Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #2626
AndreaGS
practical experience, FTW

AndreaGS is a glorious beacon of lightAndreaGS is a glorious beacon of lightAndreaGS is a glorious beacon of light
Just got my rejection from Clarkesworld too! Onto the next publication!

Epic fantasy. Free to read on wattpad. New chapters posted 1/week.

Honey, Plums and Cinnamon
Free to read on Galaxy's Edge

Represented by Juliet Mushens of The Agency Group
AndreaGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #2627
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
After starting and stopping a handful of attempts, just finished another story which means I have completed my first month of write1/sub1 weekly. It is interesting because I do feel my writing getting better. Not sure where to send this one. It is literary/mainstream with a slight touch of SF/supernatural.

Last edited by gettingby; 02-23-2012 at 03:14 AM.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #2628
ohthatmomagain
writing, working, weeping, winning

ohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to beholdohthatmomagain is a splendid one to behold
Congratulations, getting by. So far I've done my write1/sub1 for the month too

Out Now SAINT SLOAN
...every saint as a past...

Twitter: @martieKay

ohthatmomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #2629
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

MeretSeger has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
I alternate between them, Lightspeed and F&SF if I feel the story is strong enough. Of course, they haven;t felt that the story is strong enough yet Just got my rejection for the Clakesworld story after about 24 hours, a few minutes back.
Ack, sorry! You'll crack 'em, though. I haven't been blessed with my R yet, but maybe the internets are slow tonight. Does a story automatically go to "under review" with Clarkesworld when it's submitted, or does that mean it's actually being poked with a stick somewhere?
MeretSeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #2630
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeretSeger View Post
Ack, sorry! You'll crack 'em, though. I haven't been blessed with my R yet, but maybe the internets are slow tonight. Does a story automatically go to "under review" with Clarkesworld when it's submitted, or does that mean it's actually being poked with a stick somewhere?
It will show as Pending or Received or what-not. Under Review means a slush reader has already downloaded it. Of course, someone might download a story and then have to go deal with other stuff and not get to read it for another day... so our Rejectomancy games are for entertainment purposes only
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #2631
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
It will show as Pending or Received or what-not. Under Review means a slush reader has already downloaded it. Of course, someone might download a story and then have to go deal with other stuff and not get to read it for another day... so our Rejectomancy games are for entertainment purposes only
It is psychologically disturbing. Or perhaps I am just disturbed and that's why I do it.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #2632
Sea Witch
Stirring the word cauldron

Sea Witch is well-respected
I was sniffing around Duotrope today looking at markets, and I came across Punchnel's. They take fiction and poetry, but they also take NF. I'm mentioning it here because I never even explored the fiction guidelines.

Anyway, if there are any NF writers among us, they are actively looking for some short NF pieces for some of their regular features. I was seduced by this, alas, and sent them a NF essay....so I'm still trying to place my W1S1...

2012 W1S1 (Subs = 11, Pubs = 3)
WIP WC = 42,000/80,000
Stop by my blog and leave a comment!
http://quinceandquilt.blogspot.com/
Sea Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #2633
Literateparakeet
Nerdy Budgie

Literateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolnessLiterateparakeet leaves trails of profuse coolness
Thanks for sharing Sea Witch. I looked at the website, and I am now sidetracked as well, LOL!

Website/Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Touching His Robe: available in August
Literateparakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #2634
goldmund
---

goldmund is well-respected
Ack, stupid, stupid!
I edited and re-edited one story and finally late at night unable to take it anymore I sent it to several top markets only to discover today that I cut out a passage and inserted it 4 pages later in the story... only I didn't cut it, just copied, so the passage appears twice. It's just 3 sentences of characterization, but still, so sloppy!
goldmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 AM   #2635
Taylor V

Taylor V is on a distinguished road
Anyone gotten their Dark Faith responses yet? Duotrope says some have been sent out.

