Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Novel by Jonathan Safran Foer. Best recently-published novel I've read in a long time. Fantastic use of narrative voice, among other things. Recommend most highly.

Also has been made into an excellent movie starring Elijah Wood. This is a "premium" example of a very fine book being adapted into a very fine movie. It does happen now and then.

eward

Registered
Reaction score
Website
openpresencenow.com
I really enjoyed this book! I liked Alex's sections of the novel much more than Jonathan's, but it's a great piece of work.

I also love love love the movie. I think they sacrificed a bit, but you have to when converting a novel to a film. I wrote a book/movie analysis at my blog if people care.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is also great; I liked it a tad more. I guess they're making a movie of that, too. He's a talented author.

perspicacious

Registered
Reaction score
Hrm, interesting. I loved loved loved the book but found the movie very "bleh." I liked Alex in it, but beyond that it didn't thrill me.

I love all of Safran Foer's books though, including his nonfiction Eating Animals. Nice to see some other fans--usually I see people deriding him for his style. It's a little gimmicky at times, but overall I think it works and I don't think someone should be blasted just for attempting to be experimental.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
haven't read Everything is Illuminated yet (partly cause I watched the movie and thus know generally what happens) but I'm currently reading Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's fantastic. I don't know if I've ever seen an author do voice so well. You should definitely check it out blacbird.