اللغة آلعربية

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
اتكلم واكتب العربية قليلا لكن اريد الممارسة

I was waiting for someone more fluent than I to start this thread, but I haven't seen one yet. Anyway, Modern Standard Arabic is the only language besides English that I'm at all conversational in, and I'd love to practice. It's such a beautiful language.

Anyone else out there?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Gah, I know just enough that I can read what you wrote, but my writing ability is crap and my conversational ability is almost nonexistent for lack of practice.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Heh. I'm relieved that it's readable. I have very little faith in my written Arabic. Also, typing arabic on a qwerty keyboard is an adventure, and one they certainly do NOT teach you in class. When I was in Egypt, the computer keyboards had the arabic letters and signs next to the english ones. Very handy, better than my trial-and-error approach.

*pondering pasting proper arabic letters on her keyboard*

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I can't understand a word of it, but I love how it looks on the screen. So pretty!

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
اتكلم واكتب العربية قليلا لكن اريد الممارسة

I was waiting for someone more fluent than I to start this thread, but I haven't seen one yet. Anyway, Modern Standard Arabic is the only language besides English that I'm at all conversational in, and I'd love to practice. It's such a beautiful language.

Anyone else out there?
Hi there Bookewyrme. I'm a native Arabic speaker, so if you had any questions, I will try as best as I can to help. I'm no teacher, so please keep that in mind :)

Your sentence is correct, but you used "لكن" which means "but". Your sentence would be translated as "I speak and write little Arabic but I want to practice [it]". In a logical sense, you wouldn't use but in English, but would use maybe something like "و" ("and"). This is a word preference note, but as far as your sentence goes, you're completely right :)

So you were in Egypt? So was I :D How did you find your stay there? And yes, typing in Arabic without those handy letters on the keyboard would be a pain I'd imagine. Thank god it's very easy to write in Japanese on a non-Japanese keyboard :D

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Ehab! I'll keep that in mind, though I've got to get a new program for the letters, because my old computer with the program on it is kaput. Anyway, I think I meant to use "but" in the sentence, but noted. :)

As for Egypt, I wasn't there very long, and spent a lot of time on our ship, but I absolutely loved it. It was a little overwhelming at times, but I really can't wait to go back, and NOT as part of a tourist group. It was amazingly awesome to see some of the monuments I've been studying for so long.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I came off odd, but I just thought I'd say what I thought. If you intended to use it, then that's great! Don't know of kaput, but then again I've never had to use one. Are you a Windows user or a Mac one? If it's Windows, I think you can install Arabic keyboard as a writing language and then you'll just have to memorize where the letters are. It sounds like a lot of hard work, but ah well.

I stayed in Egypt for 4 years and I only saw the pyramids once :( It wasn't for that long either. Maybe when you're there next time you can let me know so you can show me around :tongue

!MeMa!

Registered
Reaction score
am not sure whether if it's ok to post this or not, but i want to say i am a native speaker of arabic too and if you want any kind of help please do ask ^_^

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
am not sure whether if it's ok to post this or not, but i want to say i am a native speaker of arabic too and if you want any kind of help please do ask ^_^
Another native! We're multiplying I see, lol. Welcome on board, umm, !MeMa!.

AnwaarSaleh

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a native Arabic speaking member and am pleased to meet you all.

Paper Princess

I'm a newbie, bee nice to me :P
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I am glad I found this thread. Arabic is my mother tongue. I wish this threat is more active..

Last edited:

Paper Princess

Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys write in Arabic or English? Is there anyone that writes in both?

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Sara doesn't write in Arabic, and I don't know about the rest... For me, however, I don't write in Arabic (novel-wise) and write exclusively in English (so far).

Paper Princess

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I tried writing an Arabic novel, but it didn't work. Somehow fantasy sounds funny in Arabic :p

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, to be honest, I've never read an Arabic novel... Actually, just one, and I didn't enjoy it thoroughly. It was speculative dystopian fantasy. The two languages have very distinct writing styles; the rules you have for English writing are not the same as the ones for the Arabic novels... At least that's how it seems to me.

Paper Princess

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, to be honest, I've never read an Arabic novel... Actually, just one, and I didn't enjoy it thoroughly. It was speculative dystopian fantasy. The two languages have very distinct writing styles; the rules you have for English writing are not the same as the ones for the Arabic novels... At least that's how it seems to me.

I agree with you, I mean when I tried reading novels translated to Arabic, it seemed less enjoyable than the original English novel.

AnwaarSaleh

Registered
Reaction score
I too find it weird to write a fantasy Arabic story. Honestly, I tried to write few stories in Arabic before but failed to continue. Even though I felt that the idea was good but I discontinued it eventually.

!MeMa!

Registered
Reaction score
i want to reply in this since three days ago.
for me i read Arabic novels and i tried to wirte one, but i lose motivation somehow in the middle of it. i also write two researches so far and i hope to puplished them.
As for reading, i myself really enjoy read in both languages. i know that there is no cognite between english and arabic, but both are strong language.

at the end i want to say welcome all to the cooler and Happy New Year.

:)

Last edited:

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
i want to reply in this since three days ago.
for me i read Arabic novels and i tried to wirte one, but i lose motivation somehow in the middle of it. i also write two researches so far and i hope to puplished them.
As for reading, i myself really enjoy read in both languages. i know that there is no cognite between english and arabic, but both are strong language.

at the end i want to say welcome all to the cooler and Happy New Year.

:)
هل من الممكن أن تذكري اسم الرواية التي حاولتي قراءتها؟ سيكون من المثير للاهتمام الإطلاع عليها
I used Arabic to keep this conversation relevant to the thread

!MeMa!

Registered
Reaction score
هل من الممكن أن تذكري اسم الرواية التي حاولتي قراءتها؟ سيكون من المثير للاهتمام الإطلاع عليها
I used Arabic to keep this conversation relevant to the thread

you didn't get me

انت لم تفهمني ما عنيته انني اقرا الكتب العربيه
وقد حاولت كتابة راويه عربيه لكني فقدت حماسي للكاتبه والان هي حبيسة الارشيف :D
if want i can recmmend to you some interesting books :)

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
you didn't get me

انت لم تفهمني ما عنيته انني اقرا الكتب العربيه
وقد حاولت كتابة راويه عربيه لكني فقدت حماسي للكاتبه والان هي حبيسة الارشيف :D
if want i can recmmend to you some interesting books :)
I thought you meant you tried to read an Arabic novel, lol. "Archive's prisoner"... Nice description :D

المفروض ان تكون هناك روايات عربية اكثر في الانواع المختلفة من الروايات... لكن اعتقد انك تعرفين الموانع الاجتماعية التي ساعدت في عدم انتشار هذه الروايات...

!MeMa!

Registered
Reaction score
لكن اعتقد انك تعرفين الموانع الاجتماعية التي ساعدت في عدم انتشار هذه الروايات
am not sure am following :Huh:

however, i really feel awkward when i talk in standerd Arabic :D

at the end, i just wanna say that there are many translated novels i.e: from Arabic to English which bacame very pupular in our world (Arabs) and when you read it you cannot figure out weather if it's translated or oringially written in arabic like for example, twilight collection, i didn't read it in Arabic, but according to my sister, who read the collection in both languges, she said she like the Arabic one better than the english virsion.:Trophy: