A groundbreaking concept when first written. I'm not sure it's even fair for adults to read it today. It set the groundwork for a thousand other books we've all probably read, so it seems old hat to us now.

But I suspect kids will still love it.

Bryan V

New Thick; Learning About Fish Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I liked it when I read it in the fourth grade. Now I can't stand it. The only thing I absolutely hate about it is that they say a tesseract is a wrinkle in time. No. It's not.