My Flash Fiction Blog (Last updated 12/27/12: "On Speaking With Ghosts)
Taylor V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 AM   #2636
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor V View Post
Anyone gotten their Dark Faith responses yet? Duotrope says some have been sent out.
Nadda on this end. But then again, I did submit on the last day, so I don't expect to hear anything for awhile.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #2637
akaSylvia
Doesn't Bite

akaSylvia is on a distinguished road
I subbed in the first week of Jan, not heard back yet. I noticed the Duotrope response received was two days older than my sub, so if they are working through them in order, mine's due in three ... two... one...
akaSylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2638
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewelJ.W. Alden is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just got my February W1S1 submission out in the nick of time. Off to Clarkesworld you go, little bird. Please don't fly back in 2 days. :P

Read me:

"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
"Battle Lines" in Plasma Frequency Magazine
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #2639
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
I think it's pretty cool how everyone checks in here. Wishing all of you the best as we wait... and wait... and wait...
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #2640
OtterFactory
figuring it all out

OtterFactory is on a distinguished road
So, according to duotrope's stats, I'm about ten days beyond the "average acceptance wait time" stat (where it shows the average wait time for acceptances) for a rather challenging market. Would it be really dumb of me to assume a rejection and begin to submit the story elsewhere?
OtterFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #2641
Sea Witch

Sometimes I read an "editor's statement" on Duotrope, and I don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about. NEXT. Does anyone ever feel that way?

And once I was looking at the guidelines for a market, and they listed at least 25 things they *don't* want. I didn't even get to the bottom of the list. Tough to write a story and then go down the list, did I mention this? did I mention that? what's my ending? NEXT.

WIP WC = 42,000/80,000
Old 02-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #2642
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterFactory View Post
So, according to duotrope's stats, I'm about ten days beyond the "average acceptance wait time" stat (where it shows the average wait time for acceptances) for a rather challenging market. Would it be really dumb of me to assume a rejection and begin to submit the story elsewhere?
Unless the market explicitly states that they only reply for acceptances (and very few short fiction markets I've seen have that policy), then I wouldn't proceed in that manner.

A polite query to ensure that your story was received and is still under consideration would probably be your best bet, in my opinion.

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #2643
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Witch View Post
Sometimes I read an "editor's statement" on Duotrope, and I don't have the slightest idea what they're talking about. NEXT. Does anyone ever feel that way?

And once I was looking at the guidelines for a market, and they listed at least 25 things they *don't* want. I didn't even get to the bottom of the list. Tough to write a story and then go down the list, did I mention this? did I mention that? what's my ending? NEXT.
There is one on there that might as well read the wolf howls in its icewater mansion...Seriously. I subbed to it to see if I accidentally wrote what they were looking for. Nope. I was kind of relieved.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #2644
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterFactory View Post
Don't assume! I've gotten rejections way later than average acceptance, which must mean I could have been an acceptance, so don't assume you're out.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #2645
Sea Witch

Re: not hearing anything past the usual time frame

Don't assume anything. Send them a polite email. For my first submission and first acceptance, and I didn't receive anything at all, yea or nay. Two weeks past when I thought I would have heard, I got an email from the Editor-in-Chief, saying "we loved your story, and BTW can you also do a NF essay for us for the same issue?" I emailed her back and said yeah, I'd love to, but I didn't even know the story was accepted. She said, "i'll look into that. it's not supposed to happen like that."

WIP WC = 42,000/80,000
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #2646
OtterFactory
figuring it all out

OtterFactory is on a distinguished road
Thanks, all! Query sent.
OtterFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #2647
mhaynes

mhaynes has a spectacular aura
Totally unrelated to writing, but I was tickled to see that a hockey-related tweet of mine was featured in a National Post (Canada) article. (Mine is at the very end of the article.)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-more-bearable

mhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #2648
SmallThing
Eek!

SmallThing is well-respected
I'm having an argh moment.

There's something about writing that makes me feel like a toddler. That frustrating sense of sense of knowing what I want to do and not being capable of doing it yet. (I say yet because it's nice to be optimistic.)
SmallThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #2649
MeretSeger
The Alydar of Writers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaynes View Post
Totally unrelated to writing, but I was tickled to see that a hockey-related tweet of mine was featured in a National Post (Canada) article. (Mine is at the very end of the article.)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...-more-bearable
That was a great exchange. nice to see not all sports corps are humorless monoliths.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #2650
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallThing View Post
I'm having an argh moment.

There's something about writing that makes me feel like a toddler. That frustrating sense of sense of knowing what I want to do and not being capable of doing it yet. (I say yet because it's nice to be optimistic.)
I get that all the time. Sooo frustrating. "Story, why can't i write you like you are in my head?"

I got reviewed! I had a story come out last year in a NZ lit zine, Takahe. And this morning i got an email from the review review telling me they'd reviewed issue #73 of Takahe on their site, and that i got a mention. It was a nice mention (almost a double-mention), too The full review is here.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote