Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Write 1/Sub 1
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #526
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats everyone! (sorry, there's so many people to pat on the back)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #527
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

Nathaniel Katz has a spectacular aura
Great work, Milo. Looking forward to seeing the story pop into my inbox

@Aggy: I shall be tuning in on August 4th then, it seems. I don't remember if I ever told you, but I liked The Bed quite a bit.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #528
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've got some braggage too.

short-story.me has bought Goldar the Unwieldy, my first W1S1 story, for publication. It's a light-hearted, somewhat satirical, fantasy piece. Not sure when it'll be up yet, but i'll let y'all know when it is.

Also, i've bought the cover art for issue #1 of C&C. And it's awesome. Here's a sneak peek at a small portion of the image: Sneaky-peekage.

Last edited by Izz; 06-30-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: unnecessary commas are the bane of my existence
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #529
AnnieColleen
Re-NaNoing

AnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAnnieColleen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ooh, fun pic!

And congrats!

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
~Neil Gaiman
Old 06-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #530
pangalactic
Gargling blasters

pangalactic has a spectacular aura
Awesome :-)

http://www.chrisbissette.com
I'm writing a story a day for a year. Come say hello!

@pangalactic
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #531
shelleyo
Just another face in a red jumpsuit

shelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputation
Congrats, guys!

Shelley
Old 06-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #532
Lillie
practical experience, FTW
Official AW W1S1 Badge Wrangler

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Congrats to Aggy and Izz.

And Yay! for the cover. That looks great.

Published stories

Most recent publications
Far From Shore at Bent Masses
Heads you Win at Comets and Criminals
Blood and Water at Every Day Fiction

The random blog of randomness http://lydiasgray.blogspot.com/

Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #533
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Annie, Chris, Shelley and Lillie.

Lillie, wait 'til you see the whole picture. It rocks.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #534
Sagana

Sagana is a shiny, shiny jewelSagana is a shiny, shiny jewel
Congrats Izz! And I'd never heard of that market - it looks like a good one. So thanks also

And the cover is awesome.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #535
Lillie

Lillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admirationLillie has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
Lillie, wait 'til you see the whole picture. It rocks.
Do you know, it's really exciting for me just to watch C&C happening. It must be wild for you!

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #536
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

Very cool cover, Izz. Totally fits the tone the name brings to mind.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #537
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Thanks, Nat.

Actually, Lillie, i'm more nervous than excited. Strange, huh?

And, things seem to be happening thick and fast for me at the moment. I've just been notified that i've received an honorable mention in the second quarter of WoTF. If you take one of the letters out of that acronym you'll get my initial response

Last edited by Izz; 07-01-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #538
shelleyo

shelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputationshelleyo has a golden reputation
Quote:
I've just been notified that i've received an honorable mention in the second quarter of WoTF. If you take one of the letters out of that acronym you'll get my initial response
Awesome, Sam!

Shelley
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #539
Lillie

That's wonderful!
Congratulations!

I suppose I can understand you being nervous about C&C. But I'm sure everything will work out great with it.

Published stories

Most recent publications

Old 07-01-2011, 03:00 AM   #540
SmallThing
Eek!

SmallThing is well-respected
Quote:
I've just been notified that i've received an honorable mention in the second quarter of WoTF. If you take one of the letters out of that acronym you'll get my initial response
Congrats! I'm so glad things are taking off for you, Izz. C&C looks like it's going to be great, and hopefully great to work on as well.

Also, I got an HM from WotF today too.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #541
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallThing View Post

w00t!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #542
shelleyo

Quote:
Hmm?

Quote:
fify

Shelley
Old 07-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #543
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Question: how do i report this to duotrope? A personal rejection?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 AM   #544
SmallThing
Eek!

SmallThing is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleyo View Post
Hmm?

fify

Shelley

Quote:
Question: how do i report this to duotrope? A personal rejection?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:05 AM   #545
Wattsi
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Wattsi is on a distinguished road
Wow, you guys are really doing great! Congrats to all in their respective markets.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #546
Sagana

Sagana is a shiny, shiny jewelSagana is a shiny, shiny jewel
Wheee for the honorables from WoTF. Congrats!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #547
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Congrats on the Honorable Mentions from WotF folks! I have a small braggage as well - a W1S1 flash story of mine called "Pel's Crusade" was posted today by Golden Visions Magazine and can be read here (Scroll down to PEL'S CRUSADE):

http://www.goldenvisionsmagazine.biz...011-Flash.html

I'm a little annoyed however, because the editor tacked on a sentence at the end of the story without checking with me. It's a twist story, and the sentence which was added works to "drive the point home" for anyone who did not get the twist. Think the last scene of "The Devil's Advocate" where the new guy tempting Keanu Reeves turns back into Al Pacino, for two and a half viewers so obtuse they did not realize what's happening otherwise. I always found that scene to be annoying and condescending to the viewer in an otherwise excellent movie.

If any of you take the time to read the story, could you please tell me if you think I'm right or if I am really off the mark and the editor had made an improvement? The sentence she added starts at "All thanks..."
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #548
Nathaniel Katz
The Evil Hat

First off, very amusing (and clever) story. As to the final sentence, I don't think it's too obtrusive in and of itself. Not needed, no, but hardly a deal breaker. The fact that it was added without your permission, however, is extremely Not Okay and probably means that I will never submit there.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #549
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, Nate. I am a little baffled as to how to best handle the situation. First off, I certainly am not trying to discourage anyone from submitting to GVM - the editors have been nothing but nice to me and I'm sure this is a misunderstanding that can be fixed - but I wanted to solicit opinions and advice from my friends here before reacting (overreacting?) to this.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #550
zanzjan
Eating French Toast
AW Moderator

zanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentszanzjan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshvartsman View Post
If any of you take the time to read the story, could you please tell me if you think I'm right or if I am really off the mark and the editor had made an improvement? The sentence she added starts at "All thanks..."
First off, I've never had an editor make changes with out least notifying me, and almost always passing them by me for my approval. That seems like a really big warning flag on this market right there.

Second, yes, that last line is cringe-worthy. The way it would have ended without it would have been just a tad too abrupt for my own tastes, but still, much better than what was done.

I do believe you have ample justification for feeling vexed.

-Suzanne

Podcast! StarShipSofa 346

"It's always wrong of course to say that you can't do this or you can't do that in fiction. You can do anything you can get away with, but nobody has ever gotten away with much." -- Flannery O'Connor
Closed Thread